Thread: Help Finding Info on Old Bowling Balls

Question Help Finding Info on Old Bowling Balls

I thought that it might be useful to start a thread for people like myself, to ask around and try to get more information about some of their vintage or discontinued bowling balls.

I have two of such balls, an Ebonite Galexie 300 purple swirl, and a Brunswick Mixer II in orange and black. How do these balls handle? How old are they? What kinds of cores do they have? I haven't used mine yet (I need to have them redrilled), so any information about them would be appreciated.

If anybody else is having trouble finding information on their old bowling balls, then feel free to post about it here, and maybe somebody can help.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    I thought that it might be useful to start a thread for people like myself, to ask around and try to get more information about some of their vintage or discontinued bowling balls.

I have two of such balls, an Ebonite Galexie 300 purple swirl, and a Brunswick Mixer II in orange and black. How do these balls handle? How old are they? What kinds of cores do they have? I haven't used mine yet (I need to have them redrilled), so any information about them would be appreciated.

If anybody else is having trouble finding information on their old bowling balls, then feel free to post about it here, and maybe somebody can help.
    I’m surprised that no one has replied to your post. There is usually at least one person who will say “yes they had one of those and it was... “ Unfortunately, I have no experience with either ball mentioned.
    Some manufacturers leave the specs for discontinued balls on their websites.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I’m surprised that no one has replied to your post. There is usually at least one person who will say “yes they had one of those and it was... “ Unfortunately, I have no experience with either ball mentioned.
    Some manufacturers leave the specs for discontinued balls on their websites.
    Thank you for your reply.

I looked them up online, and I found a couple places selling them secondhand, but not much real info on them. Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places, though. I should try again when I have the time. I was hoping somebody here could help me out.

Chats: 204

I use almost exclusively older/discontinued bowling balls.

For stuff in the last 5-10 years, bowlingball.com keeps some pretty good specs on them and you'll probably find a ball video here or there.

For much older stuff, ball manufacturers websites usually keep some basic info on them...but sometimes it's not much.

ballreviews.com is somewhere I've went to to get basic info on some older stuff...and they'll info that goes back quite awhile.

But, when you get back before the internet age...or back in the 80s...there's not going to be much.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

There is no one thread dedicated to old or new bowling ball info, But there is a website 123bowl.com that has information on old and new balls.

http://123bowl.com/bowling-balls/

On it they have the Ebonite Galaxie 300 Red/Silver Bowling Ball, which most likely is the same just a different color. It's just a old plastic ball
    http://123bowl.com/bowling-balls/ebo...-bowling-ball/

The Brunswick Mixer II is just a old rubber ball.
    http://123bowl.com/bowling-balls/bru...-bowling-ball/

At best they would just be spare balls.

IMO they woulkdn't be worth plugging, use the money to buy a new ball.

Note: There is a old website called bowlingballvault.com that also had info on balls but it can only be seen via the internet archive wayback machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-19-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 204

Yup...bowl1820's on the money. 123bowl and bowlingballvault...I've used both of them in the past. Sometimes bowlingballexchange will have some folks that know as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    There is no one thread dedicated to old or new bowling ball info, But there is a website 123bowl.com that has information on old and new balls.

http://123bowl.com/bowling-balls/

On it they have the Ebonite Galaxie 300 Red/Silver Bowling Ball, which most likely is the same just a different color. It's just a old plastic ball
    http://123bowl.com/bowling-balls/ebo...-bowling-ball/

The Brunswick Mixer II is just a old rubber ball.
    http://123bowl.com/bowling-balls/bru...-bowling-ball/

At best they would just be spare balls.

IMO they woulkdn't be worth plugging, use the money to buy a new ball.

Note: There is a old website called bowlingballvault.com that also had info on balls but it can only be seen via the internet archive wayback machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate the info you shared here. I wonder why the Brunswick ball sells online (used) for $150 if it's nothing special? Maybe just as a collectable.

Thank you also to Aslan for the links. I had already tried most of those places, but I appreciate the thought.

Two days ago I signed in here to get a feel for what I need to do. I’ve checked this particular thread the most just cause it’s exactly what I’m looking for. So I went to the links to those websites of retired bowling balls and didn’t come up with the ball I have. Well sort of it is listed but the exact ball.

Anyways I’ve been looking around everywhere and can’t seem to find anything but maybe its just not popping up for me. The ball is a Gold Rhino Pro the same one from 1994 that was made and was and somewhat popular today. I know there was a variation of the ball as well like LE or something. Not sure what that looks like. But I got this ball a while back like 20+ years ago from when PBA made its annual stop in NE Ohio. The ball was given by Walter Ray to my boss at the time who then gave it to me. The difference between the two balls is mine is in all Red lettering and the rhino is all in red. So instead of the white it’s all red.

So is this the variation or something else. Unfortunately there’s no paper work and only WWR will be able to say that’s his Ball. I just want to know the story of it so I can write about it. I’m a sports writer and would love to know the facts. Thanks for any insight

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by ToppsValor View Post
    Two days ago I signed in here to get a feel for what I need to do. I’ve checked this particular thread the most just cause it’s exactly what I’m looking for. So I went to the links to those websites of retired bowling balls and didn’t come up with the ball I have. Well sort of it is listed but the exact ball.

Anyways I’ve been looking around everywhere and can’t seem to find anything but maybe its just not popping up for me. The ball is a Gold Rhino Pro the same one from 1994 that was made and was and somewhat popular today. I know there was a variation of the ball as well like LE or something. Not sure what that looks like. But I got this ball a while back like 20+ years ago from when PBA made its annual stop in NE Ohio. The ball was given by Walter Ray to my boss at the time who then gave it to me. The difference between the two balls is mine is in all Red lettering and the rhino is all in red. So instead of the white it’s all red.

So is this the variation or something else. Unfortunately there’s no paper work and only WWR will be able to say that’s his Ball. I just want to know the story of it so I can write about it. I’m a sports writer and would love to know the facts. Thanks for any insight
    Your best bet to get info on it would be to contact Brunswick send them a photo of the ball, the Logos,serial number etc.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker