Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Folks, New Bowler Here!

Cool Hi Folks, New Bowler Here!

Hello everybody,

Y'all can call me Daisy. I'm fairly new to bowling, and I'm still learning to improve my game, so I thought that this forum would be as good a place as any to glean tips and info that might assist me in my Great Bowling Journey.

Please keep in mind that I am not yet very familiar with the colorful vocabulary of "real" bowlers, so if somebody says something about mixers or dead buzzards and I respond with a redneck-sounding "HUH?! I dunno what you mean...", I implore you not to laugh at me. Or at least not loud enough that I can hear it. ;-)

About me: I'm a 22 year old gal. I'm a straight bowler mainly, but I'm working on my backhand hook, which for some strange reason comes more naturally to me than a normal hook. I bowl with an 11 pound ball, which might very well be one of the least used weights, but it seems to work for me. My scores are not good at this point in time, but they are improving gradually (which is much better than getting worse). My current high is a measly 142, but I know with time and practice that will change. After all, I haven't even been bowling for a year. Where have I been all bowling's life?

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Daisy

Chats: 204

Welcome. I think you're the 2nd girl since 2014...so I like that we're adding diversity!

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Welcome. I think you're the 2nd girl since 2014...so I like that we're adding diversity!
    Haha, well thank you!

I wonder why gals as a general rule just aren't as good at bowling as the guys are? (It's not mean or sexist when it comes from a girl. ) And many of them don't seem as motivated as the guys to up their game. I'm not very good right now, but at least I'm motivated to get better.

Chats: 55

Welcome Daisy!

Nice to have a gal join in. Don't let the roughness of these guys scare you off, just jump in like you're one of them - cuz in bowling, we are all equal.

Girls/Women/Gals/Ladies - whichever anyone prefers are as good at bowling than the guys are. Usually, there are fewer of us as we have families and homes to take care of that we don't participate in the sport as much.

My teammate on my Friday league is averaging over 200 and is second in the league for high average. I use to be able to compete better with her, but due to a recent elbow issue/surgery can't seem to be there often enough. Need to work harder.

Welcome!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Chats: 0

I would never say that women are not as good as men even in general at bowling. Fewer women just tend to pursue it as a competitive sport. There are plenty of women that could whoop the heck out of men. One day watch the pro women on TV, they will blow you away. Where I work, the women tend to dominate more on the leagues than the men for the simple fact that the men get too obliterated at the bar to be able to throw the ball right anyway. The designated driver tends to lead the pack. I see more 180+ women on our mixed leagues than men, no joke.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Chats: 204

Not to turn this into a sexist debate...but:

1) Men MUST have an advantage (of some kind) in the sport of bowling...or there wouldn't be separate leagues for men and women. I'm not an expert...but the logic is that in most activities that factor in strength...men are going to have an advantage due to inherent physiological differences between males and females in the human species. It's not sexism...well, maybe it is...but IF it is...it's really a beef to take up with God...or whomever you pray to...given He/She/It was responsible for the design phase of this experiment.

2) That being SAID...some sports require less strength and put an added value on other aspects...some of which females have an advantage. Bowling, especially at the non-pro level...puts more of an emphasis on accuracy, consistency, and a relaxed shot...all of which females are equal or better at than the average man.

Could the female Team USA beat the male Team USA most of the time? No.
    Could the female Team win once out of 10 times? Absolutely.
    Could a female team of amateurs outscore a male team of amateurs? Absolutely.

In my summer league, there is an all female team that is in second place and has a chance of finishing in first place. Their team average is a 192.33. They have the bowler with the highest average in the league at 206 and the bowlers with the 5th and 7th highest averages (of bowlers with 9 or more games) out of 17 bowlers. These ladies are probably 3x your age...in their 60s...and can't do nearly the things a younger female player can do (physically).

But, they do the right things to win at bowling. They get coaching...from the highest quality coach in the area. They practice...a lot! I know they practice every Sunday morning and I just saw them at a different center practicing THIS morning. They rely on consistent shot making and good accuracy. And, because they are willing to seek out coaching...they learn the things you can't get from just practicing. They learn about ball technology and lane play strategies.

And, they're WILLING to learn. Most higher average bowlers think they're experts...so they don't need to know anything. They shot a handful of 300 games...won a tournament or two...they average 200+ on a THS (typical house shot)...so they don't need to know anything else. And thats their achilles heel.

One of the greatest coaches in the World once told me that, for the most part, the bowlers that seek coaching average between like 135 and 170. Bowlers that average < 135 don't know they can get better with coaching. Bowlers averaging > 170 think they know all there is to know.

The good thing about bowling is that you can sort of 'decide' how good you're going to be. Barring injury, you can decide whether you want to be a league player, just havin fun and averaging 99-135. You can decide you want to be better...but not great...average about 136-169. Or, you can decide you want to be a high level bowler and average 170 or higher. Most sports, you don't get to 'decide'...it's decided for you based on your height and athletic ability. You can weigh 78-325 pounds and be any height...with any amount of (or lack there of) athletic ability...and you can be a great bowler. You just need to decide how good you want to be and commit to taking the steps to getting there.

It 'helps' if you're athletic...have above average eyesight...have good balance...are flexible...have no lingering back/arm/elbow/wrist/knee injuries...and have an ample bank account. It also 'helps' if you live in New York state or California or Nevada or Detroit or Chicago, or St. Louis, or Texas...areas where the better professionals are situated (for coaching purposes). But...those aren't necessities as much as they are in other sports.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

<Face palm> Ehhh....<POKE... whispering to Aslan....> I was trying to elicit self confidence in the young lady. There is a time and place for the cold hard facts.....this wasn't one of them. LMAO I'm guessing motivational speeches aren't one of your prerequisites? All good man, just giving you a hard time. =)
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Welcome Daisy!

Nice to have a gal join in. Don't let the roughness of these guys scare you off, just jump in like you're one of them - cuz in bowling, we are all equal.

Girls/Women/Gals/Ladies - whichever anyone prefers are as good at bowling than the guys are. Usually, there are fewer of us as we have families and homes to take care of that we don't participate in the sport as much.

My teammate on my Friday league is averaging over 200 and is second in the league for high average. I use to be able to compete better with her, but due to a recent elbow issue/surgery can't seem to be there often enough. Need to work harder.

Welcome!
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm sorry about your elbow. I'll pray it fully heals soon.

NOTE TO ALL:

Okay, obviously I started something that I didn't mean to, haha. I'm sorry about that. I will reply to each of you as I find the time. For now, I just want to thank you all for welcoming me and sharing your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I would never say that women are not as good as men even in general at bowling. Fewer women just tend to pursue it as a competitive sport. There are plenty of women that could whoop the heck out of men. One day watch the pro women on TV, they will blow you away. Where I work, the women tend to dominate more on the leagues than the men for the simple fact that the men get too obliterated at the bar to be able to throw the ball right anyway. The designated driver tends to lead the pack. I see more 180+ women on our mixed leagues than men, no joke.
    Thanks for saying hello, and the, um, uplifting motivational words.

I know that there are great female bowlers out there, I won't argue with that. It's not very common, but it's awesome when it does happen.

High Roller

I think women can be as good as men at bowling, just most don't choose to for whatever reason. My summer league is mixed and there are a few very good female bowlers. Our summer league is very competitive as it is a higher money league. There are currently 84 bowlers in our league with at least 12 games (the minimum to carry a league average). My average is currently 185.43 58 of the 84 have higher averages than mine. Of those 58 5 of them are female. The top one having a 205 average. The highest average in our league is 229 and there are 8 over 220.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast