Thread: Dealing with Drift

Chats: 0

Question Dealing with Drift

I bowled for 10-ish years and got pretty good, then I took a 12+ year break... and I'm having to relearn some of the finer points of bowling. A good part of this effort is physical, I'm 62 now and I can't physically do the same things I did when he was 50 (not without pain the next day). For sure my ball speed and rev rate are not as high as it was (but still it's pretty high) and I figure to just deal with lower speed and revs and work on accuracy. Anyway it's an ongoing process for me.

The next thing I'm wanting to work on is drift and I'm looking for some self training tips here. Last night I kept my slide foot (my left) still at the line until after the ball hits the pins and then paid attention to where it was positioned. I'm drifting 3-5 boards and my angle on the pocket reflects it. I do migrate a couple boards right from start to finish, but I have always done that.

Anyway, I'm right handed and I use a 4 step approach. My 1st step (right foot) is slightly a crossover step to help stage my hips for the swing. Should I pay attention for a consistent amount of crossover in my crossover step?

Any training exercises you can recommend for solo training drift issues? I'm not against buying some coaching time but I'd like to try and resolve myself if I can (seems to stick better for me that way).

Thanks in advance
    Brad
    Recently retired and returning to bowing after a 12 year break
    Slower ball speed with dominate revs, prefer strait at the pocket but deep is fine too
    In my bag... Storm Phase 3, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Storm IQ Tour Emerald, 900 Global White Hot Badger, Motiv Venom Recoil, and Motiv Supra Enzo

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

The only drill I can really think of is to set your ideal walking path on the lanes with some painters tape (would not recommend the slide step) and then video record you bowling. This way you could potentially identify at what point you are experiencing the drift and maybe could identify what needs to be remedied. The concern I have with this method is if you don't know how to identify or correct what is causing this issue you may do more damage than harm by yourself (you may notice that your third step is out of line, but if you don't know why you are getting off line and/or how to fix that problem you may create a bad habit/issue trying to force your feet in the positions you want). Remember that your footwork is very much a foundational part of your game and can cause significant chain reactions, positive and negative, when adjusting.

I think the bigger part of this is managing the amount you drift; consistency is key and if you drift the same amount each time at least you would know where you are ending up and can line up off of that drift.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Chats: 32

As long as the drift is within a few boards and consistent I wouldn't worry about it too much. Try moving your feet a board or two left as long as the drift doesn't become larger it's not an issue. If you feel it's a real problem try video tapping yourself and find where the drift is happening then place a piece of tape where you feel that step should be practice stepping on the tape during your practice sessions. it should help you resolve the issue. Remember your footwork should be slightly arced to the left and then slide back to the right to finish around the same spot.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    As long as the drift is within a few boards and consistent I wouldn't worry about it too much. Try moving your feet a board or two left as long as the drift doesn't become larger it's not an issue. If you feel it's a real problem try video tapping yourself and find where the drift is happening then place a piece of tape where you feel that step should be practice stepping on the tape during your practice sessions. it should help you resolve the issue. Remember your footwork should be slightly arced to the left and then slide back to the right to finish around the same spot.
    Yea my steps are kinda arched, hard to describe is all.

1st step, right, 2 or 3 inches overlapping left foot (a crossover step)
    2nd step, left, strait up from previous left position
    3rd step, right, slightly right plant/push - I do turn on the ball of my foot maybe 30* for a stronger push
    4th step, left, soft step slight right of previous and slide - this ending position is normally a couple boards right of original left position (normal for me)

By drift I somehow intended to say my slide foot is 3-5 boards shifting/different from approach to approach. I may have always had this but didn't feel the effect as I previously had a higher rev rate.

You can simulate this effect, if you have a consistent approach, by intentionally and randomly moving your starting stance and aiming at the same target... 8 and 9 counts do come out.

I like the tape idea, it would take a while to position them if working solo but I think there is fruit here. I'll give it a try on my Friday practice.

Please, if somebody thinks of something better or that they themselves worked through, then don't be shy...

Thanks guys
    Brad
    Last edited by six6guy; 05-07-2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spell check
    Recently retired and returning to bowing after a 12 year break
    Slower ball speed with dominate revs, prefer strait at the pocket but deep is fine too
    In my bag... Storm Phase 3, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Storm IQ Tour Emerald, 900 Global White Hot Badger, Motiv Venom Recoil, and Motiv Supra Enzo

Chats: 256

Amyers mentioned being consistent in your drift, and, I 100% agree. I also have some drift in my approach of about 5 boards each and every time.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up