Thread: Follow through issues

Chats: 0

Default Follow through issues

I've been bowling a ton lately and aside from my old bones creaking I'm doing quite well. I got some professional coaching for the first time.

He says my approach is perfect, knee bend is great and my release is excellent. My one issue is that he says I don't follow through the same way 3 times in a row. He says I need to used the length of my long monkey arms to my advantage and I'm not.

The times I do he says is beautiful, accurate and my ball rolls strong and drives through. The times I don't, my speed is slow, I generally miss target and don't strike.

He says if I can get consistent with my follow through I could dominate this house. This is why I can shoot 250's then turn around and shoot 160 the next. I know if no other way to fix this besides practice. I'm taking suggestions

A good way to take advantage of your long arms is to imagine a horizontal bar (like a pole-vault bar) about three feet high, and three feet past the foul line. Try to keep your follow-through going under the bar to get maximum extension toward the pins.

So trying to reach out towards the pins other words? "Under the bar" is kinda throwing me off in the visualization of this analogy.

It's making me think of trying to stop my arm rather than let it swing freely letting momentum carry it where it wants to go.

More specifically, there are times I tend to do a minor chicken wing of you will. I don't do it all the time but that said I don't do anything all the time on my follow through hence the problem.

Would a one step drill be a good way to combat this issue?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    So trying to reach out towards the pins other words? "Under the bar" is kinda throwing me off in the visualization of this analogy.

It's making me think of trying to stop my arm rather than let it swing freely letting momentum carry it where it wants to go.

More specifically, there are times I tend to do a minor chicken wing of you will. I don't do it all the time but that said I don't do anything all the time on my follow through hence the problem.

One step or no step drills are great ways to isolate the swing.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post

It wouldn't hurt, but just think of it in terms of letting that armswing go out, rather than up.

Man, decades of doing it wrong. I'm curious to see how quick I can fix it

Don't feel bad... you have a lot of company!

Lmao

A couple practice sessions working on this I think I have it licked. Coach said I'm much better, out out the last 7 game session I only goofed 2 or 3 times. When I did I felt the difference and seen the difference. I knew immediately when I did it wrong.

It was all in keeping the elbow locked and using the full extension of my monkey arms then starting behind it. I could feel it when it left my fingers and see the difference in the ball reaction and pin reaction. I don't extend the pins don't fly. I do and I have much bigger margin for error, light pocket hits still end in X's.