Thread: Expectations Then and Now

Chats: 204

Question Expectations Then and Now

This came up in my scores thread, so I thought I'd ask it here:

When you first started bowling (some of you will REALLY have to reach back into the archives)...what was that series/game that made you really happy about your performance?

Conversely, what series/game do you have to have NOW to feel satisfied/happy?

For me, I remember getting 3 180 games...like 182-186-180 or something like that. And a 180 game or higher...I was happy...even if the other couple games were in the 150s.

NOW...every game < 200 is disappointing....and I probably don't get "excited" about a 'game' unless it's 230 or higher.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    This came up in my scores thread, so I thought I'd ask it here:

When you first started bowling (some of you will REALLY have to reach back into the archives)...what was that series/game that made you really happy about your performance?

Conversely, what series/game do you have to have NOW to feel satisfied/happy?

For me, I remember getting 3 180 games...like 182-186-180 or something like that. And a 180 game or higher...I was happy...even if the other couple games were in the 150s.

NOW...every game < 200 is disappointing....and I probably don't get "excited" about a 'game' unless it's 230 or higher.
    Getting in Mr. Peabody’s wayback machine I have gone back to 1975 to watch my 16 year old self struggle to average 112. If only I could tell myself how to shoot a ten pin cross lane without causing a catastrophe in the space-time continuum. Yeah, back then I was happy to get any sort of mark and a 450 series was great.

Back in the present, my satisfaction/happiness is more conditional than hitting a number for a game or series. Take Monday, I was subbing for my friend Mark in a sport league. First game was horrible, 4 splits several missed one pin leaves, and a final score of 111. Next game I switched to a different ball, still struggled with some misses early, but struck out at the end for a 170 that lost by one pin. Next set
    I move one pair over and get to bowl a much younger two-hander. This pair seems to be playing very close to the way the last pair was. I started off clean for the first 7 or 8 frame with three or four strikes in a row before leaving a big split. My opponent started off gutter, spare, gutter, 8 out, and never got anything going. I wound up with a 212 and an almost three digit margin of victory. The last game, probably because I was getting tired, was much closer, and to me more satisfying because I had to make good shots to shut him out at the end.

In short, for me, it’s more about bowling clean games and being in close matches that makes it fun.
    John

I remember how badly I wanted a 700 series. This was in the late 90's. I would get close and choke (I had several series in the 690's). When I finally shot 700, I had knocked down so many pins that, by the time I noticed, it was too late to choke. My first 700 series was a 749! Today, with all of my health issues and my 10 mph ball speed, I am very happy with any 600 series. Two days ago I shot 642 with a clean 30... I'm still on a high about that!

Chats: 32

I think for me it's moved past "score". I've learned to realize that I'm perfectly capable of throwing poorly and put up a 240, I've bowled pretty well and put up 150's part of it is luck part of it is having the proper equipment and part of it's knowing when to do what. If my physical game feels good, I feel like I'm making quality shots I'm happy and if that ends up at 175 or 240 I'm ok with that.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Anything 170+ I was pretty happy with, now 200+ or making all my single pin spares.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Well I started league bowling when I was about 10 (about 1979) so back then I think 100 was my goal. In my high school years a 200 was my goal. Move on to my adult life and a 200 was good but my goal was closer to about a 220. My average was in the 190's. This was in the 1990's. Today I'm thrilled if I bowl a 200. I left for 16 years and just came back last year and although I'm improving, I'm still about 15 pins below my average.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 55

In the younger days it was all about competition, not necessarily scores...just had to win, had to beat a certain person, etc.

Fast forward to about 10 years ago after a 10-15 year break, just wanted to bowl for fun - average of a 140 was the expectation, as I didn't want to get "involved". Didn't want to practice, no coaching, no learning new things, just bowl in league once a week.

Ooops....the bowling bug took over. Started with coaching, reading, practice some, bowl multiple leagues. Not as competitive as my younger self, but expected to carry a decent 180 average.

Then elbow surgery....bowled left handed for a year. Just wanted to break 100 each game; rarely did.

Started back bowling after surgery - delivery different, lower ball speed. Unfortunately, still struggling to find the timing and picking up spares.

Base most of my expectations on doing things right, making right moves, ball choices, and staying focused. Hate bowling the 160s and certainly EXPECT better of myself each game, but not going to beat myself up over it.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150