Thread: Solved my pocket 7 problem with an easy move........

Chats: 0

Default Solved my pocket 7 problem with an easy move........

I am a lefty so sometimes I leave pocket 7s. I found out when that starts to happen I must be hitting a little too light in the pocket. So what I tried was to make a move of two boards left. The ball I am using for my strike ball is a urethane Blue Hammer of 14#. My target area is anywhere from the four board to the eight board. I start out with the arch of my slide foot on board 26. When the pocket 7s start coming I move to board 24. Sometimes as the game goes on I move to board 23. The Blue Hammer has a 400 grit surface dull. This works the same for my Columbia yellow dot 400 grit surface dull which is 15#. So what it boils down to is this it works for me and my release. You can try this if you never have and you right handed folks are leaving pocket 10s. All of our releases are different so it depends on that and what kind of ball and surface you are using.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Also crucial to watch your ball through the pins and where it exits the deck. It's also dependent on if you're leaving a solid ringing 7 or a flat 7. You have to be really careful not to confuse the ball burning up a bit with coming in too light, otherwise your problems with the corner pins just amplify.

In those cases where I need a little more drive, I personally elect to move back on the approach a couple inches which gives the ball just enough time to finish (and should come off the deck between 8/9 pin, over the 9 spot only is danger). But - it's crucial to stay up on the lanes because that line can and will change quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    Also crucial to watch your ball through the pins and where it exits the deck. It's also dependent on if you're leaving a solid ringing 7 or a flat 7. You have to be really careful not to confuse the ball burning up a bit with coming in too light, otherwise your problems with the corner pins just amplify.

In those cases where I need a little more drive, I personally elect to move back on the approach a couple inches which gives the ball just enough time to finish (and should come off the deck between 8/9 pin, over the 9 spot only is danger). But - it's crucial to stay up on the lanes because that line can and will change quickly.
    The ball I use for my strike ball is the urethane Blue Hammer with a 400 grit dull surface. So I'm thinking that the Hammer is not burning up before it gets to the pins. Our house pattern is 43' long and it is oiled pretty good. My other ball I use for a strike ball is my Columbia yellow dot bleeder ball with a 400 grit dull surface that I bought in 1978. It was my first fingertip ball when my wife and I joined a mixed league with our friends. After all of these years it works great for it's age. That was when the soft plastic balls were replacing the old rubber bowling balls. Mark Roth was probably using these when he was bowling in the 70s. Mark was one of the aggressive delivery guys. I liked watching games with him when bowling was on free TV on Saturday afternoon I think. When he bowled Pete Weber those were good games to watch.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

High Roller

I got the chance to bowl with Mark a few times back about 17 years ago. He was running our local center where I bowled and ran the youth team. Really nice guy and fun to watch.

But yeah, for me leaving 7's (lefty also) is usually either my ball burning up or getting too much angle at the pins.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!