Thread: Breakfast Bowling Discussion

Chats: 55

Default Breakfast Bowling Discussion

Fridays before bowling, a group of us meet for breakfast. Conversations are usually lively and almost always turn to some issue related to bowling. Discussion today was more of a debate that I thought I would toss out for opinions/feedback here.

USBC Rule 18 is a new rule for 2019-2020 and appears in the new rule book. On about page 3 it states new rules effective August 1, 2019 and has the rule regarding cleaning of bowling balls during competition. The actual rule book, to my understanding has no actual dates, only the 2019-2020 notation.

Our summer league ends August 23rd, and as such some of the group feels that since the league is a 2018-2019 league the rule doesn't apply. The others seem to think the rule would make our league adhere to the league since it is stated as August 1st. Some based their thoughts that certifications are valid through July, as any new league starting in August would be required to submit a new certification card, but if the league starts in June and finishes in August you don't have to certify in the middle so therefore, the rules can't change in the middle of a league season.

Thoughts...comments?
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    USBC Rule 18 is a new rule for 2019-2020 and appears in the new rule book. On about page 3 it states new rules effective August 1, 2019 and has the rule regarding cleaning of bowling balls during competition. The actual rule book, to my understanding has no actual dates, only the 2019-2020 notation.

The actual rulebook does have the date, it's on page 3 where the rule changes effective dates are shown. So the rule would start August 1,2019

The new USBC rulebook is here:
    http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....20Rulebook.pdf

The question then would be, would a league that's already started have to immediately implement the new rule?

IMO I believe it does, If you look at the Commonly Asked Questions for Rule 122 it say's:

"122/1 If a rule is adopted or changed after the league schedule starts, when does it become effective?
    When a league adopts new or changes existing rules, the rule revisions become effective immediately upon adoption and cannot be made retroactive."

That CAQ doesn't specifically state that this applies only to rule changes made by the league, So I would think this would also apply to rule changes made by the USBC Not just ones made by the league. (Unless it's otherwise stated by the USBC when a league should start using it.)
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-27-2019 at 12:13 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 204

Makes sense. The rule should start on the effective date of the rule.

Otherwise...a league could simply have an open-ended season that never ends and therefore never have to follow any new rules.

Chats: 32

As bowl1820 stated the rule is in the rule books as of August 1st 2019. If your league is Sanctioned you are required to implement this rule. Even if your start date was in July you could ignore this rule until then but on August 1st this rule takes effect it is not a league choice unless the league is willing to be unsanctioned but that seems like a poor reason. While I don't agree with it I do understand it. Maybe it will lead to some houses getting cleaned up if league officers are pestered often enough over cleaning.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Well I am gonna have to remember this...lol. A few times I have cleaned my ball between games but usually only if it has a mark which I understand it still permitted if you get approval from a league officer? Either way I will probably just stop doing it. I rarely ever wipe my ball between shots anyway so no issue there.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Well, I understand the August 1st implementation - I just wanted more ammo behind me when I get questioned at the next breakfast.

In fact, I already know what one of the breakfast discussions this week will be - a little birdie enlightened me....
    "Are the leather pads (Master, Genesis, etc) considered "an abrasive" or "a cleaning agent"?

Of course, I am of the opinion that the shammy pads are considered a "dry towel" unless you add a liquid cleaner to it, but I have some very stubborn senior bowlers to contend with. In fact, this one I have sent to USBC just so I have it in writing, as I cannot spend the entire breakfast and bowling session arguing over something so minuscule.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Well, I understand the August 1st implementation - I just wanted more ammo behind me when I get questioned at the next breakfast.

In fact, I already know what one of the breakfast discussions this week will be - a little birdie enlightened me....
    "Are the leather pads (Master, Genesis, etc) considered "an abrasive" or "a cleaning agent"?

Of course, I am of the opinion that the shammy pads are considered a "dry towel" unless you add a liquid cleaner to it, but I have some very stubborn senior bowlers to contend with. In fact, this one I have sent to USBC just so I have it in writing, as I cannot spend the entire breakfast and bowling session arguing over something so minuscule.
    The USBC already said about leather shammies in the faq for the new rules:

7 - What type of towels are approved for use during USBC certified competition?
    All dry towels are allowed, if it doesn’t alter the surface of the bowling ball. This includes the use of dry shammys.

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....018BTS-FAQ.pdf

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Well I am gonna have to remember this...lol. A few times I have cleaned my ball between games but usually only if it has a mark which I understand it still permitted if you get approval from a league officer? Either way I will probably just stop doing it. I rarely ever wipe my ball between shots anyway so no issue there.
    you are allowed to wipe the ball between shots with a dry towel or a ball shammie you just cant use a cleaner without league officer permission.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    The USBC already said about leather shammies in the faq for the new rules:

7 - What type of towels are approved for use during USBC certified competition?
    All dry towels are allowed, if it doesn’t alter the surface of the bowling ball. This includes the use of dry shammys.

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....018BTS-FAQ.pdf
    How the heck did I miss that? I declare, sometimes I think I really am losing my mind. Thanks Bowl! and All for your input.