Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Really need to work on my spares

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default Really need to work on my spares

So looking at my results since July 1st. My average is 194.13 over 31 games with a 45% strike %. Not bad. My spare % is only 65% with only 69% single pin %. My stats show if I had made all of my makeable spares (69%) my average would have been 203.68. Oddly my multiple pin % is higher than my single pin at 71%.
    It isn't a matter of not knowing how but pretty sure it's more a mental thing. Seems when I am bowling good and striking alot I miss my spares but when I'm not striking I cover my spares. Thinking my multi pin spares are because I put a little more thought into them where the single pins I just go without thinking.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I notice that there is no plastic spare ball listed in your arsenal. 99% of the top bowlers in the world use plastic for single pin spares and it's not because it makes them harder! LOL

Chats: 256

You should put the same thought into single pin spares as you do with multi. Seems like an easy fix and one you came up with yourself.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    You should put the same thought into single pin spares as you do with multi. Seems like an easy fix and one you came up with yourself.
    Often the lack of thought that goes into shooting single pin spares is a direct result of thinking being over-shadowed by the emotion (anger) of having left the single pin in the first place.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Often the lack of thought that goes into shooting single pin spares is a direct result of thinking being over-shadowed by the emotion (anger) of having left the single pin in the first place.
    And that's what I was thinking before. Wondering if the frustration of 'expecting' a strike is affecting my spares. Either way I need to fix it.

Rob, I have never used a plastic ball for spares. Maybe I should try one but I use my strike ball for everything except the 7 pin. And even sometimes do use my strike ball. I had been using the Rhino for 7's but if I miss left it slides right into the gutter where my BWG will hold that gutter and stay on the lane. The Rhino is at 3000 polished with Motiv polish on the spinner but had also thought about buying a plastic ball and adding a little surface to the Rhino to be able to use it as a strike ball in drier conditions. But even with a plastic ball I would probably still use my strike ball for all other pins besides the 7. But I would be willing to try it.

Oh, and my PSO doesn't carry Storm. I wouldn't be opposed to a Storm. Not sure if he can order one or not. He is a Brunswick staffer so carries the Brunswick line. Has Brunswick, Radical, Motiv. and DV8 on the shelf. I don't even know of any other pro shops around here.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Even if you just use a plastic ball for seven pins, four pins, and four-sevens, it will help you greatly. Your PSO can order anything that you tell him to order. Just because he chooses to display only Brunswick family balls, does not mean that they are the only balls that he can order. Note that I said "chooses" to display. A PSO who is a staffer is not obligated to display only one family of brands... he just makes more money when he sells his line.

High Roller

Even if you just use a plastic ball for seven pins, four pins, and four-sevens, it will help you greatly. Your PSO can order anything that you tell him to order. Just because he chooses to display only Brunswick family balls, does not mean that they are the only balls that he can order. Note that I said "chooses" to display. A PSO who is a staffer is not obligated to display only one family of brands... he just makes more money when he sells his line.
    Wasn't sure how that worked. Thought maybe he was restricted to that brand. I think he did say one time that he could order whatever I wanted though. Might try a plastic ball next and see how that goes.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Cranker

Yes, that is something I've been trying to work on. When I miss a 10 pin, (right handed) it's usually after what I thought was a great shot. I need to start taking my time and focus better.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Wasn't sure how that worked. Thought maybe he was restricted to that brand. I think he did say one time that he could order whatever I wanted though. Might try a plastic ball next and see how that goes.
    Throwing plastic is about committing to it and practicing. I know plenty of bowlers who don't throw plastic because they said they weren't good with them and gave up. Plastic for spares in the long run will make you a better bowler especially if you start bowling on tougher sport conditions or even if the lanes are trash because the oil machine is off.

A spare ball is the only way to go. I use my spare ball (not plastic but one that has a LOT of games on it so it doesn't hook any more) for everything other than the 1, 2 or 5 pins. Every thing else is a little more speed and straight. And another benefit of using a spare ball is you're cutting the number of times your more expensive strike ball goes down the lane and collects oil by almost 50%. That nearly doubles the life of the ball.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast