Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picked up a split and almost 2nd (4-6-7-10)

Remember that where you hit at the arrows is relatively insignificant. If you move at the arrows, but keep throwing to the same spot down the lane, you are going to keep getting the same result. With bowlers hitting different spots at the arrows, but all throwing to eight board down the lane, it's not the arrows that are burning up, it's the end of the pattern.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Remember that where you hit at the arrows is relatively insignificant. If you move at the arrows, but keep throwing to the same spot down the lane, you are going to keep getting the same result. With bowlers hitting different spots at the arrows, but all throwing to eight board down the lane, it's not the arrows that are burning up, it's the end of the pattern.
    Good point. Hadn't thought of it that way. Last week we have 4 lefties on our pair and the week before had 5. I was the only one out at the 6 board but you are right, we may all have been hitting the same board at the breakpoint. For me it's hard to see the breakpoint cause my ball goes straight until it turns in so hard to tell where it actually makes that turn. To that point, I went last Friday and practiced spares then a game practicing my strike ball. I moved forward on the approach a little and put my slide foot slightly further forward to open my hip and shoulders. I had always in my career stood square at the line. I was able to slow my speed a little and move my feel about 2-3 boards right to get more arc. I was hitting the 10 board at the arrows and getting to about the 7 board at the breakpoint. I did this the first 2 games the other night (168 and 127). The last game I went back to my old approach. I do like the newer style I used but need work on it to get more consistent. That might have been my issue.

On a positive note I was 4/5 on 7 pins and also nailed the 7 on my 7-10 and on my 4-6-7-10. Also covered a 4-7. Probably my best corner pin shooting in a long time. And I usually only leave 2-3 7's a night so definitely left more than usual.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Daisy....you love the straight plastic ball. How's it coming with the reactive ball you got recently? If you posted anything I might have missed it. Update us please.
    I haven't had it drilled yet. I haven't even bowled much lately, frankly. Life keeps getting in the way. You know how it goes. I really wish there were more pro shops in my area, with better hours. Every time I find myself near the other one, it isn't open.

Thanks for asking, though, and I will be sure to let you know when I finally get it drilled.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    2 weeks in a row 2 of my teammates put their ball right between the 3-10 without touching either. Pretty hard to do that...lol. I actually made my last 2 2-7's (I'm a lefty) but I had only been about 1/5 this year before that.
    I've made both shots, but neither consistently. Still learning, haha. I'm a pretty slow learner, it seems.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Boatman, to extend on Rob's point about the same breakpoint with different lines: and in advance this is simplified to not factor in many outside sources (essentially the ball is going to take a straight path from the laydown point to the breakpoint before making it's move), just to help with the concept.

Let's assume we want a breakpoint of 5 at 45 feet, here are a group of lines that all get to that point the same (all moves are examples of lefty):

If we do not project the ball left: 5 at laydown point, 5 at arrows, 5 at 45 feet.
    If I make a 3 and 2 move right: 8 at laydown point, 7 at arrows, 5 at 45 feet.
    If I make a 6 and 4 move right: 11 at laydown point, 9 at arrows, 5 at 45 feet.
    If I make a 9 and 6 move right: 14 at laydown point, 11 at arrows, 5 at 45 feet.

Moves that would change the breakpoint:
    If I make a 1 and 1 move right: 6 laydown, 6 arrows, 6 @ 45 feet
    If I make a 2 and 1 move right: 7 laydown, 6 arrows, 4 @ 45 feet
    If I make a 1 and 0 move right: 6 laydown, 5 arrows, 3 @ 45 feet

Granted many things change, including the breakpoint distance...but just something to think about when making big moves and where the ball ends up. Because of how long and thin a lane is the distance of the breakpoint doesn't drastically change the laydown point and arrows - i.e. If I wanted that breakpoint of 5 the laydown point would be 8 and at the arrows would be 7 for any breakpoint distance between 38 feet and 49 feet (with a tolerance of +/- 0.5 boards, in my model I rounded to the nearest board, if I have to be more precise I'm playing the wrong part of the lane with the wrong equipment).
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12