Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My last two weeks

Chats: 0

Any job can be interesting if you make it that way. If you moan and groan about going into work every day then you will make sure it sucks. If you look forward to it with a positive outlook then any job can be enjoyable. I went through a stint where I unloaded musical instruments out of semi trailers all day by hand. The work itself was very labor intensive and I was completely beat after working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week for a whopping $10 an hour. The people I worked with and I clicked together as far as personalities go and we had a blast every day. We were a bunch of goofs but we rocked out our job and were the most productive crew on the dock. You could tell everyone else was there because they had to be and they didn't get any enjoyment out of it.

I loved it, even though it was hard work. The dock you either froze or sweated like a beast, very little in between. We found a way to make it work just by making it fun. We even got into competitions on who can unload the most in a minute with the boss. The boss let us slide on so much stuff that nobody else would get away with because in the end we did what we had to do and did it well. Although I don't miss doing that work or pay in the least, it just proves that anything you can do can be enjoyable if you find a way to make it so.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

An update. It seems that every time I go into work I have to say goodbye to someone else. It's not as easy as I thought. I have 3 days left of work, Sat, Sun and Monday then I turn in my shirts, name tag and keys to the bowling alley. Tomorrow night we have live bands, it's going to be nuts. I'm welcoming it because I know I should walk out with a nice pile of cash which is of course helpful. I find myself thinking about only two things these days. One is the anticipation of getting started, things I'm going to do and the ideas I have to bring. The second is saying goodbye to my family. That is going to be the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. Aside from a couple sleep overs and friends house I've never been away from my daughter her entire life.

I know it's only temporary but it's going to be so difficult. I keep reminding myself I'm doing this for them and my daughter especially is my inspiration to go down there and kick ***. I'm not sure yet how often I will be able to return until I can find them a permanent place. I have to come back to help pack this house and of course for "the move" on the big day. My Bree even blew off her friends this past weekend which was her last weekend of summer vacation. They wanted her to participate in a sleep over with a bunch of her friends. She declined and told them because she wanted to spend time with me before I left.

The other part of it is that my wife will be going in for her back surgery she's been trying to get for 3 years on the 27th. Sadly, there is no way I can possibly come up for that. I'll be going down on the 21'st so it's only a week later. My wife said that she's not going to stand in my way or possibly jeopardize this opportunity in any way. She's going to be in the hospital anywhere from 2-4 days. We do have someone to care for the kids while she is there and while wifey recovers. Recovery is going to take anywhere from 4-6 weeks. My wife has had quite a few surgeries in the past, none this major and I've been there for all of them. Virtually every doctors appointment she's ever had I've been there. We didn't know until AFTER I put in my notice and committed to my start date when her surgery was going to be. We figured it was going to be at least another 30-60 days down the road. They threw out the 27th and she said "Lets do it!"

This is all bitter sweet and there is going to be some emotional times ahead for all of us here under this roof. I know in the end this is the best thing for us all. Wifey can finally get the quality of life from this surgery that she's been waiting on for almost 6 years of pain when this all started. Not to mention a better quality of life for us all since we won't be struggling like we have been since 2008. I know this will all work out, it's just getting over this last big hump. I'm sure time will past quickly before we are all reunited. I know even then it's not going to be all rainbows and lollipops but I'm sure that it's not going to be anything compared to what we have dealt with for the last 11 years. I wish her father (Papa) was still around to see all this but I know he's looking down smiling proud of all of us.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

LAST DAY! One last shift to go and it's a done deal! The last hour tonight I'm going to hop on the other side of the bar and have a celebratory beer or two with my long time regular customer Joe. Since I've been there I've never done that. He's an elderly man, in poor health and he's become a good friend. I've always looked forward to him coming every night. He's taking my leaving pretty hard since he really don't have any real friends. I'm going to miss Joe more than anyone there. He'll get a kick out of me throwing one back with him. While I enjoy that I'll watch my subordinates work for a while, take one last walk around and head on out the door.
    Bowling Center Manager

I made it! The two weeks is over! It was very difficult as predicted. This is the first time in my life I quit a job I really liked. It was very hard driving away last night knowing I'll never be behind that counter ever again. Luckily, the vast majority of the people I wanted say goodbye to had popped in at some point over the past two weeks. I never enjoyed working somewhere as much as I did here. It's funny how much of a mark I made there in a relatively short amount of time. At least I get to leave knowing that. Joe did come in and it was very very hard. He told me I was the best they've ever had there and I really found my nitch. He's been coming there for years and seen a lot of people behind the counter, to hear him say that was a real honor.

They brought back a former employee who coincidentally trained me when I started and he left shortly after. He's a young guy and when the GM said he was coming back I asked him "As an assistant manager?" he said "No way" I said "That's a mistake, he's your guy! Make him Assistant Manager!" He came back Saturday and the GM took my advice. I really want this guy to shine and do well. I made sure to refresh him on what he's missed and talked extensively with him last night to advise him properly on how to be a good assistant manager. I warned him on the things to watch out for made sure he didn't have his subordinates take advantage of him. It is one of those places you do have to watch your back because daggers tend to fly by quite frequently so you had better be able to duck. I wish he came back sooner.

The last hour of my shift when I went around to the other side of the bar, at least 20 people (employees, former employee, customers and my family) all came in to throw a little pop up party for me. It was very nice of them to do to give me a send off. I ended up having more than the planned beer or two and we ended up bowling a few. I didn't get out of there until 2 hours after close. It was nice to know that they cared enough to do that. Nobody else who's left since I've been there got any kind of send off. Again, it was emotional leaving but I know I did the right thing. So this is Bobby at the Tiv Bowl, signing off....over and out. On to the next adventure!
    Bowling Center Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I made it! The two weeks is over! It was very difficult as predicted. This is the first time in my life I quit a job I really liked. It was very hard driving away last night knowing I'll never be behind that counter ever again. Luckily, the vast majority of the people I wanted say goodbye to had popped in at some point over the past two weeks. I never enjoyed working somewhere as much as I did here. It's funny how much of a mark I made there in a relatively short amount of time. At least I get to leave knowing that. Joe did come in and it was very very hard. He told me I was the best they've ever had there and I really found my nitch. He's been coming there for years and seen a lot of people behind the counter, to hear him say that was a real honor.

They brought back a former employee who coincidentally trained me when I started and he left shortly after. He's a young guy and when the GM said he was coming back I asked him "As an assistant manager?" he said "No way" I said "That's a mistake, he's your guy! Make him Assistant Manager!" He came back Saturday and the GM took my advice. I really want this guy to shine and do well. I made sure to refresh him on what he's missed and talked extensively with him last night to advise him properly on how to be a good assistant manager. I warned him on the things to watch out for made sure he didn't have his subordinates take advantage of him. It is one of those places you do have to watch your back because daggers tend to fly by quite frequently so you had better be able to duck. I wish he came back sooner.

The last hour of my shift when I went around to the other side of the bar, at least 20 people (employees, former employee, customers and my family) all came in to throw a little pop up party for me. It was very nice of them to do to give me a send off. I ended up having more than the planned beer or two and we ended up bowling a few. I didn't get out of there until 2 hours after close. It was nice to know that they cared enough to do that. Nobody else who's left since I've been there got any kind of send off. Again, it was emotional leaving but I know I did the right thing. So this is Bobby at the Tiv Bowl, signing off....over and out. On to the next adventure!
    And what an adventure it was!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12