Thread: Ball Motion 1: The basics of Layout, surface and bowling Characteristics

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Ball Motion 1: The basics of Layout, surface and bowling Characteristics

Ball Motion 1: The basics of Layout, surface and bowling Characteristics

Lane Side Reviews
    Streamed live on Apr 23, 2019
    Welcome to the basics of ball motion. Before we can talk about HOW we do it, we need to understand WHO you are as a bowler, and how you are affected by layout and surface.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 204

I'll have to watch the rest of it later. I haven't made it all the way through the layout stuff.

Early "issues"...how many pro shop operators "truly" understand all of this well enough to accurately do the kinds of things he's talking about? I think you'll go to 70-90% of pro shops and they'll ask ya whether you want it pin up or pin down...or they'll ask ya what ya want it to do....which most bowlers will say, "go long and snap and strike more." Is a PSO gonna watch you bowl? Video tape your ball going down the lane? Figure out your PAP and dual angles? Fit all that together with your ability and the balls you've selected?? Ighhh...probably not.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 204

I'm anxious to see his second installment..AND..I love these guys and their ball review videos...these guys and bowlingball.com do great reaction videos.

However,
    After giving it some thought...here are the 'issues' with Video #1

1) 75-95% of pro shop operators are not at the level where they can do what Rob is saying they should or can. And it's convenient to say, "well, find a good ball driller that is certified, etc..."...but for some people...that may require traveling hours and hours to find said ball driller. And...even IF you find a guy you're comfortable knows their **poo**...they might not.

I used to use MWhite as my ball driller. Mike, like him or not, impressed me as:
    1) He was generally intelligent. You may not have always agreed with him...but he was a smart guy.
    2) He was experienced.
    3) Again, agree with him or not, he did seem very up to speed on ball motion, dynamics, specs, etc...
    4) Mike did a LOT of work that no other PSO I've went to...does. He measured the ball, did the span...all that stuff...but he also weighed the ball, made sure it was tournament legal...made sure it was within bowling ball size limits, etc... He spent a lot more time drilling the ball than any other PSO I've encountered.

The 'problem' is...depending on who you ask...some might say MWhite was 'wrong' about a lot of his ideas. That's not to knock Mike...I think if you gathered 10 PSO experts in a room...selected at random...you're HIGHLY unlikely to get 100% agreement on anything.

Since MWhite retired...I've used a PSO that drilled balls for a pro...so I figured they must know what they're doing. And now, with limited options...I use the best pro shop in the area...younger tournament bowlers...I think one is a Brunswick staffer...but I can't say with any confidence they know this 'stuff' that Rob Johnson is talking about.

2) Rob's "ball care" stuff...AGAIN...we've discussed this in the past...the casual bowler simply CANNOT and WILL NOT be able to do what he's recommending.

A) Surface changes by hand are a joke. That means you need a spinner. Even the cheapest one...not counting supplies...you're talking $90. If you go to your PSO for these surface adjustments...thats $15-$35 each time...we'll say a 2-ball arsenal...50 weeks of bowling per year...1.5 games per league night...one league...that's 50 * 1.5 = 75 games per ball. An adjustment every 15 games (being conservative) is 5 per year per ball...that's $75-$525 per ball in surfacing costs. Add in a once per year rejuvination and complete resurfacing...each ball...that's another $55 per ball...so you're talking ball maintenance by a PSO of $130-$580 per ball. To average that out and apply it to two balls: $710 per year in ball maintenance costs.

So...do you maintain two balls for a full year? Or buy a new, high performance ball every 4 months? The cost is the same.

Same thing with "buy these cleaners"...OBVIOUSLY he's going to say that. But the mark-up on bowling products is SUBSTANTIAL. We're not talking 20-40% We're talking 200-400%. Do you make a gallon of cleaner that lasts you 2-3 years...or buy one little spray bottle of cleaner that lasts 3 months?

To be FAIR: He also made some really, really good points:
    1) You can't get an ideal angle without knowing the game of the bowler. There is no ideal drilling layout that works well for everyone.
    2) Don't work AGAINST the specs of the ball. He talked a lot about that in terms of drilling...I talk alot about that in terms of specs and arsenals...but same concept.
    3) The stuff that comes out of a ball when you leave it in your car...isn't all oil. If there's one things I may have to break down and pay to have my PSO do...it's oil removal. The ball dehydrator doesn't seem to be getting the job done...and once I go to more drastic measures of soaking or a dishwasher...you could damage the ball and remove some of the plasticizers...Rob is correct about that.

In SUMMARY:
    Like my other buddy RobM...I LOVE the data...and the specs...and the physics...I just wonder about the applicability to 95% of bowlers. How can we, as non-professional bowlers, utilize this information to better our game...when PSO ability/availability and cost is a significant factor??
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!