Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I Feel Bad?

Chats: 204

Unhappy Should I Feel Bad?

And before you look for the poll to vote on or just answer with a snarky "Yes, absolutely you should."...

...the question is related to scratch bowling.

See, I swore I wouldn't bowl in a scratch league again until I got to a certain level...which I haven't achieved yet...that being a sanctioned average of at least 202 in one league.

But, it turns out summer bowling isn't as popular in Iowa as it is in California...most bowlers take the summer off to golf or farm or ride bicycles or do whatever. So, sanctioned leagues are few and far between (as illustrated below):

First center I called: No sanctioned leagues over summer except some average establishing nonsense league.
    Second center I called: No sanctioned leagues over the summer.
    Third center I called: Two scratch trios leagues that are sanctioned and a Team USA experience (sport/challenge shot) league.
    Fourth center I called: One scratch trios league that is sanctioned
    Fifth center I called: No sanctioned leagues in the summer...a couple that 'might' vote to be sanctioned...but probably not.
    Sixth center I called: No sanctioned leagues in the summer.
    Seventh center I didn't bother calling because I could tell from their website they weren't gonna have a sanctioned league.

So, it appeared that my only options were one of three scratch trios leagues. Thus far, I've started off doing fairly well...but I also kinda lucked out in that this is the least talented of the 3 scratch leagues...only 5 teams...only 3-5 decent bowlers out of 15.

And THAT leads to my dilemma:
    Tonight...I am scheduled to face off against the bowler with the lowest average in the league. I'll be putting my inflated 193 average up against her 132 average. In a handicap league, I'd be in trouble. But tonight, I'd literally have to throw my worst series since I started bowling in 2013...to stand a chance of losing any of the 4 scratch points.

So, should I feel bad??
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Not really. I would feel a little bad if the person did not realize what they are getting into and then come to find out that they are in a league they didn't want to be in. While we all want to compete to a degree, there comes a point (similar to your situation) that we just want the opportunity to bowl. Where you should feel bad is in the instance that you openly feel sorry for them, basically belittling the bowler. Show up, do your thing, don't make a big deal about it and there shouldn't be a problem.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

No. She knows that she is doing. She knows she won't win a lot. She is probably there for the experience and just for the fun of bowling.

Chats: 256

Heck no! She may actually surprise you and win!! Don't expect to win or get complacent.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Don't feel bad! I've also seen a 130 avg pull out a 240 game before... it can happen (of course it can also go the other way). You never know... be on your game at all times.

Never assume. Several weeks ago, in league, we bowled against a team where, one member who was in her 60's, with a 140 average, lit us up with a 215 game. An average is no guarantee that this person will only hit a 132.

Chats: 0

No, not at all.

I am on a scratch sport league for the purpose of challenging myself. I don't have the average of the other players. I learn from the experience (or try to) and my average is recovering (after 12 year break), but I don't expect to win anything except knowledge/experience.

Did you ask her about it? Maybe she is looking for a bowler for dating purposes... (Ive seen that before)

Brad
    Recently retired and returning to bowing after a 12 year break
    Slower ball speed with dominate revs, prefer strait at the pocket but deep is fine too
    In my bag... Storm Phase 3, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Storm IQ Tour Emerald, 900 Global White Hot Badger, Motiv Venom Recoil, and Motiv Supra Enzo

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Heck no! She may actually surprise you and win!! Don't expect to win or get complacent.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    Don't feel bad! I've also seen a 130 avg pull out a 240 game before... it can happen (of course it can also go the other way). You never know... be on your game at all times.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    Never assume. Several weeks ago, in league, we bowled against a team where, one member who was in her 60's, with a 140 average, lit us up with a 215 game. An average is no guarantee that this person will only hit a 132.
    Well, you guys 'almost' got your wish. Game 1 I had 5 splits!!! I believe that is a personal record for me to have > 4 splits in one game.

But no...she bowled around 365. I didn't double her...or WOW would I be celebrating...but even my two lowest games could have beaten 365.

Where I DID feel bad...is when we were abut to start...her teammates hadn't arrived and she was concerned that they might have quit the league...so she was contemplating dropping out...but more so because she didn't want to bowl alone. So I felt bad about that. But, her teammates showed up and a good time was had by all. If it were me...because of how I'm wired...I'd have been disappointed not to take a point...even against a much higher average bowler just because I'm competitive like that...but they seemed resolved to the fact that they weren't gonna win and seemed to be just bowling for something to do and to stay in practice between fall leagues.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

And for that, I say good for them.

I can see where you might be tempted to feel bad, but I agree with the other comments saying you shouldn't feel bad.

Those bowlers might be caught in the same dilemma as you were, wanting to bowl but not finding a suitable handicap league to join.

I can also see your point about where your average should be before joining a scratch league, but remember part of that is because you want to compete

with the other players and have an actual chance at winning some matches.

Most of the scratch leagues around my area have an overall average in the low 200's for the league and so naturally we look at being in that range to be competitive
    but in some area's it appears like you are in now, people just jump in and bowl for the fun of it.

The summer league I bowl in has a league average of 182 for last year and is far less competitive than the fall leagues that have averages of 191 and 198, all in all, it's about having fun with it anyway as none of the guys in any of my leagues are earning a living bowling.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast