Thread: newb ball question

Default newb ball question

Hey everyone I was looking at a league here that is a 2 ball league where you get the 2 balls drilled for you and those are the only 2 that are used for the league. They are using the Hustle ink and a halo pearl. I know they are both 1500 grit polished finished out of the box. I am a returning bowling from many moons ago and these will get me started again and back in leagues. But i am looking for some good insight on ways to refinish these or leave one and change one. I normally try to get between center arrow and 2nd arrow right.

Thanks

Before you decide to change a surface because they're the same, look at the cores. Are the cores the same? Check the symmetry, the low RG, and the Differential, then decide about the surface.

Chats: 256

Just posted my suggestion in your Introduction post, and if it were me, I would take Halo Pearl to a duller 2000-3000 surface and leave Hustle at out of box polished.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

the pearl is asymmetric while the hustle is symmetric.

pearl is a 2.49 rg and a .050 differential

the hustle is 2.53 rg and a .030 differential

i am new to all this stuff so bear with me.

Chats: 204

I also posted in the introduction thread:

Halo Pearl 2000 matte
    Hustle Ink 1500 w Step 2
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

The balls with be different due to cores and the cover stocks being quite a bit different. Wait until your game develops some before changing anything. In generally you should have a strong pearl and a good step down pieces their. Until you understand where the pieces fit your game you want know how to change them. You can get different advice from bowlers on how the balls would effect their game but not yours. Aslan tends to be higher speed reduced hand, myself I'm a lower speed heavy hand bowler. So we both have different ideas on how to set them up. Once you bowl for a while figure out what's working for you where we can help more by understanding how you play the lanes. Don't be surprised if over time how your game can change too.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Got the balls and rolled the first week of league last tuesday. the next week is tonight. I struggled with consistant release points due to sticking my slide foot on one lane and worrying about it on the other. I need to find some shoes with a slide heel pad as well.

But at the end of the last game i realized i was getting to far under the ball trying to over rev it and couldn't hit a consistant line, so i took my hand from under the ball completely to a more outside the ball and led to 4 out of 6 strikes to end the night. So we will see how tonight goes.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by 93Notch View Post
    Got the balls and rolled the first week of league last tuesday. the next week is tonight. I struggled with consistant release points due to sticking my slide foot on one lane and worrying about it on the other. I need to find some shoes with a slide heel pad as well.

But at the end of the last game i realized i was getting to far under the ball trying to over rev it and couldn't hit a consistant line, so i took my hand from under the ball completely to a more outside the ball and led to 4 out of 6 strikes to end the night. So we will see how tonight goes.
    Are you wearing house shoes? If so You may seriously want to consider at least a cheap pair of bowling shoes. Don't think you have to spend big money on them but even $40 are much better than most house shoes.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone