Thread: 9 Count

Default 9 Count

Hello to all,

For most of this year, I have been getting good pocket hits, but "Almost Always" leave one pin. I'm left handed, and the majority of my leaves are on the left side, However, to leave a 5 pin or a 10 pin is not uncommon. I'll average maybe one or two strikes per game. I know it's important to pick up spares, but this "Leaving One Pin" is maddening. Help?

Chats: 0

It depends on a lot of factors. Is your ball too light? Is your ball rolling out before it hits the pocket instead of driving through it? Is it driving through too much? Usually left side leaves are from hitting the pocket too high. More information would be helpful to be able to give you the best advice. A video would also be great
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    It depends on a lot of factors. Is your ball too light? Is your ball rolling out before it hits the pocket instead of driving through it? Is it driving through too much? Usually left side leaves are from hitting the pocket too high. More information would be helpful to be able to give you the best advice. A video would also be great
    I use a 14 pound Storm "Crux" with a "Pearl" coverstock. the "Pin" is about 1/4 inch to the left and above my ring finger. My strikes are not "BAM" strikes, they are pretty much "Mixers" and "Slop" strikes. I got my 300 game in 2002 using a Storm Thunder Road 15 lb drilled with the pin two inches directly to the left on a straight line from my ring finger. That was back when I was 52 years old. Ill be 70 in November, and not as strong and flexible as I was then. That's no excuse, there are guys out there who are older and in "Worse Shape" than I am, who are "Killing It." I seem to have "Mediocre" rotation on the ball. How to get more? By the way, and for what it's worth, my 300 was on wooden lanes. I "Cut My Teeth" on wooden lanes.
    Thank You Very Much

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by xnavydoc View Post
    Hello to all,

For most of this year, I have been getting good pocket hits, but "Almost Always" leave one pin. I'm left handed, and the majority of my leaves are on the left side, However, to leave a 5 pin or a 10 pin is not uncommon. I'll average maybe one or two strikes per game. I know it's important to pick up spares, but this "Leaving One Pin" is maddening. Help?
    It sounds like you are hitting “light”. There are a lot of possible reasons:
    1. The ball is hitting the pins just left of the true pocket (the 17.5 board)
    2. The ball has lost too much energy before getting to the pins, and deflects too much.
    3. The ball is not coming in at the right angle, and deflects too much.
    4. The ball is coming in too slow and deflects too much.

Taking a guess without seeing what is actually happening, try moving your whole line right so the ball stays in the oil and saves more energy for the pins.
    John

Sounds like a "Plan" Thanks. Now that I think about it, I "Have" been getting
    Too Much Headpin"
    Thanks again

Chats: 0

That will do it every time.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Chats: 221

I agree with moving everything right to move in to the oil more. Even though it is a pearls the Crux has a strong asymmetrical core and is likely burning up some causing the weak hit. moving your feet and target right into the oil will allow it to retain more energy into the pocket
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)