Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bowling Today; Any Tips For Improving?

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    You said you have your approach "down pat"? Let me start by saying that you NEVER have it down pat. You may have your basic style repeatable but it will be always something that will need tweaking over the years. I uploaded a video here last year for critique and let me say that if I uploaded on today you'd would swear it's not the same person. Not because I cut my hair off either. The very basic mechanics of my approach are similar to what I've done for 42 years now, but a trained coach would definitely be able to spot everything I have done and know why I did it. An untrained eye would see only the drastic changes.

You're style is unique to you, a coach will help you refine it to make it work. As a beginner, that should be your primary focus. How your ball spins, what ball you use (as long as it's drilled for you and proper weight) and what pins you knock down are irrelevant at this stage in your development. Like the old adage, "Learn to walk before you learn to run". It's clear you can't get a coach right now. In the interim may I suggest you watch "How to" videos from the pros to learn the basics. There are several volumes online available, many for free. Get yourself a cheap tripod for your cell phone or tablet and record yourself on the lanes. Do it from several angles. Upload videos here for critique. Watch those videos yourself, play them in slow motion and see if you can identify things you are doing wrong. Others here will point out the rest.

Practice, practice and more practice! You can do it in your own living room or kitchen. Sounds ridiculous but it's true. Most of all, don't get frustrated. I'm trying to instill that into my son. I told him just last night, you don't know enough yet to justify getting frustrated. Right now, everything is just a guessing game with him on where to stand, what to target. Once he learns the proper way of doing that and he don't do it....THEN he can get frustrated. Right now the most important thing is patience and learning those things and ignoring the score monitor.
    I said that I have my form and footing down pat. Meaning, the proper foot to start on, the proper number of steps, the proper foot to end on, are all like a second nature to me by now. I know that as my skills improve, things like this will change and grow with me.

Thank you for posting.

The idea of posting a video is a good one. I'm a little camera shy, but I will think about it.

You said I can practice at home. My choices of flooring are carpet and concrete. Would a concrete floor damage my vintage plastic ball? I would rather not take the chance if there is a large risk of that.

Chats: 0

LOL I meant practicing at home meaning going through the motions. You don't even need a ball in hand necessarily. I wouldn't recommend pitching a ball around your house, forget about damaging the ball. Bowling balls aren't very good for any home furnishings, pets or other peoples feet. LOL

Oh and on the video, we can either look at the back of your head or just angle it so your face isn't in the video. The expressions on your face really aren't as crutal to the bowling process.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    LOL I meant practicing at home meaning going through the motions. You don't even need a ball in hand necessarily. I wouldn't recommend pitching a ball around your house, forget about damaging the ball. Bowling balls aren't very good for any home furnishings, pets or other peoples feet. LOL

Oh and on the video, we can either look at the back of your head or just angle it so your face isn't in the video. The expressions on your face really aren't as crutal to the bowling process.
    Haha, when you had said it “sounds ridiculous”, I had assumed you meant throwing the ball. If I wasn't actually throwing the ball, it wouldn't be ridiculous.

I'll think about the video. It is a good idea.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123