Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To glow or not to glow...

Default To glow or not to glow...

I got my new high score today. A wimpy 143, beating my previous high of 142 by one pin. Both of those highs were set with a backdrop of rock and roll, cool lights, and blacklights. I have noticed that when I bowl in that environment, I do much better than otherwise.

So I would like to ask you guys your opinion on such a heavy topic. To glow, or not to glow?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    I got my new high score today. A wimpy 143, beating my previous high of 142 by one pin. Both of those highs were set with a backdrop of rock and roll, cool lights, and blacklights. I have noticed that when I bowl in that environment, I do much better than otherwise.

So I would like to ask you guys your opinion on such a heavy topic. To glow, or not to glow?
    Personally, I don’t like “glow bowling”. The older I get, the more light I need to see, and I don’t think any of the alleys around here have any glow in the dark targeting aids.

Many bowlers find that music has benefits for their bowling. Hearing a particular song may relax you, or it may bring your energy level up. The rhythm and tempo of a song may help with timing. You may find that using earbuds or headphones when the center doesn't have rock & roll playing in the background may help your scoring. Be aware that some tournaments have rules barring the use of such devices.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Personally, I don’t like “glow bowling”. The older I get, the more light I need to see, and I don’t think any of the alleys around here have any glow in the dark targeting aids.

Many bowlers find that music has benefits for their bowling. Hearing a particular song may relax you, or it may bring your energy level up. The rhythm and tempo of a song may help with timing. You may find that using earbuds or headphones when the center doesn't have rock & roll playing in the background may help your scoring. Be aware that some tournaments have rules barring the use of such devices.
    I know some other people who have problems seeing with the lights dimmed. Myself, I have always had good night vision. I eat a lot of carrots. Maybe that's why it doesn't bother me at all.

I did not know that certain tournaments ban devices playing music. Thank you for telling me. That seems wrong to me. I mean, after all, it is still the bowler doing the work, music or no music. It still depends on the skill of the bowler to knock down pins. It just gets him in a better frame of mind to do so.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I did not know that certain tournaments ban devices playing music. Thank you for telling me. That seems wrong to me. I mean, after all, it is still the bowler doing the work, music or no music. It still depends on the skill of the bowler to knock down pins. It just gets him in a better frame of mind to do so.
    It's not about if the music is helping the bowler, it's about the devices themselves.

They can be dropped/falloff while your bowling, which can cause problems for you and/or other bowlers. Like tripping, delay of game while it's being retrieved (especially if it falls on the lane past the foul line, you have to stop and get permission to retrieve it yourself if you don't it's a foul or get someone to get it for you) from your lane or someone else's.

If your playing it very loud (and there are people that play the music so loud you can here it coming from their earbuds) it could distract other bowlers.

Here's a example of the rule from the 2019 USBC OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS

Rule 9. ETIQUETTE
    A. DEVICES/HEADPHONES - The use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast is prohibited during competition.

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....lesForWeb3.pdf
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-27-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    It's not about if the music is helping the bowler, it's about the devices themselves.

They can be dropped/falloff while your bowling, which can cause problems for you and/or other bowlers. Like tripping, delay of game while it's being retrieved (especially if it falls on the lane past the foul line, you have to stop and get permission to retrieve it yourself if you don't it's a foul or get someone to get it for you) from your lane or someone else's.

If your playing it very loud (and there are people that play the music so loud you can here it coming from their earbuds) it could distract other bowlers.

Here's a example of the rule from the 2019 USBC OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS

Rule 9. ETIQUETTE
    A. DEVICES/HEADPHONES - The use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast is prohibited during competition.

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....lesForWeb3.pdf
    I never saw anybody have those kinds of problems with their devices before, but that is likely because I haven't been around the game long enough.

One of my past bowling partners used to wear Bluetooth earbuds attached to a device that wrapped around his neck like a horseshoe. That thing couldn't fall of if he tried. I think things like that should be allowed.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I haven't glow bowled much, what I used to do more was called moonlight bowling which is where they turned out the lights above the lanes so it was dark.

I found it helps you concentrate on watching your mark on the lane better, also IMO it offered some similarities to the "Eyes Closed Drill" which helps enhance feel and trust in your swing,footwork etc. without the visual distractions.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I never saw anybody have those kinds of problems with their devices before, but that is likely because I haven't been around the game long enough.

One of my past bowling partners used to wear Bluetooth earbuds attached to a device that wrapped around his neck like a horseshoe. That thing couldn't fall of if he tried. I think things like that should be allowed.
    Usually the only place you see a rule against using them is in tournaments, you just about never see it in leagues (if a league did have that rule, most likely it's because it was a problem in the past on that league.).

Also if you don't know it, most tournaments and a lot of leagues have dress codes also. To see a example look at the link to the tournaments rules above.

Chats: 0

Glow bowling (Cosmic or Xtreme) depending on Brunswick or AMF to me anymore isn't a factor. I've seen it so much, done it so much that I seem to bowl exactly the same either way. Just one more thing I've learned to block out, ignore and adapt to. Using ear buds for music, I couldn't do. Might as well tie my legs together with rope. I would feel too movement restricted trying not to lose my ear buds if wireless or be worried about yanking out the wires. When I bowl, EVERYTHING comes out of my pockets too.....phone, change, wallet, smokes, keys or whatever and goes in a zipper bag in my bowling bag. (except for cash) I don't like getting poked by anything or having things rattle around or get squished or flying out of my pockets. I like free unrestricted movement when I bowl. If the center has music cranked to the max, it doesn't bother me in the least.

"Candle Light" bowl is what Bowl1820 was talking about, at least that's what they called it here. All the lights were out above the sette area as well as over the lanes, just the pinsetter lights were on. That's more difficult because you cannot see the arrows/dots hardly at all unless you're a cat. Not saying it can't be done but not easily. Those were usually 9 pin no taps to help people so everyone wasn't bowling double digits. Fun but "Glow" kinda took over these days. Candle Light is rare now pretty rare.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

I've bowled very infrequently when the alleys are set for Cosmic or Galaxy bowling as it's usually late at night. I went one weekend by myself to practice and they had it set up a bit earlier. As I recall I could see the arrows okay, but not much farther down the lane until you got to the pins themselves. Some shots I liked to do I couldn't because I could only guess where the target was. I had to adjust. Adjust I did, especially for the 10 pin. I didn't miss a one. These days I've moved my spare shot targets just past the half way point on the lane and it seems like it's helping me. I liked that the music was on and even some of it I could relate to as an older guy... This was good for my confidence in hitting 10 pins anyway...

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    "Candle Light" bowl is what Bowl1820 was talking about, at least that's what they called it here. All the lights were out above the sette area as well as over the lanes, just the pinsetter lights were on. That's more difficult because you cannot see the arrows/dots hardly at all unless you're a cat. Not saying it can't be done but not easily. Those were usually 9 pin no taps to help people so everyone wasn't bowling double digits. Fun but "Glow" kinda took over these days. Candle Light is rare now pretty rare.
    "Candle light", "Moonlight" it's known by different names depending on what area your in, We didn't do no-tap though. Here we bowled regular and used colored pins for money shots, plus they sold tickets for best ball and had pots. One house did a special pot, if you got picked they turned out all the lights you shot at a rack of solid black pins that were double weight in the dark if you got a strike you won. A friend of mine shot a strike and won $1500.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast