Thread: Most comparable ball to Nexus Solid

Chats: 0

Default Most comparable ball to Nexus Solid

I had to take the last few years off from bowling and in that time, the person that runs the shop I used has moved on so I don't really have anyone I trust for help. The best ball I've ever owned for our house was the Brunswick Nexus Solid. I still have it but it's got a lot of games on it and I need a new arsenal. Does anyone know what is out there right now that's very comparable to the Nexus? I'm a senior so I can't crank it like the kids. I'm a down and in guy. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by rdd1952 View Post
    I had to take the last few years off from bowling and in that time, the person that runs the shop I used has moved on so I don't really have anyone I trust for help. The best ball I've ever owned for our house was the Brunswick Nexus Solid. I still have it but it's got a lot of games on it and I need a new arsenal. Does anyone know what is out there right now that's very comparable to the Nexus? I'm a senior so I can't crank it like the kids. I'm a down and in guy. Thanks in advance.
    As you've been off for a few years, what worked for you before is really not relevant now. Your body has changed. The lanes have changed. Bowling balls have changed. Start off with an old ball, and find someone that you CAN trust. If you start over now, you are way ahead of the the game!

Chats: 0

I have my old Nexus and a Pearl Cell. I bowled a good bit during the summer trying to get back in the swing but it was primarily on a burn after league had bowled the night before and probably averaged 210 or so. I opened league this past week with 169-203-221 but those balls with a LOT of games on them labored on fresh oil. I think we bowl the team that the new shop owner bowls on this week so maybe I can talk to him then and see what he suggests.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Think you are on the right path with talking to the pro shop owner about his suggestions; in the effort of working out if you can trust the pro shop operator or not you can discuss on this board what you said you wanted from the pro shop operator and their follow up in regards to equipment to see if those align (to some degree).

My concerns around recommending equipment are pretty much the same for most people on these boards; (a) unless you post a video no one here is going to really know how you bowl - perception vs. reality can be very different when speaking to physical games. (b) we don't really know the house and if you have had a long time between bowling the house may have changed up conditions, there could be significant changes to the lanes themselves, etc. - what may have rolled well in the past could be terrible now. (c) we don't know your maintenance practices and how disciplines you were in implementing them - if we both had the Nexus solid and you were habitual in cleaning it after each set, resurfacing it regularly, etc. but I on the other hand never cleaned or resurfaced the ball our experiences would be wildly different [also where in the scale of the ball life was it performing the best].

I will say though the boards are going to be good in this situation if you are not sure about something the pro shop operator is telling you or if something doesn't pass the smell test and you need to bounce the conversation off of some people here (i.e. if you go into the pro shop expressing that you need a ball that would serve you well when the lanes are fresh with a lot of oil and then they recommend something like a Hammer Vibe many people on this board will be able to advise you that a second opinion is likely in order.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird