Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix a wet spot on your shoe?

Chats: 204

Question How to fix a wet spot on your shoe?

Okay, this is a pretty simple, beginner-like question...but;

The second to last week of league, I must have stepped in something wet. Maybe someone had a wet shoe from outside or dropped an ice cube or whatever. Regardless, I noticed on one of my shots that I stuck a little and then noticed a small wet spot on my sliding foot.

Now, I didn't have much of an issue with this in the past because:
    1) I bowled in California and it literally rained 7 times a year...and no snow.
    2) I'm not super-picky about my slide. I don't want to slide or have an approach that is too slick...but it's not a major issue the way it is with some bowlers.

Anyways, the way I was shown how to fix a wet spot on your sliding shoe was:
    1) Buy shoe covers for when you're walking around the non-bowling area (which I have...but I didn't go anywhere outside the bowling area).
    2) If you get a wet spot...take some ultra-glide powder (or whatever you use)...apply it to the wet spot...work it into the sole with your hand...then wipe any excess off so it doesn't get on the lanes.

Well, when I went to put the ultra-glide on my shoe...one of the teammates about fell over and was worried that I'd get the sliding powder on the lane and someone would fall. And I get that...many newer bowlers will try to adjust their slide by just patting ultra-glide on their shoe...not wiping the excess off...and then the approach gets a little slick...so I understand his concern.

But, I was just fixing a wet spot on my shoe. I then patted/wiped all the excess off the sliding pad. When I realized how worried he was, I even went and got my wire brush and did a little extra work to make sure it was all off.

So, I know you don't want to put the sliding powder on your shoes and then get it on the approach...people can slip...I got that. But if you step on a drop of water...and you have a wet spot on your shoe...I'm not aware of any other way to dry it. I suppose maybe you could pat it with a paper towel...then wire brush it to death...but I don't think that will truly wick up all the moisture.

This center...the main traffic and bowler seating area are kinda tight...so there is no separate bowling area where the bowlers can sit where there are no street shoes/beverages. This is the first house I've bowled league at that doesn't have the two areas separated.

I have numerous soles of various grades of slide if I absolutely needed to change out the soles...just seemed like overkill for a tiny spot. I'm sure pros have interchangeable soles/pads, an endless supply, and changes of shoes if needed...not to mention they tend to bowl on well-prepared conditions...but what about the rest of you? How do you deal with a shoe that gets a wet spot?
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Not much you can really do here sometimes it just screws the night up. In a rainier area you will have to wear your shoe covers more. Many serious bowlers here wear shoe covers anytime they aren't on the approach. I'm not that bad with it but I don't step on too the carpeted area here without them on.

The only solutions I've seen otherwise are: What you did with easy slide (not popular), Placing cigarette ashes on the soles in the old days, carrying an extra sole if you have interchangeable (I do this), and carry an extra slide shoe (a pain but I've seen guys so this).
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Our center has a little powder box by the counter. If I run to the restroom or have trouble sticking I go step on it. It has a piece of carpet in it with a little power on it but by the time you walk back to your lane the regular carpeted floor gets rid of any excess.

But I have thought about this before. I have interchangeable soles so if I really needed to I could put a different one on. I don't slide much anyway so not much difference between an S8 and S10 for me
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Things like ultra-glide are not really for drying. it can get gummy something when wet.

For a small spot you could use a "Dry bag" pat it on there so you get a lot of the dust coming out on to the spot, then rub it in and then brush off.

or a little bit of talc, just rub in then brush off.

or If the restroom has a hand dryer just hold the shoe under it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Having additional soles and heels with you is not just for alternatives for different conditions, it's also a good idea to have duplicates of the soles and heels that you use most of the time in case a "small wet spot" appears on the bottom of your shoe. Putting anything on the bottom of your shoes is a really bad idea!

Pin Crusher

As an older guy who is 73 this Friday at 6'2" at 240 lbs. It isn't easy putting on the shoe covers that seem to be too small and hard to get on. I found a perfect replacement. They are called Tidytrax. Just step in and walk away. Easy on and easy off. Cost was about $40 I ordered them on line. Amazon I think. I get asked about them every time I bowl. Best money I ever spent.
    Google them!

Chats: 204

Ooo...those (Tidytrax) look cool.

Hair dryer? or hand dryer in bathroom?

I have replaceable sole shoes (Dexter SST Tanks) and spare sole in the bag... so I replace the sole with the same slide level.

Brad
    Recently retired and returning to bowing after a 12 year break
    Slower ball speed with dominate revs, prefer strait at the pocket but deep is fine too
    In my bag... Storm Phase 3, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Storm IQ Tour Emerald, 900 Global White Hot Badger, Motiv Venom Recoil, and Motiv Supra Enzo

When this happens to me, I just squeeze/press the spot with a few napkins. Usually takes 2-3 at least.

Also, don’t bother with the cheap shoe covers. Spend the extra fiver, and get something durable.

Cranker

Interchangeable soles is the way to go. I use the buck skin leather sole which are about the S8 and I usually have one or two spares in the bag. Also have a S10 and S6 sole in case I need more or less slide on a given night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast