Thread: The feel is different sometimes when I go practice

Default The feel is different sometimes when I go practice

Hey guys, so I just wondered if anyone had advice regarding this. I went out to practice today, and it was a pretty poor day. Everything felt off. My footwork felt bad, I kept coming up out of the shot, and the time I went to bowl before this I was working on keeping my hand cupped in the push away which greatly improved the release; which I seemed to struggle with today. I also grew frustrated, which probably caused my downfall the rest of the day. But the initial few shots I threw set up the rest of the day for me, they just felt completely off. The last time I went to bowl with my coach, I felt like I did much better in terms of execution, much more consistent and a better feel of my footwork and other mechanics.

My game often is a confusing mess. Do you guys have any advice?? I can clarify more if needed. Thanks!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by BowlerGuy1500 View Post
    Hey guys, so I just wondered if anyone had advice regarding this. I went out to practice today, and it was a pretty poor day. Everything felt off. My footwork felt bad, I kept coming up out of the shot, and the time I went to bowl before this I was working on keeping my hand cupped in the push away which greatly improved the release; which I seemed to struggle with today. I also grew frustrated, which probably caused my downfall the rest of the day. But the initial few shots I threw set up the rest of the day for me, they just felt completely off. The last time I went to bowl with my coach, I felt like I did much better in terms of execution, much more consistent and a better feel of my footwork and other mechanics.

My game often is a confusing mess. Do you guys have any advice?? I can clarify more if needed. Thanks!
    Glad to hear you work with a coach. I assume he or she has assessed your game and has given you at least some idea of what you need to work on. This should be where to start, what does your coach want you to work on? Have they given you drills to practice at home or on the lanes?

If for some reason your coach hasn’t given you a bunch of things to work on, or they have and it doesn’t seem to apply to today’s problems, I do have a few ideas. It sounds like you were getting to the line unbalanced. Most people will pop up out of the shot if they aren’t in balance. It could also be caused by timing but without seeing you bowl I would bet your last step is not coming under your body. I would try some one step drills. They help you learn to stay in balance and can also give you a feel for where the ball should be as you go into the last step to help your timing.

p.s. when you work with a coach it helps to take notes and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
    John

In a great majority of cases, days like the one you describe are caused by bad timing. Rather than work on any of the usual culprits, push-away, etc., just concentrate on posting your shots (holding your finish position at the line until the ball exits the pin deck). It is physically impossible to post a shot with bad timing, so doing this will fix your problems most days.

I appreciate the feedback guys, this is really good advice. I do take notes of things that me and my coach go over, so I can easily remember what I need to focus on the next time I practice. The next time I throw a practice shot and it just feels like everything is off again, I'll try to focus more on timing and posting the shot, letting the ball swing for as long as it needs to without interference, and see how that does to get things back on track.

Thanks everyone!!