Thread: Greetings from Maryland

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default Greetings from Maryland

Hello, all.

I'm new to these boards, but I've been bowling off and on for roughly 20 years. My parents actually met in a bowling league, but I never took an interest as a kid. As a young adult, someone bought me a bowling ball as a gift, and the PSO who drilled it for me twisted my arm (hard!) to talk me into joining a casual league he was starting. I ultimately did, and I got hooked (pun intended).

Over the next 10 years, I wound up being a steady member of one league, eventually becoming league president for a couple of years, and at one point, was in three leagues at the same time. My high scratch game/series during that period of time was 279/692, both during the California State annual tournament. At my peak, I had a high season average of 197, but that came back down into the 180s. Eventually, I drifted away from bowling, other than casually on weekends, due to work and life obligations.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, living on the other side of the country, when I managed a partial tear in my left ACL playing tennis (my other passion). It has never healed properly, and since I can't play tennis any longer (I can bend the knee mostly without pain, but I can't pivot on it), I turned back to bowling last summer so I'd have a fun hobby again. I joined my first league in about five years this past September. I've tried to really commit, doing all the reading about bowling and watching of the available streams (FloBowling and BowlTV) and professional broadcasts I can. I've been working hard and taking every opportunity I can to practice, and I've worked my way up to a 199 average so far this season. I'm also participating in my first tournament in probably 15 years this coming weekend. During the summer, I plan to seek out a proper coach.

All of that to say that I love the sport, and I hope to keep getting better at it. I plan to learn everything I can from these forums, and with any luck, maybe contribute a little, too! Nice to meet you all!

Welcome to the boards!
    If you or your company would like to advertise on BowlingBoards.com, PM me.

Add this to your signature to show your support for BowlingBoards.com and the Bowling Forums

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Good luck in your tournament!!!