Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowling Center vs. Bowling Alley

for what it's worth I kind of use them interchangeably and also never heard of anyone caring one way or the other. Also, never a question I even thought of!

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Wow a Stooges quote and an abstract one and a Shemp at that.... You truly are old school. Impressed... Very impressed
    Certainly! Let me tip my invisible derby (pronounced doy-bee) and take a bow. I grew up on the Stooges. And about the old school part, I DID try to tell you, it's pretty bad. Somebody mentions their Apple and their Blueberry, and I still think fruit, haha.

Now to put the conversation back on track again...

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Business owners can be rather peculiar. While they should be happy people are talking about their business, some of them will get bent out of shape if your comments don’t match with their “branding”, even though the statements reflect positively on the business.

On the other hand, sometimes it’s the employees who take offense. Years ago, I was working as a temp at Perkin-Elmer. My supervisor’s boss had a side business called the Barter Shop, sort of like American Pickers without the cameras or the big dollars. I stopped in to see what it was like one afternoon and after I had looked around a bit the owner asked me what I thought of it. I said, “You’ve got quite a bunch of junk.” His employee got all upset saying that it wasn’t junk but valuable antiques. The owner stepped in and defended me , saying That I knew junk when I saw it.
    It doesn't really sound like those are people who should be catered to anyway. It sounds like they are looking to take offense, and it doesn't matter what somebody says.

Haha, that's funny. Thank you for sharing that story.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    for what it's worth I kind of use them interchangeably and also never heard of anyone caring one way or the other. Also, never a question I even thought of!
    Thanks for your input. Glad the question sparked so much interest on here. I think this may be my most popular thread.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    Certainly! Let me tip my invisible derby (pronounced doy-bee) and take a bow. I grew up on the Stooges. And about the old school part, I DID try to tell you, it's pretty bad. Somebody mentions their Apple and their Blueberry, and I still think fruit, haha.

Now to put the conversation back on track again...
    Blueberry as in the first Bonde Blue iMac or are you talking about a Blackberry phone? Have the Bonde Blue and had a Blackberry phone which I dropped in a puddle. How about the Newton? I still have my Mac IIcx and it still works!
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Blueberry as in the first Bonde Blue iMac or are you talking about a Blackberry phone? Have the Bonde Blue and had a Blackberry phone which I dropped in a puddle. How about the Newton? I still have my Mac IIcx and it still works!
    Blackberry? Is that what it's called, haha? Point made. I know nothing about such things. And the only Newton that comes to mind either has a fig filling or discovered the Law of Gravity. Since gravity doesn't weigh in this conversation, I'm guessing that's not what you mean.

Chats: 55

Since Bowlmor owns most everything around here, it's become Bowling Center as they have made them all into entertainment centers. Ones that aren't are usually still referred to as Alleys. Actually, most of us disagree with the Bowlmor Corporate Business Plan, so we just refer to all of them as "the Lanes"; as in, "are you going to the lanes on Sunday?"

Forget political correctness, we bowlers all know what we are talking about...and well, the others just don't matter if they understand or not.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Since Bowlmor owns most everything around here, it's become Bowling Center as they have made them all into entertainment centers. Ones that aren't are usually still referred to as Alleys. Actually, most of us disagree with the Bowlmor Corporate Business Plan, so we just refer to all of them as "the Lanes"; as in, "are you going to the lanes on Sunday?"

Forget political correctness, we bowlers all know what we are talking about...and well, the others just don't matter if they understand or not.
    Good way of looking at things.

Chats: 0

So I got yet another opinion on this OP. When I went in to the new center I will be working at. The girl at the counter said "You don't work at a "Center" if it's only 12 lanes, you work at an "Alley". A "Center" is anything 36 lanes or more, if it's less it's an "Alley". This is a "Center" because we have 52 lanes!" Okay, never heard that before but I didn't question her and corrected myself. Later that day I asked the PBA pro I'll be working for, he said "She's full of ...., she has no idea what she's talking about. LOL He said he don't even know what the difference is but it ain't that. LOL Although it didn't answer your question, I'd rather take his word on it than the counter girl.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

So I got yet another opinion on this OP. When I went in to the new center I will be working at. The girl at the counter said "You don't work at a "Center" if it's only 12 lanes, you work at an "Alley". A "Center" is anything 36 lanes or more, if it's less it's an "Alley". This is a "Center" because we have 52 lanes!" Okay, never heard that before but I didn't question her and corrected myself. Later that day I asked the PBA pro I'll be working for, he said "She's full of ...., she has no idea what she's talking about. LOL He said he don't even know what the difference is but it ain't that. LOL Although it didn't answer your question, I'd rather take his word on it than the counter girl.
    That is interesting! Thanks for asking them, it is really cool to get their opinions on this. Yeah, I would say that he would know better than her, haha.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast