Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on the new job search....

Chats: 0

Default Update on the new job search....

I decided to start a new thread because the other one was a little lengthy. (not unusual for me of course)

So, I have in fact chosen a place. I've had multiple offers, some more motivated than others. The one I chose is of course the one for the most money of course but also the one where I can be the most diverse. I don't want to be a one trick pony. I want to go somewhere where I can take what I have learned not just from my current center but everything as a whole. To where it will benefit the owner as well as myself the most and I appeared to have found that.

It's a done deal, I just have to go down to get some administrative stuff done and then I'm coming back to give my notice where I'm at. It sounds like within 3 weeks or so I'll be able to get started, 4 at the most. I will be very busy to say the least and be doing something of everything. Doing things from fixing pinsetters, revamping the food and drink menus, changing the pricing structure, managing operations and even going out in the field to bring in new clientele and planning events. This guy really needs the help, he's gotta a lot tied up in the place and he's overwhelmed.

I'm very confident that I can be what he needs. I don't know everything and I can't solve every problem but I think he knows that. There will be a learning curve with his scoring and POS system and the way they do things. Some things are going to be trial and error and mistakes will be made. However, if he wants someone perfect God already has a job. He's wide open to new ideas and he's willing to invest money where it's needed even if some things may be risky. If you take no risk then you get no gains playing it safe. He's on board, also willing to give me a lot of latitude so I'm very excited.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Chats: 32

Congrats Phonetek
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Thank you. =) I'm eager to get started and glad I'm finally going to be able to provide my family with something more than a mediocre existence for a change.

You know...I wonder how many people and not just on here think that I am simply ridiculous and crazy? I mean if you think about it, how many people do you know especially my age group who would be absolutely elated like they've accomplished their life's goal by getting a job at a bowling alley? I must sound certifiable so I have to laugh at myself just a little.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 07-22-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Congrats! Sounds like you're going to have a lot of say in the overall direction of the center moving forward - exciting stuff.

LOL As you already know, I'm never someone who doesn't ever have a lot to say about anything. Yes, the outlook looks good. =)
    Bowling Center Manager

Cranker

Very cool. Good luck with the new job and move. I'm sure you'll do great.

High Roller

Sounds great. And you know what they say. If you do something you love you never work a day in your life. And this brings up a point mentioned at a charity event I was at yesterday. We have a boat we keep at a marina all summer. My mother and step-father have a boat at a marina up the river from us. The owners bought it off a husband and wife a few years ago. The new owners 16 year old daughter killed herself a few months ago so they created a charity and had a big event yesterday. The previous owner (who has tons of money) spent alot. They auctioned a guitar autographed by Alice Cooper and he spent $600 winning it then donated it to a local musical school. He also bought all of the food for the event. He also had about a 50' ship that had spent over 100 years under water. They refurbished it and used it yesterday. It was very nice. So he spoke yesterday and said people asked him why he spent so much. His reply was money is not life and life is not money. Some things are more important.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Nice! The job sounds like a dream come true for you. I hope that everything turns out to be as great as you make it sound!

Working at a bowling center has always sounded like a great job to me. I don't think it's crazy at all for you to be excited about this new opportunity. I would be, too.

I hope so too. It's one of those jobs that you'll either love it or hate it so I've come to realize. It will never make anyone rich doing it though. My friend told me that there is nothing wrong with being excited about something you are obviously passionate about. That just means your more likely to be successful at it. I never thought of it as being passionate but he said then I'm the only one that doesn't realize that because it's as plain as day to everyone else. LOL
    Last edited by Phonetek; 07-25-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    Bowling Center Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I hope so too. It's one of those jobs that you'll either love it or hate it so I've come to realize. It will never make anyone rich doing it though. My friend told me that there is nothing wrong with being excited about something you are obviously passionate about. That just means your more likely to be successful at it. I never thought of it as being passionate but he said then I'm the only one that doesn't realize that because it's as plain as day to everyone else. LOL
    I always am glad to see people who are passionate about something. There are too many people out there who don't have passion for anything. I pity those people.

I'm so glad that you are able to follow your passion at the new bowling alley!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast