Thread: League with odd number of teams?

Chats: 0

Default League with odd number of teams?

So my Monday league recently dropped a team (I don't know why) and there are now 21 teams on the league. My team was the first team to bowl unopposed because of this. How the house/league did this was unusual (to me) but maybe this is the new norm...

The team captain of the unopposed team picks a team number from a hat and your team is bowling against that team. Not a true head to head, but you can check your progress as the night proceeds. The team you are bowling against still has their win/losses calculated in the normal way.

In the past I have see where they used a simple rule that you had to beat your team average minus 10 pins per player to win/loose. It's almost too easy though.

What have you seen used?

Brad
    Recently retired and returning to bowing after a 12 year break
    Slower ball speed with dominate revs, prefer strait at the pocket but deep is fine too
    In my bag... Storm Phase 3, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Storm IQ Tour Emerald, 900 Global White Hot Badger, Motiv Venom Recoil, and Motiv Supra Enzo

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by six6guy View Post
    So my Monday league recently dropped a team (I don't know why) and there are now 21 teams on the league. My team was the first team to bowl unopposed because of this. How the house/league did this was unusual (to me) but maybe this is the new norm...

The team captain of the unopposed team picks a team number from a hat and your team is bowling against that team. Not a true head to head, but you can check your progress as the night proceeds. The team you are bowling against still has their win/losses calculated in the normal way.

In the past I have see where they used a simple rule that you had to beat your team average minus 10 pins per player to win/loose. It's almost too easy though.

What have you seen used?

Brad
    It's called the "Draw" system, I haven't personally seen it used but it is a option listed in the USBC rules.

Rule 104 – Teams:
    104d. Uneven Number
    When a league has an uneven number of teams, the team scheduled against the nonexistent team can-
    not be credited with the points by forfeit. The Earn the Points system is used unless the league board
    of directors, by majority vote, decides to use the Bye or Draw System. The following procedures apply
    for each system.

2. Draw System:

a. Teams bowling the vacant team will draw a team or be scheduled against another team from the
    league to earn points.
    b. Points not won by the team for failing to bowl the prescribed score, should be recorded on the
    standing sheet as “unearned” points.
    c. The scores bowled will be used as if bowling in direct competition with the drawn/scheduled
    team.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

In a a summer league I was in, they used a blind team and, like you mentioned, we had to be within 10 points of our averages. So, it was somewhat similar to the method used by your league.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    In a a summer league I was in, they used a blind team and, like you mentioned, we had to be within 10 points of our averages. So, it was somewhat similar to the method used by your league.
    Same here. We have 39 teams in our summer league. We haven't had our 'bye' yet but last season there were a few times near the end that teams quit showing up and we had the same rules. Had to be within 10 of your average to get the points.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!