Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my new ball!

Default Got my new ball!

It came, and I think it looks great. They don't make it in 11 pounds (my size), so I got it in 12 pounds 2 ounces, the lightest 12 pound ball they had. I want to take it to get drilled Sunday (tomorrow). I want to get fingertips, but I never had a ball with fingertip drilling before. I don't know how it is supposed to fit or feel. Any tips?

Also, stupid question that I'm almost ashamed to ask: since the ball is heavier than I'm used to, are fingertips a bad idea because it raises the risk of me dropping it early or on the backswing? Please don't laugh, I have only ever done that once, haha.

At the risk of repeating myself, FIND A COACH! At your level, how you begin makes all the difference. You have your entire life ahead of you to enjoy this great sport. Give yourself a chance to get the most out of it.

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    It came, and I think it looks great. They don't make it in 11 pounds (my size), so I got it in 12 pounds 2 ounces, the lightest 12 pound ball they had. I want to take it to get drilled Sunday (tomorrow). I want to get fingertips, but I never had a ball with fingertip drilling before. I don't know how it is supposed to fit or feel. Any tips?

Also, stupid question that I'm almost ashamed to ask: since the ball is heavier than I'm used to, are fingertips a bad idea because it raises the risk of me dropping it early or on the backswing? Please don't laugh, I have only ever done that once, haha.
    Daisy, you will be fine with the 12 lb fingertip. A fingertip drilling actually lets the ball rest in your hand better and will actually feel lighter, provided it fits well. A good proshop operator will be able to answer any questions you have about the different drillings. And so what if you drop it a few times...you will learn from that as well.

Besides, we have all dropped the ball behind us at one time or another.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Rob can answer this better than me but I think 11lb and under don't have the same core as the 'heavier' balls so they won't actually be the same with the same type of movement.

But yeah, a good pro shop can set you up and I don't think you will have any issues with it. Good luck with it and keep us updated.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Fingertip doesn't make the ball any more difficult to hold. You would think it does but it doesn't. Physics and gravity are your friend. Your just as likely to drop a conventional drilled ball. Throw a few games with it and get used to the grip and it will be old hat in by the time you finish the session. Throwing it properly is the more difficult part.

For what it's worth, my wife the a 15# fingertip with no problems. If anything the first time you throw it you're going to launch it past the arrows because you'll be so afraid to drop it that you'll end up holding on to it too long.

I went from 12# conventional to 16# fingertip when I was 13. The first 4 times I threw it the ball went straight up in the air over my head and slammed down on the approach. I had to dive out of the way so not too get konked. So it took me 5 attempts before my new ball touched the actual lane. I felt and looked like a complete idiot but once I actually put it in front of me and actually let go of it I was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    At the risk of repeating myself, FIND A COACH! At your level, how you begin makes all the difference. You have your entire life ahead of you to enjoy this great sport. Give yourself a chance to get the most out of it.
    Thanks again for the advice, but at this time I cannot do that. When things change, I will consider it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Daisy, you will be fine with the 12 lb fingertip. A fingertip drilling actually lets the ball rest in your hand better and will actually feel lighter, provided it fits well. A good proshop operator will be able to answer any questions you have about the different drillings. And so what if you drop it a few times...you will learn from that as well.

Besides, we have all dropped the ball behind us at one time or another.
    Thanks. I'm likely worried about nothing, but you guys have done this a lot longer and know a lot more than me, so I thought I should ask. I don't want to have to get the ball redrilled because of my stupidity on the subject, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Rob can answer this better than me but I think 11lb and under don't have the same core as the 'heavier' balls so they won't actually be the same with the same type of movement.

But yeah, a good pro shop can set you up and I don't think you will have any issues with it. Good luck with it and keep us updated.
    I did not know that, thank you for sharing that info. I would ask Rob, but I'm pretty sure he'll tell me to get a coach and ask him, haha. ;-)

Thank you, I will keep you updated. My current update is that I did not get it drilled today because the pro shop guy wasn't in, but I still plan on following through with getting fingertips when I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Fingertip doesn't make the ball any more difficult to hold. You would think it does but it doesn't. Physics and gravity are your friend. Your just as likely to drop a conventional drilled ball. Throw a few games with it and get used to the grip and it will be old hat in by the time you finish the session. Throwing it properly is the more difficult part.

For what it's worth, my wife the a 15# fingertip with no problems. If anything the first time you throw it you're going to launch it past the arrows because you'll be so afraid to drop it that you'll end up holding on to it too long.

I went from 12# conventional to 16# fingertip when I was 13. The first 4 times I threw it the ball went straight up in the air over my head and slammed down on the approach. I had to dive out of the way so not too get konked. So it took me 5 attempts before my new ball touched the actual lane. I felt and looked like a complete idiot but once I actually put it in front of me and actually let go of it I was fine.
    Thank you for the advice, encouraging words, and as always, the stories that come with. You really should write a book full of your bowling stories, no joke.

High Roller

And I can't say for sure but 12lb might be a little too light for you. I could be completely wrong but I would think you would be ok a little heavier
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast