Thread: Can a bowling ball get these?

Chats: 0

Default Can a bowling ball get these?

I was having my Columbia yellow dot bleeder ball surfaced. I showed it to the pro shop guy in our house. I said I wanted the scratches and old track marks removed. He looked at the ball and asked me if I knew what these were. After saying no he said that those were burn marks on the ball. I asked what causes those, he said they are from bowling on dry short patterns. Personally I have never heard of something like that. I was wondering if anyone here heard of that. Well anyway he did a great job on my yellow dot. The ball looks like a new ball. He finished with 4000 grit and polish. It looks like a deep cheery red. Depending on the light it can look black also. It looks great though for a ball I bought in 1978. My ball is older then a lot of you folks here. It's nice to have it back in service.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I was having my Columbia yellow dot bleeder ball surfaced. I showed it to the pro shop guy in our house. I said I wanted the scratches and old track marks removed. He looked at the ball and asked me if I knew what these were. After saying no he said that those were burn marks on the ball. I asked what causes those, he said they are from bowling on dry short patterns. Personally I have never heard of something like that. I was wondering if anyone here heard of that.
    I've heard of (and seen) burn marks before, But they were not caused by bowling on dry lanes. To get a actual "Burn" mark, you'd have to have enough friction in one spot on the ball to generate heat. A ball rolling down the lane isn't going to have that happen it's not going to be on one spot that long.

The "burn" marks I've seen happen at some point in the ball return system.

Example the ball gets stuck back in the pit and is not rolling, the belts continue to move though and rub against the ball. This generates heat and leaves a mark.

A lot of times this is just rubber and grime that's been heated and ground into the surface so is harder to remove, plus there could be a wore spot there also.

Now a ball used on a dry lane a lot might show more wear in the track, but that's not a burn mark.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-08-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    I've heard of (and seen) burn marks before, But they were not caused by bowling on dry lanes. To get a actual "Burn" mark, you'd have to have enough friction in one spot on the ball to generate heat. A ball rolling down the lane isn't going to have that happen it's not going to be on one spot that long.

The "burn" marks I've seen happen at some point in the ball return system.

Example the ball gets stuck back in the pit and is not rolling, the belts continue to move though and rub against the ball. This generates heat and leaves a mark.

A lot of times this is just rubber and grime that's been heated and ground into the surface so is harder to remove, plus there could be a wore spot there also.

Now a ball used on a dry lane a lot might show more wear in the track, but that's not a burn mark.
    That sounds more plausible. Maybe I misunderstood what the pro shop guy told me. I know the equipment in the house where I used this ball when I bought it was putting big nicks in the bowlers balls. My friend that was on my league team had some good nicks put on his ball. He complained to the owners about it. I know they had a short pattern there that was either 36 or 38 feet and dry for the most part. When I would practice there the alleys were so dry that when I threw my ball from the right gutter to the left gutter I was surprised that my ball didn't make a U turn and come back to me. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-08-2019 at 11:09 PM. Reason: correct spelling in quote
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.