Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Type!

Default Oil Type!

Hi Everyone,
    Could anyone tell me what type of oil is the standard lane surface oil used for the synthetic type of lane flooring material?
    Many Thanks!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Your best bet would be to ask one of the people who oil the lanes where you bowl.
    John

It would make sense to me that different bowling alleys use different kinds of oil, depending on several factors including what is available to them. But that is just a guess. I think your best bet would be to do as J Anderson suggests and ask the center at which you bowl. I'm sure somebody there would be able to help you.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Bobb64 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Could anyone tell me what type of oil is the standard lane surface oil used for the synthetic type of lane flooring material?
    Many Thanks!
    As J Anderson said To know what your house is using you'd have to ask them. There is no "standard " one that is used every where.

There are many types of oil used on today's synthetic lanes, made by several companies. Take a look here at Kegel they have 11 different types.

http://www.kegel.net/lane-supplies-home

For the most part mineral oil is used for the base, but with different amounts/types of additives used with it to to create increased durability, performance, friction, viscosity etc.

here's a article that can give you a idea about modern lane conditioners (oil)

10 Things That Everyone Should Know About Lane Conditioners
    http://www.kegel.net/wpa/cc01

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    As J Anderson said To know what your house is using you'd have to ask them. There is no "standard " one that is used every where.

There are many types of oil used on today's synthetic lanes, made by several companies. Take a look here at Kegel they have 11 different types.

http://www.kegel.net/lane-supplies-home

For the most part mineral oil is used for the base, but with different amounts/types of additives used with it to to create increased durability, performance, friction, viscosity etc.

here's a article that can give you a idea about modern lane conditioners (oil)

10 Things That Everyone Should Know About Lane Conditioners
    http://www.kegel.net/wpa/cc01
    Thanks for the tips!

Thanks John!

Hi J Daisy,
    Did so, they weren t much help.But thanks anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobb64 View Post
    Hi J Daisy,
    Did so, they weren t much help.But thanks anyways.
    I'm sorry to hear that. You'd think they would know, seeing as it is them who oil the lanes. I hope you can find the answers you're looking for. Sorry I can't help much there.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    You'd think they would know, seeing as it is them who oil the lanes.
    One thing you learn after you start bowling is that the majority of houses don't tell the bowlers what the oil they use is or what the oil pattern is.

Most of the employees are clueless and don't know anything about it in the first place, they just press a button on the machine and it lays the pattern and the one's that do know about it guard it like a state secret.

Mainly it's because they don't want to hear the players complaining. It doesn't matter if they had the best oil and the easiest pattern there was out there. Someone bowls bad on it, it's the oil and the houses fault.

Some don't want them to know they use the cheapest oil, put out as little as they have to etc. etc.

The thing to realize is for the most part , knowing the pattern, oil type etc. doesn't really help the majority of bowlers. They don't really understand or know how to make use of the information once they get it and (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing) it could actually hurt them.

Most are better off not worrying about it at first, They would be better off just getting out on the lane and watching how their ball reacts and adjusting to what they see. Not trying play the lane how they think the "oil pattern" says it should be played.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    One thing you learn after you start bowling is that the majority of houses don't tell the bowlers what the oil they use is or what the oil pattern is.

Most of the employees are clueless and don't know anything about it in the first place, they just press a button on the machine and it lays the pattern and the one's that do know about it guard it like a state secret.

Mainly it's because they don't want to hear the players complaining. It doesn't matter if they had the best oil and the easiest pattern there was out there. Someone bowls bad on it, it's the oil and the houses fault.

Some don't want them to know they use the cheapest oil, put out as little as they have to etc. etc.

The thing to realize is for the most part , knowing the pattern, oil type etc. doesn't really help the majority of bowlers. They don't really understand or know how to make use of the information once they get it and (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing) it could actually hurt them.

Most are better off not worrying about it at first, They would be better off just getting out on the lane and watching how their ball reacts and adjusting to what they see. Not trying play the lane how they think the "oil pattern" says it should be played.
    I've never looked at it like that. Thanks.

And I have been bowling for a while, anyway. A little under a year. What do you mean, “One thing you learn after you start bowling”? Since you quoted me, I'm assuming that this is directed at me rather than in general. No offense taken either way... I still have a lot to learn yet, and I know that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast