Thread: Will these three balls have the same rev rate?

Chats: 0

Default Will these three balls have the same rev rate?

If you have an asymmetric, a symmetric and a plastic ball with a pancake block will the rev rate be the same if thrown the same way with the same layout? They are all the same weight also. It seems like the plastic ball would lose some rev rate because of the small pancake weight in it. The asymmetric is a reactive, the symmetric is a urethane and the plastic is what it is. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Just wondering.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Rev rate is a result of the bowler's release. The actual ball being used has very little to nothing to do with it.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    If you have an asymmetric, a symmetric and a plastic ball with a pancake block will the rev rate be the same if thrown the same way with the same layout? They are all the same weight also. It seems like the plastic ball would lose some rev rate because of the small pancake weight in it. The asymmetric is a reactive, the symmetric is a urethane and the plastic is what it is. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Just wondering.
    As Rob said the core does not affect the rev rate. It does affect how fast the ball revs up and how much track flare there will be. My guess is that your White Dot has a very high RG and almost 0 differential, so it revs up the slowest with no track flare.
    John

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    As Rob said the core does not affect the rev rate. It does affect how fast the ball revs up and how much track flare there will be. My guess is that your White Dot has a very high RG and almost 0 differential, so it revs up the slowest with no track flare.
    That's exactly what I was thinking about the plastic ball, a slower rev because of the small weight. To me I would think the asymmetric would rev up quicker. The asymmetric would be like an ice skater when they start to spin with their arms out and then bring them in close to their body to spin a lot faster. The symmetric ball would be like the skater spinning with their arms straight out, spinning but not as fast as arms in and close to the body.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking about the plastic ball, a slower rev because of the small weight. To me I would think the asymmetric would rev up quicker. The asymmetric would be like an ice skater when they start to spin with their arms out and then bring them in close to their body to spin a lot faster. The symmetric ball would be like the skater spinning with their arms straight out, spinning but not as fast as arms in and close to the body.
    All three balls will spool up to the same number of revolutions per minute eventually assuming your release is consistent. Being symmetric or asymmetric does not necessarily make the ball rev up faster or slower. You would have to check the RG of each ball to see which will rev up the fastest.
    John