Thread: Finger Inserts Causing Redness

Chats: 0

Default Finger Inserts Causing Redness

Good Day to all,

To quickly preface, I'm in my mid 30's and last summer, decided to learn to bowl correctly with a proper hook & improve my game at the same time. I always averaged about 150 with a house ball, but last June I purchased a 15 pound Brunswick Rhino, and had it drilled with fingertips & inserts in said fingertips (no thumb insert). I also bought a Grip All Glove, and the Brunswick pre-cut protection tape to put on the two fingers & thumb.

Long story short, usually after about 3 or 4 games of bowling in a session, I start to develop almost a rug burn feeling under those fingers & thumb that I have the tape over, and was just curious as to what can possibly be causing this to occur. Whether or not the inserts I was recommended to get by the pro shop where I bought the ball are too small, or my form is causing too much friction, etc., it begins to be annoying after a while and wanted to inquire further.

Thankfully, the Rhino has helped my average bump up to around 170 or so (bowling for fun, I've never been in a league), and my next step is to figure out which would be a good Spare Ball to purchase for those corner pins that can be tricky with the one ball I have.

Thanks to all in advance for your time & much appreciated advice!
    Last edited by pmack18; 05-07-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Chats: 256

I would say a fit check is certainly in order. You say inserts that the pro shop recommended, but are they too tight?

A fit check will help to determine if your span is right and if you might need some pitch adjustments.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 32

Agree with Vdub have the fit checked. Could be you swell slightly and it you were having a unswolllen day when you were fitted. It happens. Wearing tape on your fingers you release with is unusual to me at least not sure that I've seen that. If the pro-shop fit you without the tape and you added it later that's possibly the problem also. Buy any spare ball you like that's cheap a plastic ball is pretty much a plastic ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    I would say a fit check is certainly in order. You say inserts that the pro shop recommended, but are they too tight?

A fit check will help to determine if your span is right and if you might need some pitch adjustments.
    The inserts themselves don't feel overly tight; however, I imagine with the tape I have on those two fingers, it might lessen the space just a bit, which could very possibly result in too much friction. Oddly enough, I also feel the same redness under the tape on the top of my thumb, but I have no thumb insert on my bowling ball. As mentioned, I might just need to bring it in somewhere and have a 2nd pair of capable eyes check it out further and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Agree with Vdub have the fit checked. Could be you swell slightly and it you were having a unswolllen day when you were fitted. It happens. Wearing tape on your fingers you release with is unusual to me at least not sure that I've seen that. If the pro-shop fit you without the tape and you added it later that's possibly the problem also. Buy any spare ball you like that's cheap a plastic ball is pretty much a plastic ball.
    I got the tape on my release fingers, after my first use of the ball without tape. The first few games I bowled with my ball, the redness was prominent on my fingers, which then resulted in me buying the tape strips to try & help a bit.

Thank you for the advice!

Chats: 256

Yeah, if you added tape on your fingers after the inserts were sized, they are too small. This would cause the fingers to have more friction on them for sure.

With your inserts, do you have the lifts on them? Maybe this is part of the friction you are feeling. The lifts also change the pitch of the fingers which would need to be adjusted to account for them if so.

You certainly should have pain in your fingers or thumb with a proper fit. Ball should fell like it is an extension of your hand and be without pain.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Yeah, if you added tape on your fingers after the inserts were sized, they are too small. This would cause the fingers to have more friction on them for sure.

With your inserts, do you have the lifts on them? Maybe this is part of the friction you are feeling. The lifts also change the pitch of the fingers which would need to be adjusted to account for them if so.

You certainly should have pain in your fingers or thumb with a proper fit. Ball should fell like it is an extension of your hand and be without pain.
    I can't say certain, sadly, due to me not being completely familiar if it is, or if they are simply oval inserts. I do recall that I was a little surprised that the Manager of the pro shop that I had everything done at with my Rhino last year, specifically insisted on inserts with the finger tip grip, given I hadn't had previous experience with either, but since I basically submitted myself to his supposed expertise on the matter, and wanting to learn the correct way, he figured it was the way to go, indeed.

I probably will just have to end up bringing the ball in to a different place for a second opinion, and possibly new inserts be put in if anything, but that's ok, as long as I get to a point where my fingers don't feel as if they are being chewed up after a couple hours of bowling, it'll be worth it to say the least.