Thread: The next ball for my son

Chats: 0

Default The next ball for my son

I'm wondering what I should get him for his next ball. Right now he's using a 15# plastic ball. I had some reactive balls for him set aside but those are the ones that cracked before I could get them to the pro shop. I know when we get down to TN that they have a huge rack of 100 different balls that he can have for free, they are all donors. Many are name brand reactive balls. He throws about 16mph and seems to have more revs than I do. His axis tilt seems to vary by the session. Some days he seems to spin it and other times flattens it out but either way high rev.
    He's never thrown a reactive ball and he too is used to wood lanes. Even on the wood he gets more back end than I do. I'm thinking even my Venom Shock would be too strong for him but I could be wrong. He tends to get more leaves due to deflection using the plastic. I'd like to get him something with a little more pop when it hits the pocket but nothing ridiculous. Suggestions?
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Chats: 32

16 MPH isn't bad for an adult more less a kid. I figure he could handle the venom shock if you wanted but and low to medium end ball should do. Brunswick Rhino or a Hammer Vibe class ball would be what I'd start with myself. Avoid asymmetrical cores.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I know right? This kid has grown like a foot in the last year and a half, he's 6' and 170lbs. Two inches and he's my height and he already out weighs me and he's only 14. Kids gonna grow up to be a gorilla. I don't think they still make the same VS that I use. I didn't look on that rack for anything specific. A PSO may still be able to get one or even the pearl VS if that would be more controllable. The only snake ball they have on bowlingball.com is the Recoil.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Chats: 256

Yep, I agree with Amyers. Something symmetrical in the "Entry Level" from any of the manufacturers will be a good intro to reactives.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I know right? This kid has grown like a foot in the last year and a half, he's 6' and 170lbs. Two inches and he's my height and he already out weighs me and he's only 14. Kids gonna grow up to be a gorilla. I don't think they still make the same VS that I use. I didn't look on that rack for anything specific. A PSO may still be able to get one or even the pearl VS if that would be more controllable. The only snake ball they have on bowlingball.com is the Recoil.
    I thought maybe you were looking to switch him to your old one lol. The Motiv Venom Shock is still available for order if it is that one. If I was looking new I'd probably go Hammer Vibe The orange one is the newest but they are all close.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I thought maybe you were looking to switch him to your old one lol. The Motiv Venom Shock is still available for order if it is that one. If I was looking new I'd probably go Hammer Vibe The orange one is the newest but they are all close.
    Oh heck no he ain't getting MY VS! LOL I just got that baby drilled properly and I beat a pro bowler 2 out of 3 with it my 3rd use since. That VS is my baby! No, he can get his own darn ball! He can keep his grubby fingers outta my arsenal! LMAO
    Bowling Center Manager

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Look at the Radical Counter Attack Solid

Phoney, Take a look at the following: Storm IQ Tour, Radical Intel, Ebonite Game Breaker 3 hybrid and Hammer Web Tour.
    These are lower RG, lower differential balls. These should get into a roll pretty well and be a bit easier to control hopefully.
    Hope this helps...

Chats: 221

900 Global Ordinance sold or After Dark solid
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)