Amanda Hollenbaugh of Tucson, Ariz., and Kyle Mauerman of Tremont, Ill., have been selected as the USBC Youth Ambassadors of the Year.

The award recognizes USBC Youth bowlers for exemplary contributions in the sport of bowling, academic accomplishments and community involvement. Awarded annually to one male and one female bowler, each winner will receive a $1,500 scholarship and be presented the award at the USBC Convention in Reno this spring.

Mauerman, 21, has been involved with the Illinois State Youth Leaders for eight years and is serving his third two-year term as treasurer. He also is a youth representative to the Illinois State USBC Youth Board of Directors.

"I have been working hard in our youth organization here in Illinois and hope to bring my experience and knowledge to the national level," said Mauerman, a 2008 USBC Collegiate Academic All-American at Robert Morris College (Ill.). "I am still at a loss of words for receiving this award; being honored with a national award is something I never imagined would happen for me."

Shawn Wochner, the 1997 recipient of the award and now the assistant coach at Robert Morris College, called Mauerman "the perfect candidate" for the award and added that "very few people can give this much both on and off the lanes. It takes a very special person to give back the way Kyle has."

Hollenbaugh, 18, helped rescue her bowling league that had gone from fun to mundane and now, besides volunteering to coach kids in the after-school bowling program, she has taken an active role in her Saturday Junior League. She edits and publishes a monthly newsletter with the help of three reporters who are junior league bowlers, and has suggested and helped institute committees for different projects.

"When I got the call that I had been chosen, I was amazed and excited," Hollenbaugh said. "I didn't really think I would be chosen but I guess drive, determination, enthusiasm, smiles, and hard work pays off and gets recognized."

Hollenbaugh, a high school senior who carries a 3.65 grade-point average, also is involved with community projects despite working two part-time jobs.

"She has never been absent to a school-wide community service day and is always eager to work whenever a need arises," said Angela Urbon-Bonine, a teacher who has known Hollenbaugh for seven years. "She was a critical person in helping to build a much-needed wall at a local veteran's home and continues to regularly serve breakfast at a soup kitchen early on Monday mornings when most high school students are still asleep."

Besides being selected for the award, one of the two USBC Youth Ambassadors of the Year may be selected as a member of the USBC Youth Committee and serve for a three-year period. In addition, the quality of the selected candidate's service on the Youth Committee could earn this person additional scholarship funds.

To learn more about USBC awards and this year's USBC Convention, visit bowl.com.