Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got my new ball!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Rob can answer this better than me but I think 11lb and under don't have the same core as the 'heavier' balls so they won't actually be the same with the same type of movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    I did not know that, thank you for sharing that info. I would ask Rob, but I'm pretty sure he'll tell me to get a coach and ask him, haha. ;-)
    Just so you know, Yes typically most "Hi Tech" balls when they hit #12 the companies switch to what they refer to as a generic core (a light bulb, pancake etc.). Most of the time it has to do with the densities of the materials used in the hi tech core vs the ones they have to use to get the lighter weight. .

For the most part it's not going to make a big difference in the balls performance at those lighter weights. Especially if your just starting out.

There are a few companies that balls that have a high tech core in the lighter weights in some lines, but you have to really research to find just which ones.

The more important thing is that the balls use the same coverstock as the higher weight (Which they all do, at least I've never heard of one that used a different one). Because Coverstock is where the rubber meets the road.

As for conventional vs fingertip, Go with fingertip.

In the old days you started off learning to bowl with a conventional grip, it gave you maximum control blah blah blah. Then once you mastered that you went to fingertip for "POWER" and you had to start learning to bowl all over again (Of course it went a little faster, but still....).

A properly fitted fingertip ball will feel light in your hand and you won't have any trouble holding onto to it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Just so you know, Yes typically most "Hi Tech" balls when they hit #12 the companies switch to what they refer to as a generic core (a light bulb, pancake etc.). Most of the time it has to do with the densities of the materials used in the hi tech core vs the ones they have to use to get the lighter weight. .

For the most part it's not going to make a big difference in the balls performance at those lighter weights. Especially if your just starting out.

There are a few companies that balls that have a high tech core in the lighter weights in some lines, but you have to really research to find just which ones.

The more important thing is that the balls use the same coverstock as the higher weight (Which they all do, at least I've never heard of one that used a different one). Because Coverstock is where the rubber meets the road.

As for conventional vs fingertip, Go with fingertip.

In the old days you started off learning to bowl with a conventional grip, it gave you maximum control blah blah blah. Then once you mastered that you went to fingertip for "POWER" and you had to start learning to bowl all over again (Of course it went a little faster, but still....).

A properly fitted fingertip ball will feel light in your hand and you won't have any trouble holding onto to it.
    Thank you very much. That answers a lot of my questions, and is a lot of help to me.

And I can't say for sure but 12lb might be a little too light for you. I could be completely wrong but I would think you would be ok a little heavier
    Why do you think so? And how can I tell? 11 pounds just feels right to me, and 12 seems to be pushing it, but I can be wrong. I heard from two bowlers that I want a ball that is 10% of my body weight, but this does seem logical to me, considering how many people I've seen who should be using 25-30 pound balls following that rule. Is it actually accurate? If so, I am bowling about what I should be.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Not real sure. See what others similar to you are using. Just seems pretty light to me but I'm just guessing here. I'm sure someone here can correct me if I'm wrong. My wife uses a 6lb ball when she goes and would probably use a 2lb if they had one...lol

Maybe not starting out with your first new ball but thinking after you get a little experience.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Not real sure. See what others similar to you are using. Just seems pretty light to me but I'm just guessing here. I'm sure someone here can correct me if I'm wrong. My wife uses a 6lb ball when she goes and would probably use a 2lb if they had one...lol

Maybe not starting out with your first new ball but thinking after you get a little experience.
    Okay, I will try looking into it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    Thank you for the advice, encouraging words, and as always, the stories that come with. You really should write a book full of your bowling stories, no joke.
    My "stories" can already be found online just in different posts all over the place, so the writing part is already done. If you'd like to cut and paste them all together and put them in book form you are more than welcome to do so. Lol when you're done send me a copy and I'll be happy to sign it for you. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    My "stories" can already be found online just in different posts all over the place, so the writing part is already done. If you'd like to cut and paste them all together and put them in book form you are more than welcome to do so. Lol when you're done send me a copy and I'll be happy to sign it for you. =)
    So long as I am listed as a co-author, I get compensated for my time, and you go through the work of actually publishing it (I hear it's free on Amazon), then I would be more than happy to do that for you, haha.

Wait a minute here.... It's your idea not mine! I told you what I'd do, non-negotiable lol I'm content doing what I've been doing and you can just be a fan =)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Wait a minute here.... It's your idea not mine! I told you what I'd do, non-negotiable lol I'm content doing what I've been doing and you can just be a fan =)
    I just know a good book idea when I see it. I wouldn't be a good book reviewer if I didn't.

Haha, you flatter yourself often?

All I'm doing is posting on a forum lol I'm glad you enjoy my posts. =)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12