Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ball For Light Oil?

Smoother balls would be the "matte" finish type of balls, correct? If I am gathering the information correctly, that should be right. lol.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
    Smoother balls would be the "matte" finish type of balls, correct? If I am gathering the information correctly, that should be right. lol.
    For the most part yes.

At the simplest and depending on who you talk too.

Polished balls would be the "smoothest", they would have a very fine surface texture ( A polished, glossy look) and maybe a polish/compound applied.

Dull/Sanded balls would have a coarser texture, more pronounced (visible) sanding lines on the surface.

A matte surface would be basically between the two others. It wouldn't be as coarse looking as the dull/sanded ball but not as shiny as the the polished one. You could see some fine sanding lines, but not as pronounced as the dull and it wouldn't be as "shiny" looking as the polished ball.

A lot depends on the grits used in sanding and the polishes applied. You could have a ball sanded with a coarse grit and then have a polish/compound applied over it, that would give you a matte type surface also.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Swag Holic is a great light oil ball!!

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    For the most part yes.

At the simplest and depending on who you talk too.

Polished balls would be the "smoothest", they would have a very fine surface texture ( A polished, glossy look) and maybe a polish/compound applied.

Dull/Sanded balls would have a coarser texture, more pronounced (visible) sanding lines on the surface.

A matte surface would be basically between the two others. It wouldn't be as coarse looking as the dull/sanded ball but not as shiny as the the polished one. You could see some fine sanding lines, but not as pronounced as the dull and it wouldn't be as "shiny" looking as the polished ball.

A lot depends on the grits used in sanding and the polishes applied. You could have a ball sanded with a coarse grit and then have a polish/compound applied over it, that would give you a matte type surface also.
    Interesting I appreciate all the information you guys have provided! What's funny is the entire time I've been doing this discussion, I don't think I've bowled once. I had a wedding for last week's league and we're off due to holiday this week. LOL. So I don't even know how I bowl anymore

I guess I just have one more question - to describe the urethane reaction that I mentioned, would it be more length and a later backend? I guess when looking for a finish option, I get "more length and later backend", "strong roll and strong backend", and "earlier roll/even arc". I am thinking it would be the first one to describe the type of ball reaction the BTU would be. It does seem to start to roll early but I get quite a bit of length with it before it breaks toward the pocket.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

When urethane is discussed it is usually in an earlier motion/arcing type reaction. Most of the time urethane is used with a lot of surface as a way to "keep the ball in front of you/in play" and to control the backend - rather than create a lot of motion on the backends.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
    I guess I just have one more question - to describe the urethane reaction that I mentioned, would it be more length and a later backend? I guess when looking for a finish option, I get "more length and later backend", "strong roll and strong backend", and "earlier roll/even arc". I am thinking it would be the first one to describe the type of ball reaction the BTU would be. It does seem to start to roll early but I get quite a bit of length with it before it breaks toward the pocket.
    Typical urethane is going to roll very early. There’s a lot of misunderstanding about when urethane should be used in my opinion. I hear it all the time when people say they want a dry lane ball, urethane is almost always mentioned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12