Thread: Disband League

Chats: 55

Default Disband League

Our evening league is dwindling and come Monday, may be too small for the house to retain.

Over the last two weeks, teams have left to go to a larger league, thus creating the situation for the remaining teams to be forced to disband.

In this case, what would be the fair way to distribute the prize fund?

Would the previous bowlers that quit and created the situation deserve to receive some, even though some gave a two week notice, some did not.

Would appreciate suggestions and ideas. Thanks!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Our evening league is dwindling and come Monday, may be too small for the house to retain.

Over the last two weeks, teams have left to go to a larger league, thus creating the situation for the remaining teams to be forced to disband.

Would the previous bowlers that quit and created the situation deserve to receive some, even though some gave a two week notice, some did not.

You basically have three options on distribution of the prize money to those that are eligible.

1- Divide the prize money up equally between the eligable teams.

2- Just refund the amount of prize fund money each player has paid in as of the last night of bowling. If there is any money left over, divide that equally among the teams/players.

3- Have a payout based on the standings as of the last night of bowling. Using a adjusted prize list based on the current amount in the prizefund.

As for which to do, I suggest having league meeting of those left and a vote.

As for who is eligible to receive money, that would be. The teams/players still there and the ones that quit properly and gave two weeks notice would receive (pro-rated) money.

The ones that just quit without notice, forfeit all franchise, prize and any other money they would have got. See usbc rule 114
    Last edited by bowl1820; 09-20-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post

One of my leagues had the same situation last year. While the center would not have minded us hanging on for the season, we felt that it would be too monotonous bowling the same team every three weeks so we folded. Being more of a social league rather than a money league, there wasn't a whole lot of money to be returned to the bowlers. Instead of giving everyone the $20 or so that they had paid in, we voted to donate all of it to the local youth league for scholarships.
    John

Chats: 0

When you quit the league, you forfeit all funds. You are no longer a part of the league. Distribute the money among the remaining teams based on current standings or just distribute it equally among the remaining teams. But those that quit forfeited their funds.

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Instead of giving everyone the $20 or so that they had paid in, we voted to donate all of it to the local youth league for scholarships.
    A very good option.

One league that I know of worked with a different local bowling center and they moved the entire league to a new house... 20-ish teams of 5 players, and about 5 miles away. They did quite a bit of coordination for same night, same time, same fees, and nearly same league rules. Pretty sure they gave 2 or 3 weeks notice. The new house had a smaller league on the same night/time and rumor is they are now talking of combining the two leagues, but the smaller one is a Vegas roll off and the larger league is not.

I myself don't like the house that they moved from as that house doesn't provide much in the way of lane oil, very dry lane conditions. I didn't bowl that league that moved, but I do bowl with some of the people who did the move.

I have also recently experienced a very small 6 team league move houses and combine with our existing league mid season. We only had to work out league standings, some ruffled feathers but it worked out.
    Recently retired and returning to bowing after a 12 year break
    Slower ball speed with dominate revs, prefer strait at the pocket but deep is fine too
    In my bag... Storm Phase 3, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Storm IQ Tour Emerald, 900 Global White Hot Badger, Motiv Venom Recoil, and Motiv Supra Enzo

Well, update...the league survived.

The one team that gave notice ended up not being able to move to the night they intended. Apparently, hadn't checked that out prior to submitting notice. So with 5 teams (less one person) we can stay at the house and hopefully find a 6th team and 1 member to round out the league. It will be a very intimate league, and I would assume we won't survive next season, but for now, we bowl each other every 5 weeks, and actually the prize fund should be fairly healthy since it's not split but 5 or 6 ways for team positions.

Thanks for all the great comments, advice, and conversations this forum provides.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

I experienced this with a Sunday night league years ago, one piece of advice is to start scoping out other leagues that you may want to transition to (if your league starts this process early they may be able to find something that has room for all of the teams). I believe I remember you bowling at Via Linda and I know the offerings are pretty slim in Scottsdale for bowling alleys that offer good leagues (4 alleys if you include North Scottsdale and Skylanes) - also if I remember correctly Bowlero North Scottsdale is the bowling alley that installed 54 foot lanes.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    I experienced this with a Sunday night league years ago, one piece of advice is to start scoping out other leagues that you may want to transition to (if your league starts this process early they may be able to find something that has room for all of the teams). I believe I remember you bowling at Via Linda and I know the offerings are pretty slim in Scottsdale for bowling alleys that offer good leagues (4 alleys if you include North Scottsdale and Skylanes) - also if I remember correctly Bowlero North Scottsdale is the bowling alley that installed 54 foot lanes.
    Yes the North Scottsdale is short lanes and only have "social" leagues - show up if you want to type thing and put the teams together that night and bowl. Not for me. And Skylanes....$40-$60 for two hours is a bit pricey for me. Don't think they do leagues.

Yes, Via Linda doesn't do much for league bowlers, but Bowlero is pretty much that way all over. Talking with the GM over at Glendale, he indicates the new business model will be catering to the leagues Monday thru Thursday leaving the Friday, Saturday, and Sundays open for open bowling, parties, and the money making areas.

I see the league going by the way-side (for more than one reason) but there is room in the Wednesday and Thursday leagues for us to join. So I won't worry about it. And it eliminates me as Secretary, which wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.
    Last edited by classygranny; 10-04-2019 at 10:48 AM.