Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newb from Kc

Default Newb from Kc

Hey everyone. Newb here from Kc. Thanks for having me, I used to bowl in leagues as I was growing up. Never had any real equipment for me. Always second hand or hand me down stuff that was never actually set up for me. I am going to get into some casual fun leagues and see how it goes. I was looking at a league here that is a 2 ball league where you get the 2 balls drilled for you and those are the only 2 that are used for the league. They are using the Hustle ink and a halo pearl.

Chats: 204

Not sure how I'd use a Hustle Ink and Halo Pearl combination.

Do you start with the solid coverstock/more surface of the weaker Hustle? Then transition to the longer, polished pearl Halo.

Or, do you throw some surface on the Halo Pearl...knock some surface off the Hustle...and try to use the stronger, surfaced Halo with it's lower RG...then ball down to a much weaker Hustle with the surface taken off of it?

That's one of the problems with "free ball" leagues...you end up with two balls that you might not really want or really want to use together.

Welcome to the site. Sticking around and soaking in some of the information from the conversations will certainly give you an edge as you move forward. I'm not the best bowler on league night...but I've held my own against more experienced bowlers because I at least know some "stuff" that many bowlers don't know. Learning how bowling balls work, how lane conditions work, techniques on adjustment and ball changes. Not that anyone here is a real "expert", nor is there a high % of agreement on some issues...but if ya don't want to invest the time/money in a subscription to BowlingThisMonth (or similar)...ya at least have a watered down (but free) place with a diverse group of conversations...and Bowlingball.com has the Bowlversity area where you can learn a great deal at no cost. Bowl1820 will often post links to free video content on the web from places like the USBC and Team USA bowling. Lots of "info" out there.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I honestly don't know jack about surfaces and what to look for. They both seem pretty aggressive movement haver's for sure. We can change the surface though so that may be something to think about, if i knew what the hell i was looking at. hahahahah

Both balls come in 1500 grit polished finished so Aslan or some other well knowledge person teach me about finishes and what it will do to the action of the ball? I assume the high grit is smoother finished which would decrease the spin action?

Chats: 256

I would certainly go with Halo Pearl first and maybe knock the polish off of it to maybe a 2000-3000 grit surface. Then leaving the Hustle INK at the out of box surface finish.

Halo Pearl will be good for beginning games when on fresh oil. The dull/lower grit surface will get the ball to read a bit sooner through the heads and then into the middle of the lane before it makes it's move to the pocket. Then I would transition to Hustle.

Both balls are really nice choices.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 204

I would 'sort of' agree with VDub.

I guess if I had the choice...I'd take the Halo Pearl down to 2000 matte. You may need more/less depending on rev rate/lane conditons. That should give you a ball that is strong enough for a typical fresh shot. I don't think the OOB polished pearl is going to turn soon enough.

I'd then take some surface off the Hustle and make it my ball down option. Probably 500/1000/1500 then Storm Step 2...no resin polish.

I don't like the setup because you're taking a ball designed to go long and snap...and trying to make it have a controllable, earlier hook. Then, you're taking a solid cover ball and trying to make it go longer. Seems like you're working against what the balls are designed to do. BUT...I don't think you'd get enough performance out of the Hustle Ink if that's the first ball out of the bag....unless we're talking a high rev rate and/or dry or wood conditions. And if you don't get enough (or any) carrydown...and switch to the Halo Pearl...it's gonna over-react.

So, I'd take my chances with Halo Pearl at 2000 matte then Hustle Ink at 1500/Step 2.

But I'd also defer to VDub given he's practically a professional...AND he has a man crush on Rotogrip...where as I'm more of an entry-level middle school talent and thus far haven't found a Rotogrip ball I would rather throw than give away.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Balls are supposed to be ready Friday for pick-up, so i will roll them and see how they react and go from there i guess. I was looking at the comparator on the site and both in review and the hustle looks like a late freight train going into the pocket.

this stuff is all new to me. The last ball i had was a blue rhino matte

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

So here's the un-realistic guy in the group. I'd grab the Halo Pearl, and rev it. I'm a huge fan of late-breaking equipment, which is most like why all my solid stuff ends up polished. If you throw a decent amount of speed and rev, this is my suggestion, FWIW.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I know a few people who have the Hustle Ink and to me that's a good benchmark ball. It's very controllable and works well on most conditions and I would have said that would be the ball you start with. The Halo Pearl looks a lot snappier to me so that would be a ball I play later in transition when I have to move in and trust the ball is going to be able to snap back to the pocket. As for adjusting surface, I would say throw both balls first and then adjust accordingly, the OOB surface may be perfect for you and your lane conditions.

ya i am going to try them when they get drilled this week. i normally roll in the 15-17 mph range i haven't ever seen my rev speed so i don't know that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast