Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To glow or not to glow...

Chats: 204

I had a teammate that used headphones during league play. It's rare, but you see it here and there.

I've never been a fan of "glow bowling" or "cosmic bowling"...because I'm an old curmudgeon who think the World would better if everyone under the age of 32 would just sit at home, watching Disney cartoons, and studying math and reading. As many of my peers would probably remind me...concerning my disdain for cosmic/glow bowling: "It's not FOR you."

Also, they always seem to switch to "cosmic bowling" right in the middle of my approach...which is quite jarring.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    I haven't glow bowled much, what I used to do more was called moonlight bowling which is where they turned out the lights above the lanes so it was dark.

I found it helps you concentrate on watching your mark on the lane better, also IMO it offered some similarities to the "Eyes Closed Drill" which helps enhance feel and trust in your swing,footwork etc. without the visual distractions.
    That is very interesting. I never heard of that before. I can see how moonlight bowling can help an already good bowler up their game, but I wonder if it has the same effect on somebody not very good at bowling yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I had a teammate that used headphones during league play. It's rare, but you see it here and there.

I've never been a fan of "glow bowling" or "cosmic bowling"...because I'm an old curmudgeon who think the World would better if everyone under the age of 32 would just sit at home, watching Disney cartoons, and studying math and reading. As many of my peers would probably remind me...concerning my disdain for cosmic/glow bowling: "It's not FOR you."

Also, they always seem to switch to "cosmic bowling" right in the middle of my approach...which is quite jarring.
    I saw people who wear headphones or like devices in league. It doesn't seem that rare where I bowl, but I'm sure everywhere is different.

If everybody under 32 did as you suggested, there would be no more bowling in 50 years, and the sport would die with you. That paints a bleak picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Glow bowling (Cosmic or Xtreme) depending on Brunswick or AMF to me anymore isn't a factor. I've seen it so much, done it so much that I seem to bowl exactly the same either way. Just one more thing I've learned to block out, ignore and adapt to. Using ear buds for music, I couldn't do. Might as well tie my legs together with rope. I would feel too movement restricted trying not to lose my ear buds if wireless or be worried about yanking out the wires. When I bowl, EVERYTHING comes out of my pockets too.....phone, change, wallet, smokes, keys or whatever and goes in a zipper bag in my bowling bag. (except for cash) I don't like getting poked by anything or having things rattle around or get squished or flying out of my pockets. I like free unrestricted movement when I bowl. If the center has music cranked to the max, it doesn't bother me in the least.

"Candle Light" bowl is what Bowl1820 was talking about, at least that's what they called it here. All the lights were out above the sette area as well as over the lanes, just the pinsetter lights were on. That's more difficult because you cannot see the arrows/dots hardly at all unless you're a cat. Not saying it can't be done but not easily. Those were usually 9 pin no taps to help people so everyone wasn't bowling double digits. Fun but "Glow" kinda took over these days. Candle Light is rare now pretty rare.
    It is nice that you bowl equally well both ways. That must have taken some getting used to.

I might not be as bad at candle light bowling as some. I have very good night vision. Too bad my local center doesn't do that, it would be worth a try.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I don't like the cosmic bowling environment. I do bowl pretty good when I do. Maybe because I target so close to the gutter that it is easier to judge in the dark? Not sure. Either way I don't like it. As far as music, we have 80's music playing on league night but you can barely hear it so it isn't blasting to the point of being distracting. I do like the low volume music.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    It is nice that you bowl equally well both ways. That must have taken some getting used to.

I might not be as bad at candle light bowling as some. I have very good night vision. Too bad my local center doesn't do that, it would be worth a try.
    It didn't take that long to get used to. I just have a high tolerance for BS and blocking out annoyances easily. Just ask my kids, I block them out all the time. LOL I call it a gift and one I'm thankful to have.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Chats: 204

I saw people who wear headphones or like devices in league. It doesn't seem that rare where I bowl, but I'm sure everywhere is different.
    Most leagues don'y bother with it. However, I have seen people get their cords caught on their arm or have an earbud fall out during their swing...which can cause stuff to get broken. Back in the day, these devices had batteries and dropping them would cause batteries and parts to fly out everywhere. Embarrassing for the bowler and annoying for everyone else. Nowadays, less batteries and moving parts...so it's more a concern that your $900 phone is broken because you wanted to listen to Lady Gaga while trying to do something athletic.

The MOST annoying thing about it, from your teammates perspective, is that it makes you hard to talk to. The guy who used to wear headphones on our team...he would sit down and we'd start talking to him...and he wouldn't hear us. Then he would realize we were talking to him and take his earbuds out.

If everybody under 32 did as you suggested, there would be no more bowling in 50 years, and the sport would die with you. That paints a bleak picture.
    The sport started dying 30 years ago...industrial and church leagues started disappearing...professional prize money dried up...then the advent of video gaming took the attention of the youth away from the sport...then the lane conditions and equipment got out of whack...and the final death blow was the emergence of 2-handed bowling. 50 years from now...whether the world caters to my curmudgeon views on 1-32 year olds or not (highly likely not)...bowling will be just another faded memory of the past. And that's assuming the world even lasts another 50 years.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Sounds like you bowled at fun places that tried to make things interesting. In Illinois it's boring, they probably only did the candle light to save money on their electric bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Most leagues don'y bother with it. However, I have seen people get their cords caught on their arm or have an earbud fall out during their swing...which can cause stuff to get broken. Back in the day, these devices had batteries and dropping them would cause batteries and parts to fly out everywhere. Embarrassing for the bowler and annoying for everyone else. Nowadays, less batteries and moving parts...so it's more a concern that your $900 phone is broken because you wanted to listen to Lady Gaga while trying to do something athletic.

The MOST annoying thing about it, from your teammates perspective, is that it makes you hard to talk to. The guy who used to wear headphones on our team...he would sit down and we'd start talking to him...and he wouldn't hear us. Then he would realize we were talking to him and take his earbuds out.

The sport started dying 30 years ago...industrial and church leagues started disappearing...professional prize money dried up...then the advent of video gaming took the attention of the youth away from the sport...then the lane conditions and equipment got out of whack...and the final death blow was the emergence of 2-handed bowling. 50 years from now...whether the world caters to my curmudgeon views on 1-32 year olds or not (highly likely not)...bowling will be just another faded memory of the past. And that's assuming the world even lasts another 50 years.
    I have experienced that, too, about not being able to talk to people with earbuds in at the bowling alley. It is annoying. If they are going to use those devices while bowling, that's fine with me, I'm glad it helps them. They should probably take them out or turn them off when they aren't bowling, though, as a courtesy to whoever they are bowling with.

Let's hope for bowling to have a brighter future than that. Perhaps young people like me (if they exist) can help revive the fading sport for a new generation.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I don't like the cosmic bowling environment. I do bowl pretty good when I do. Maybe because I target so close to the gutter that it is easier to judge in the dark? Not sure. Either way I don't like it. As far as music, we have 80's music playing on league night but you can barely hear it so it isn't blasting to the point of being distracting. I do like the low volume music.
    To each their own. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

For myself, I love the loud music they play at my bowling alley. It helps me tune out the screaming tots and the bowling ball dumpers that I always get stuck next to, haha.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast