Thread: Ball Motion 2: The SCIENCE of Bowling Equipment OR How I met your Arsenal

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Ball Motion 2: The SCIENCE of Bowling Equipment OR How I met your Arsenal

Ball Motion 2: The SCIENCE of Bowling Equipment OR How I met your Arsenal

Welcome to part 2 of ball motion. This time we're going to look at the science of bowling equipment, and use it to build the best 6-8 ball arsenal you can have!

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 204

I see equations...this should be fun...

Hopefully he figured out how to work his microphone this time.

Do I "feel" vindicated that Rob Johnson pretty much designed a system I designed 2 years ago and everybody laughed at me about??

Yes, to some degree.

Aslan Rulez!

In "theory" he seems to put stock in RG values...but if you look at his arsenal...his highest RG ball is 2.49. I guess with his rev rate...if his speed is high enough...that makes sense.

I looked at the values, and his HCB, MCB, HAB, DAB match up to my progression system...for the most part. He's able to utilize more surface and more symmetric cores than I can. For my characteristics, too much surface seems to make the ball roll out too early. And I've had better luck with assymetric cores...so long as I keep my release somewhat consistent. I think the MCB is a good fresh oil guideline...and I think he's spot on about dropping down to the MCB. And his DAB specs are very similar to my dry ball specs...just I'd go symmetric at that point.

The trouble I have is the third dropdown. If you go to the DCB...and there's carrydown (especially if your DCB ball is urethane)...your ball isn't gonna turn at the breakpoint. I could see the MAB...but I don't have the hand/power to make a weaker/higher RG ball work the way he does...so I'd go with a HAB. But, something to think about...maybe I should look at a DCB or MAB in that spot as I continue developing my model.
    Last edited by Aslan; 05-03-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!