Thread: Received an invite to a Ron Clifton clinic

Chats: 1

Default Received an invite to a Ron Clifton clinic

Because I've ordered Magic Carpet from his website, I've received an invite to a bowling clinic being held in NJ. He's going to have Marianne DiRupo (ex-pwba) there as well. Has anyone here gone to any of his clinics? If so, what was good, and what was bad?
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 204

I haven't heard of that clinic.

I HAVE received an offer to go to Camp Bakkes...but that offer was more of a "yeah, you should come...if you have $2,000-$3,000 and a week of vacation time to burn".

Someday...someday...
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 1

I attended the clinic last week. My biggest issue was timing. Ron Clifton had me throw a couple of balls for him while he was filming me. He then went over the film in slow motion showing me what I was doing right, and why my timing was off. It was my pushaway. He had me tweak a couple of things in my stance, and had me standing 6" further back on the approach. I could feel the difference immediately. He saw a couple of other things which he wanted to correct once I had a chance to throw a few balls after the tweaks. Funny thing is that once my timing was back in sync. The other problems disappeared. Marianne Dirupo gave me an number of things to work on when I bowl on sport conditions. It was worth the $275 for the 2 days, even better I won a pair of Dexter SST 8 pro bowling shoes that they raffled off. Now I have to practice to get those changes engraved into my muscle memory.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJim View Post
    I attended the clinic last week. My biggest issue was timing. Ron Clifton had me throw a couple of balls for him while he was filming me. He then went over the film in slow motion showing me what I was doing right, and why my timing was off. It was my pushaway. He had me tweak a couple of things in my stance, and had me standing 6" further back on the approach. I could feel the difference immediately. He saw a couple of other things which he wanted to correct once I had a chance to throw a few balls after the tweaks. Funny thing is that once my timing was back in sync. The other problems disappeared. Marianne Dirupo gave me an number of things to work on when I bowl on sport conditions. It was worth the $275 for the 2 days, even better I won a pair of Dexter SST 8 pro bowling shoes that they raffled off. Now I have to practice to get those changes engraved into my muscle memory.
    That's great. Fixing your pushaway is a perfect example of a cause and symptom. Like if someone can't post their shot and falls off balance, that would be a symptom and a cause would be something like a late pushaway. I'm probably due for a lesson, will have to look at some of the available clinics that may be in my area this summer.

I looked at a 4 day bowling camp program that travels to a few major cities (Dick Ritger), but the timing for the closest city (Las Vegas) didn't match with my schedule (although Vegas is always fun). Anyway, what I did instead was schedule a standing one hour private lessons appointment with the local pro shop owner (gold coach cert) for every Tuesday afternoon for a month running. The last couple of sessions we simply bowled 3 or 4 games together and he always has some interesting points (Do/Don't or Try ideas). It's really helping me to know the corner cases and also I'm reading thee lane conditions faster. I'm thinking of extending the standing appointment for a second month... maybe.
    Recently retired and returning to bowing after a 12 year break
    Slower ball speed with dominate revs, prefer strait at the pocket but deep is fine too
    In my bag... Storm Phase 3, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Storm IQ Tour Emerald, 900 Global White Hot Badger, Motiv Venom Recoil, and Motiv Supra Enzo

Quote Originally Posted by six6guy View Post
    although Vegas is always fun
    Speaking of Las Vegas while visiting there this past weekend I ran into an instructor who worked well with me and my needs named Howie Partell. He holds what he calls bowling improvement clinics for a very reasonable cost. They last two hours for $15. My wife and I attended a morning clinic at Sunset Station. There were a total of about 8 bowlers each with our own lane. He went up and down the lanes working with each of us as needed over the two hour period. He also holds these clinics at Texas Station and South Point Bowling Center.

While not for everyone based upon their needs it worked well for my wife and I. He has regulars there and they speak highly of how Howie and this approach has helped their game.