Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowling Center vs. Bowling Alley

Chats: 0

I could care less about being politically correct. The phrase itself is a complete contradiction. How many politicians have you ever heard that were correct about anything? All I do is say what I mean and mean what I say, if people don't like the format in which I do so? Too bad, so sad. When they can come up with a synonym for "Thesaurus" then they can come complain to me, until then they can go away.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I could care less about being politically correct. The phrase itself is a complete contradiction. How many politicians have you ever heard that were correct about anything? All I do is say what I mean and mean what I say, if people don't like the format in which I do so? Too bad, so sad. When they can come up with a synonym for "Thesaurus" then they can come complain to me, until then they can go away.
    Agreed. By the way, it's “synonym onomasticon”. I reserve the right to complain at a future date.

If memory servers an onomasticon is a listing of words. You have to add the word Synonym to it for that to work, however thesaurus also shows the antonyms. So to be correct you'd have to say "Synonym and Antonym onomasticon" for it to be a proper synonym but then again that now would categorize it as a "Phrase" vs. a synonym. I call that the best effort I have ever seen to come up with one though so I give you an "A".
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

If memory servers an onomasticon is a listing of words. You have to add the word Synonym to it for that to work, however thesaurus also shows the antonyms. So to be correct you'd have to say "Synonym and Antonym onomasticon" for it to be a proper synonym but then again that now would categorize it as a "Phrase" vs. a synonym. I call that the best effort I have ever seen to come up with one though so I give you an "A".
    Haha, would ya now? And here I thought I was done with school.

At least you had an intelligent response. For what it's worth, spell check never even heard of the word "Onomasticon" therefore underlines it in red. It IS a correct word though. LOL
    Bowling Center Manager

At least you had an intelligent response. For what it's worth, spell check never even heard of the word "Onomasticon" therefore underlines it in red. It IS a correct word though. LOL
    I don't even have spell check on my flip phone, which is what I used to post that, so I didn't even know that. I don't have spell check on half of my devices. I don't care much for it. It makes peeple lazzy spellars, haha.

This conversation was taken off topic fast. Too many deer paths. To put it back on topic, does anybody here actually take offense to the term “bowling alley”?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

It only really matters if you give a rats patooty about being politically correct. 99% will know what you mean either way. I did notice in TN that many of the bowling "centers" names in had "Alley" in the name rather than "XXX Bowl" or "XXX Lanes", what do you do then when it's "XXX Alley"? Call it "XXX Alley center"? LOL
    It’s not really about being politically correct. The only ones offended by the term bowling alley are those who work at or own “bowling centers”, or those who feel that connecting bowling with alley gives alleys a bad reputation.

Bowling has gone through periods of disrepute. In the 1800s there was so much gambling associated with bowling that the most common form at the time, 9 pin, was banned. Even at the start of the PBA, there was still a trace of bowling's darker history, prompting the organization to adopt strict codes of dress and public behavior. The use of the phrase bowling center is really more of a low cost marketing idea. You know, don’ really change anything but use center instead of ally in all your press releases.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    It’s not really about being politically correct. The only ones offended by the term bowling alley are those who work at or own “bowling centers”, or those who feel that connecting bowling with alley gives alleys a bad reputation.

Bowling has gone through periods of disrepute. In the 1800s there was so much gambling associated with bowling that the most common form at the time, 9 pin, was banned. Even at the start of the PBA, there was still a trace of bowling's darker history, prompting the organization to adopt strict codes of dress and public behavior. The use of the phrase bowling center is really more of a low cost marketing idea. You know, don’ really change anything but use center instead of ally in all your press releases.
    Why would bowling alley/center owners take offense? Nobody pictures a dank, seedy gambling den when the term bowling alley is used today. Anyway, a rose by any other name smells just as sweet.

Although, I lean toward the Shemp and Moe Howard version: “A rose by any other name smells...” “And so do you!” (Meaning Shemp, not you, obviously. LOL)

Wow a Stooges quote and an abstract one and a Shemp at that.... You truly are old school. Impressed... Very impressed

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    Why would bowling alley/center owners take offense? Nobody pictures a dank, seedy gambling den when the term bowling alley is used today. Anyway, a rose by any other name smells just as sweet.

Although, I lean toward the Shemp and Moe Howard version: “A rose by any other name smells...” “And so do you!” (Meaning Shemp, not you, obviously. LOL)
    Business owners can be rather peculiar. While they should be happy people are talking about their business, some of them will get bent out of shape if your comments don’t match with their “branding”, even though the statements reflect positively on the business.

On the other hand, sometimes it’s the employees who take offense. Years ago, I was working as a temp at Perkin-Elmer. My supervisor’s boss had a side business called the Barter Shop, sort of like American Pickers without the cameras or the big dollars. I stopped in to see what it was like one afternoon and after I had looked around a bit the owner asked me what I thought of it. I said, “You’ve got quite a bunch of junk.” His employee got all upset saying that it wasn’t junk but valuable antiques. The owner stepped in and defended me , saying That I knew junk when I saw it.
    John

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast