Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on the new job search....

Chats: 0

So I'm heading down there next Thursday 8/1 and it can't come soon enough. I'm getting home Wed night after close, getting a few hours of sleep and jumping in the car at about 4 am. for the 9 hour drive. Gonna meet up with the owner, fill out some paperwork, tour the facility and cruise around town to check things out. I'll be leaving to come back that night. I'll probably stop at a rest area and get a few winks in that retched car and probably be back Friday afternoon.

My mind is racing to the point I can hardly sleep or think about anything else. I end up thinking so much (especially in bed) to the point I have to get up and write down notes just so I can get the ideas out of my head so I can possibly sleep. I have two legal pads filled to the brim of stuff. So many ideas in fact that I'm literally overwhelming myself because of it. I guess it's better than being clueless? I think this guy is going to be quite happy with the things I have come up with. Personally I think he's out of ideas which is why he needs me to begin with. This is going to be a long week of anticipation to say the least.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    So I'm heading down there next Thursday 8/1 and it can't come soon enough. I'm getting home Wed night after close, getting a few hours of sleep and jumping in the car at about 4 am. for the 9 hour drive. Gonna meet up with the owner, fill out some paperwork, tour the facility and cruise around town to check things out. I'll be leaving to come back that night. I'll probably stop at a rest area and get a few winks in that retched car and probably be back Friday afternoon.

My mind is racing to the point I can hardly sleep or think about anything else. I end up thinking so much (especially in bed) to the point I have to get up and write down notes just so I can get the ideas out of my head so I can possibly sleep. I have two legal pads filled to the brim of stuff. So many ideas in fact that I'm literally overwhelming myself because of it. I guess it's better than being clueless? I think this guy is going to be quite happy with the things I have come up with. Personally I think he's out of ideas which is why he needs me to begin with. This is going to be a long week of anticipation to say the least.
    It's great that you think he'll be the type to take your ideas and feedback and run with it! I've always thought it would be amazing if more bowling alleys had car shows. How cool would that be? I went to my local bowling alley with that idea, and they rejected it with hardly a thought. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    It's great that you think he'll be the type to take your ideas and feedback and run with it! I've always thought it would be amazing if more bowling alleys had car shows. How cool would that be? I went to my local bowling alley with that idea, and they rejected it with hardly a thought. What do you think?
    Oh he's open to new ides, he already said that and he's going to give me a lot of latitude. Funny you mention the car show thing. That was already in my legal pad. LMAO. He's gotta huge parking lot and a resource definitely that can be used that he's NOT using. Advertised properly it can get butts in the seats. The "Show & Bowl" =) I'm way ahead of you. I'm not sure how many of the gear heads I'll get in there but the spectators would likely come in. Having on a hot day with a great beer special, I'm sure I can get people to come in for a nice cold one at the very least.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Oh he's open to new ides, he already said that and he's going to give me a lot of latitude. Funny you mention the car show thing. That was already in my legal pad. LMAO. He's gotta huge parking lot and a resource definitely that can be used that he's NOT using. Advertised properly it can get butts in the seats. The "Show & Bowl" =) I'm way ahead of you. I'm not sure how many of the gear heads I'll get in there but the spectators would likely come in. Having on a hot day with a great beer special, I'm sure I can get people to come in for a nice cold one at the very least.
    More ideas from a car show nut:

Fridays would be a good day to have the show, because that way it is more likely that there isn't another car show going on the same day somewhere else. And you can offer discounts and/or goody bags to folks who bring pre-1980s cars, if you are worried about not enough cool cars showing up. You can raffle of gift cards, too. And you can have it go on until late at night, like they used to in the old days, before they ended at six o'clock like they do today.

I just have to do my research and find a car club and contact who's in charge to bring them in. Somehow I don't think down in TN there would be a shortage of classics, they aren't exactly in the rust belt like I am now in the midwest. Yeah, I'll find a way to make it both a car show and bowling event. I just have to put some thought into it. Right now everything is just "raw ideas", I haven't worked out the fine details just yet on most just yet. I'm not going to bother with that until I get the green light. Like I said, he's giving me a lot of latitude and will most likely get the green light with most things. I have enough to make convincing arguments and raise an eyebrow though.

The car show idea is a good one not only because he's got a huge parking lot but it's also on a main street in town. It WILL attract attention to the center. That alone should be enough to get the go ahead. Getting people there to recognize the center is half the battle. Now, once there I just have to get them in the door. He's got DJ equipment so, if I can DJ the even then leave it to me. I'll get them in there! LOL I have DJ experience, although from the days of vinyl, experience is experience and I am by no means mic shy by any stretch.
    Bowling Center Manager

I just have to do my research and find a car club and contact who's in charge to bring them in. Somehow I don't think down in TN there would be a shortage of classics, they aren't exactly in the rust belt like I am now in the midwest. Yeah, I'll find a way to make it both a car show and bowling event. I just have to put some thought into it. Right now everything is just "raw ideas", I haven't worked out the fine details just yet on most just yet. I'm not going to bother with that until I get the green light. Like I said, he's giving me a lot of latitude and will most likely get the green light with most things. I have enough to make convincing arguments and raise an eyebrow though.

The car show idea is a good one not only because he's got a huge parking lot but it's also on a main street in town. It WILL attract attention to the center. That alone should be enough to get the go ahead. Getting people there to recognize the center is half the battle. Now, once there I just have to get them in the door. He's got DJ equipment so, if I can DJ the even then leave it to me. I'll get them in there! LOL I have DJ experience, although from the days of vinyl, experience is experience and I am by no means mic shy by any stretch.
    I'm glad you like the car show idea.

Music can make any event a hit, especially pre-1980s rock 'n' roll. It adds a nice, classic, fun feel. Also, I noticed that people tend to bowl more and faster with good music playing, and they tend to have more fun doing it. I think music would be a great touch... Not even just for car shows, but any kind of event.

Agreed. It's been my observation that they don't necessarily bowl faster but do bowl longer. If I want people to stay, as much as I despite loud music while bowling and cosmic, I'll do both. They are more relaxed, and tend to drink more, hence I make better tips. On nights where I've had enough with the place and would rather be at home I'll be sure to have regular lights on and low volume boring music or none at all. Lol

Some nights I just can't stomach the cosmic lights though. They aren't really disco like or anything, merely some black lights and rope lights on the gutters. I just get tired of staring out looking at it. However, when I'm in the party mood....look out! People ARE going to have a good time guaranteed. I don't get in the "blah" mood very often though and I like money so those days are few and far between.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 07-25-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Agreed. It's been my observation that they don't necessarily bowl faster but do bowl longer. If I want people to stay, as much as I despite loud music while bowling and cosmic, I'll do both. They are more relaxed, and tend to drink more, hence I make better tips. On nights where I've had enough with the place and would rather be at home I'll be sure to have regular lights on and low volume boring music or none at all. Lol

Some nights I just can't stomach the cosmic lights though. They aren't really disco like or anything, merely some black lights and rope lights on the gutters. I just get tired of staring out looking at it. However, when I'm in the party mood....look out! People ARE going to have a good time guaranteed. I don't get in the "blah" mood very often though and I like money so those days are few and far between.
    I personally love the blacklights. Maybe an improved lighting system can be one of the one hundred ideas that you run past him, haha.

When the blacklights are on at my local alley, there are actually glowing guidelines that appear on the lane, which I find very helpful.

I'm not sure what the cosmic lights are like at the new center since I haven't seen it in person yet. As long as they aren't equipped with strobes, those give me a headache. Not to mention I have a seizure disorder but fortunately am not photosensitive where that would trigger one. That doesn't mean customers wouldn't be so why take the chance of someone dropping on the lanes from them. That's not good for business.
    Bowling Center Manager

I'm not sure what the cosmic lights are like at the new center since I haven't seen it in person yet. As long as they aren't equipped with strobes, those give me a headache. Not to mention I have a seizure disorder but fortunately am not photosensitive where that would trigger one. That doesn't mean customers wouldn't be so why take the chance of someone dropping on the lanes from them. That's not good for business.
    Indeed, I would imagine not!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast