Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Really need to work on my spares

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Couldn't get strikes or cover spares tonight. Don't know what the problem is and tired of trying to figure it out. Pretty sure my issue is me but just odd that 2 of my teammates are 25 below their averages and I'm about 15-20 below mine.

One ball hits light and the next goes through the nose. Only reason I say it's me is cause I'm missing spares like crazy too. Missing the 5 pin??? Dunno. Just frustrated with it and it isn't fun. We lost 2/3 tonight to the last place team. They had only won 2 games all year and they beat us twice tonight. And we are usually one of the top teams.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Couldn't get strikes or cover spares tonight. Don't know what the problem is and tired of trying to figure it out. Pretty sure my issue is me but just odd that 2 of my teammates are 25 below their averages and I'm about 15-20 below mine.
    Yet another example of bowlers refusing to believe that they are not in control of their own destiny; they are at the mercy of the lanes. If your average is down 15-20 pins and two of your teammates are down 25, the problem is obviously the lanes. For whatever reason, the shot has changed. Deal with trying to figure out the shot and stop thinking that you can overpower what the lanes are giving you; you can't!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post

One ball hits light and the next goes through the nose. Only reason I say it's me is cause I'm missing spares like crazy too. Missing the 5 pin??? Dunno. Just frustrated with it and it isn't fun. We lost 2/3 tonight to the last place team. They had only won 2 games all year and they beat us twice tonight. And we are usually one of the top teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Yet another example of bowlers refusing to believe that they are not in control of their own destiny; they are at the mercy of the lanes. If your average is down 15-20 pins and two of your teammates are down 25, the problem is obviously the lanes. For whatever reason, the shot has changed. Deal with trying to figure out the shot and stop thinking that you can overpower what the lanes are giving you; you can't!
    The title of the thread says it all. I’m guessing that your spare system is based on your strike shot except for the seven pin. If, as Rob says, the shot has changed, you are no longer lined up for the pocket, and as an added bonus, the ball isn’t going to go where you intend it to on the spare attempts.
    Forget about the symmetric/ asymmetric b.s. and get a real spare ball and spend a few practice sessions developing a spare system that works for you no matter what condition the lanes are in.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    The title of the thread says it all. I’m guessing that your spare system is based on your strike shot except for the seven pin. If, as Rob says, the shot has changed, you are no longer lined up for the pocket, and as an added bonus, the ball isn’t going to go where you intend it to on the spare attempts.
    Forget about the symmetric/ asymmetric b.s. and get a real spare ball and spend a few practice sessions developing a spare system that works for you no matter what condition the lanes are in.
    A lot of people like to push that they don't need a spare ball. I've had to push it multiple times that everyone needs a pancake ball. It's going go pretty much exactly where you throw it 9.9/10 times. Eliminate the possibility of movement by just getting that cheap WD or Maxim.
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and ball contest winner
    What's in the bag: Radical Zing/Ebonite Choice Pearl/Track Tactix

The concept that bowlers do not need a spare ball because they can use their strike ball and flatten out their hand is leftover from the days when strike balls didn't have cores. Today, balls have cores and hook by themselves, rendering that theory useless. Now, before anyone chimes in that they pick up most of their corner pins with their strike ball, please remember that I'm not saying that you can never do it. I'm just saying that your percentage will go way up using a pancake plastic ball.

High Roller

I completely understand the plastic ball thing but when I just can't hit my target I'm not sure a plastic ball will help...lol. I threw my Rhino last night as a strike ball just to see what it would do and it maybe moved 2-3 boards max. At the rate I'm missing spares I'm not sure 2-3 boards will make a big difference? Last night I had 11 strikes in 3 games. The week before I had 9. A spare ball might help on a couple of shots a night but I seem to be all over the place lately.

I mentioned to my PSO last night about a new ball. He said the same thing about having 3 assym balls that are all pretty aggressive and that if anything he would recommend a symmetric ball for my next one. I also mentioned a spare ball and he wasn't that excited about that. I mentioned the Squatch solid or pearl and he said both of those will go pretty straight for me. Wasn't a deep discussion since it was after league and he was sitting in the bar by then. Might swing by and talk to him more tonight.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

High Roller

So thought about it a little and will try to break it down into something better than just 'i suck'...lol.

The other day I mentioned my arm, wrist, and fingers had been sore. Last night I tried to be mindful of not 'lifting' up the back of the ball (or come around the ball). I did catch myself a couple of times and could feel the difference. Not from pain but felt the extra pressure on my fingertips. We also bowled on the end pair which everyone complains about but I had always bowled good there until last night. Also, I had been working on keeping my speed down. It seems I bowl best when the sensors read about 16.5ish. Usually I am higher 17's, or at a minimum low 17's. Last week I had a few that were in the 15's and even one in the 14's. Last night my first game (189) I was about mid 16's. When I started to struggle I purposely went back to my higher speeds and bowled 142 and 147. I did this after nothing else worked. I used my Conspiracy on about 95% of my shots last night. Tried the BWG a few shots but it wouldn't come back to the pocket (this was at the start of the night when my speeds were down). I even tried the Rhino a couple of time but it went straight to the 4 pin (barely clipped the 2). Didn't take the Kingpin out of the bag at all.

On to spare shooting. I use my strike ball for everything but the 7 (Rhino for that). I'm a low rev, high speed bowler so if I get near the center my ball goes almost straight. Last night I was 1/1 on 7 pins and last week 3/4 on 7's. Prior to that I was really bad but made a change last week and lessened my angle cross alley. For the4 pin I use my strike ball and move about 2 boards left of where I stand for 7's. I rarely leave 8's but if I do I move 3 boards right of my strike spot. 5 pin I move 1 board right. 6 pin is 3-4 boards left. 9 pin 1-2 boards left. 10 pin 5 boards left. The right side is just as tricky for me cause of where I target. I stand with my left foot in line with the gutter and target the 6-7 board at the arrows. This is mentally hard to do and I miss alot of those because of this. I also think I try too hard to 'guide' my spare shots.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

High Roller

Stopped and talked to the PSO tonight and ordered a Squatch pearl. Should have it ready for next week. He did say Radical was coming out with a couple new balls in October. One will be the Conspiracy Theory. He didn't have much info on it but thought that might be a good one for me to add later to replace the BWG. But he thought the Squatch pearl would be good for me as a weaker ball and he definitely thought I needed a symmetrical ball in my bag. Probably pull the Kingpin from the bag now but will see.

If I struggle again next week I'm going to try some off the wall lines. I have tried all 4 of my balls and played from the 5 board to the 10 board. I have never played anywhere other than there but will try 3rd arrow if I need to. I can say with 100% certainty that any ball I throw there will go straight. I have tried it before just to try it and my strongest ball moved about 2-3 boards and that was it but if that's what it takes. If I try going over the middle arrow out to the 5 or 10 board with any ball it usually goes straight to the 7 pin. But I'll start trying anything at this point.I think I have done everything but throw it between my legs....lol
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Seems you are willing to try anything except the one thing you need to do that will help the most which has been said multiple times. Get a plastic spare ball man! Lol

Your pso wasnt excited about it when you mentioned it probably because plastic is cheap and he'll make less money than selling you a ball with a core which you sound willing to buy. Either that or you're not telling him the same thing you're saying in this post.

It seems the fix is pretty simple, get a plastic ball and do some vigorous practice trying to constantly bang on your target. Since you claim to keep missing by several boards I'd take a look at your mechanics too. Or your other choice, get yet another non plastic and continue with the same problems.

Sorry to be blunt my friend but remember that nobody here makes a penny off of giving advice. It seems quite unanimous what you're next step should be. You're pso on the other hand will and continue to sell you as many balls as you're willing to buy. How often at your boat repair shop has the guy tried to talk you out of buying something you wanted?

It's your money, spend it as you wish but if another new core ball don't work then don't be shocked. By the way, you do not suck, you are just trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

High Roller

lol. no problems. and isn't doing the same thing over and over again the definition of insanity? wouldn't be the first time i was accused of that

but yeah. our PSO doesn't seem that motivated by $$$. he has a good paying full time job and i think he just does this so he gets his stuff at discount. he even jokingly said to me the other night that i need a new ball cause its the reason i'm bowling bad. then gave me that sarcastic grin. he has never pushed a new ball on me. i have mentioned a new ball several times and his response is 'you know where i am when you are ready'. but i haven't had any 'serious' talks with him about it. he bowls the same nights i do so i only get to talk to him for a few minutes before we start. but what he said about plastic is that it's a different feel and will take some practice for me to get used to and since my Rhino goes pretty straight already he didn't think i would see a huge gain from it at least not right away. he did say that in most cases he agrees the plastic is better. but i think my next ball will be a plastic one after this Squatch. just wondering if my balls are just used up. they both have at least 100 games on them and neither are behaving the way they used to. just trying to eliminate that variable and a few have said that i do need a symmetrical ball.

but yeah, i think my biggest issue right now is mechanics. something changed since a month ago. i finished summer league at 188 and the last 6 weeks of it i averaged 196 (215.75, 200.50, 180.00, 218.25, 178.50, and 184.25). the very next week in the fall league i have had 171.33, 164.33, and 159.33. so something definitely changed
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast