Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New high series tonight!!! (my new thread to highlight the 'new' me....lol)

Before you arbitrarily dismiss weather changes, consider that the weather, both temperature and humidity, can have a significant effect on lane conditions. While bowling centers are air conditioned (both heated and cooled), the area under the lanes and behind the pinsetters are not. The oil, as well as the oil machine, is often stored in a non-temperature controlled area. As your changes have occurred over a three week period, and lots of bowlers have been affected, I'm pretty sure that the weather change has something to do with it.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Before you arbitrarily dismiss weather changes, consider that the weather, both temperature and humidity, can have a significant effect on lane conditions. While bowling centers are air conditioned (both heated and cooled), the area under the lanes and behind the pinsetters are not. The oil, as well as the oil machine, is often stored in a non-temperature controlled area. As your changes have occurred over a three week period, and lots of bowlers have been affected, I'm pretty sure that the weather change has something to do with it.
    It could be. I went from consistent 600's for 6 weeks in a row to 570's with no real reason. Just not striking like I was. How do you compensate for that? Changing lines? Balls? I did notice my Squatch and BWG have fallen off sooner than they had been. As it id now by the end of the night I'm ready for another ball down where I hadn't been before.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

High Roller

After thinking about it, seems like my ball has not been skidding the last few weeks either. Seems like it's in a roll most of the way. I have been trying to pay attention to that but it's hard to tell when trying to watch so many things but it is getting easier. I try to see where it is at the arrows, the breakpoint, where it starts to roll and where it exits the pin deck. Oh, and watch the pins too...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

High Roller

In a nutshell...started off great and went downhill from there. Seemed to be me more than the lanes or the ball. I got frustrated and by middle of game 3 I didn't even care to finish the night I was so frustrated. Game 1 went great. We won by 58 and we bowled 60 over our average. The team we bowled against averaged between between 155-187. In game 2 3 of their guys rolled 210, 226, and 244. 4 of their 5 bowlers are no thumb bowlers that just wing it and that game everything they threw struck. Most were Brooklyns. That was just frustrating and me leaving a 4-7-10 split. After that I started unraveling mentally. Game 3 I just couldn't hit the pocket. Hit light, hit high, no consistency that game. Used the Squatch all night. Ball has about 35 games on it since new and have not touched the surface. It might be possible the ball stops rolling like I'm used to so I sub-consciously change something. Not sure. Over the last 4 weeks I'm consistent. 565, 570, 570, and 568. But tonight I went 225, 184, 159. Game 1 was clean and game 2 was clean except for a 4-7-10 but game 3 was a mess.

It was just frustrating in game 2 seeing my teammates hit the pocket frame after frame and get a 9 count and the other team miss the pocket more than they hit it and get strike after strike and I know I let that get to me. I only had 2 strikes in game 2 and was still hitting the pocket pretty good there. By the end of game2 I wasn't having fun anymore. We beat our average by 20 pins and still lost by 107. I know I should only worry about myself and my team but tonight it just frustrated me. Not only the other team killing it in game 2 but me letting a good start get away from me.

Oh, and LEFTY!!!

A few months ago, I was told that the center where I bowl was forced to change the brand of oil they use as the old brand was no longer being made. They changed to a new oil after summer sweeps week. Since the change, about three months ago, I have noticed a trend in scoring. After about one and a half games, there is a pronounced change in scoring patterns. In some cases, bowlers who have been striking at will can no longer carry. In other cases, bowlers who have not been able to carry, start throwing strikes. In either case, the lanes have changed, and the pattern stays the same week after week.

I notice the same change in your scoring. After a game and three frames of striking, you left eight pins in the fourth and fifth frames of the second game. For a lefty, eight pins are usually caused by the ball either hooking too late, or reacting two hard off of the spot. After that time, your leaves show that you were getting over/under reactions with one ball going high, and the next never making it back to the pocket. This is the same thing that I've been seeing.

The only way that I've found to combat this is to make a big move in with my feet, and throw to a spot that is further out, using a ball that goes very long, but has a high differential and a strong cover material. I need to clarify that I'm not talking about a one or two board move; I'm talking about a four or five board move. While this may take out out of your comfort zone, it's definitely worth learning.

High Roller

A few months ago, I was told that the center where I bowl was forced to change the brand of oil they use as the old brand was no longer being made. They changed to a new oil after summer sweeps week. Since the change, about three months ago, I have noticed a trend in scoring. After about one and a half games, there is a pronounced change in scoring patterns. In some cases, bowlers who have been striking at will can no longer carry. In other cases, bowlers who have not been able to carry, start throwing strikes. In either case, the lanes have changed, and the pattern stays the same week after week.

I notice the same change in your scoring. After a game and three frames of striking, you left eight pins in the fourth and fifth frames of the second game. For a lefty, eight pins are usually caused by the ball either hooking too late, or reacting two hard off of the spot. After that time, your leaves show that you were getting over/under reactions with one ball going high, and the next never making it back to the pocket. This is the same thing that I've been seeing.

The only way that I've found to combat this is to make a big move in with my feet, and throw to a spot that is further out, using a ball that goes very long, but has a high differential and a strong cover material. I need to clarify that I'm not talking about a one or two board move; I'm talking about a four or five board move. While this may take out out of your comfort zone, it's definitely worth learning.
    Good info there. I had been consistent the last 3 weeks from game to game until last night. I 'assumed' it was me doing something different but couldn't figure it out. I do know a few times I hit light so tugged the next shot but doubt I did that for a whole game. First game was like a magnet to the pocket. The 2 8 pins were just a little high but that could have been the ball reading too late or harsher reaction. I know I didn't change anything purposely. Same ball, same line, speed, release, etc.

I did not make any moves the whole night. I had thought about moving in but thinking I was the problem figured I would just fix me. I know the one ball in the 3rd game I got it out a little too far and it snapped right back to the pocket for a strike so once it caught the dry it hooked hard but that was about 4 boards too far left (hit around the 3rd or 4th board at the breakpont).

Next week if I run into this again I am definitely going to move in and see what happens. One of my teammates last night has been struggling in game 2 for awhile. He is a righty, lower speed, medium rev. He has a Squatch pearl and a DV8 Nasty Rumor. He started with the Squatch then game 2 kept going back and forth then game 3 used the DV8 and moved way inside. He rolled 247, 177, 235. The move inside helped him. He moved about 5 boards. Game 2 he kept hitting high with either ball. We bowled against 4 no thumb bowlers that really rev the ball and 3 of them were righties so I'm sure that didn't help him.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I have to tell you honestly that the idea that you totally lost your look and never moved is mind boggling! Here's the deal: when you are playing the correct line, you don't have to be perfect. If you start struggling and automatically assume that it's all because of you, it's just your ego getting in your way. One of the best things that I ever wrote in BTM was that not listening to what the lanes are telling you is like not listening to your wife... both get you in a world of trouble!

High Roller

I have to tell you honestly that the idea that you totally lost your look and never moved is mind boggling! Here's the deal: when you are playing the correct line, you don't have to be perfect. If you start struggling and automatically assume that it's all because of you, it's just your ego getting in your way. One of the best things that I ever wrote in BTM was that not listening to what the lanes are telling you is like not listening to your wife... both get you in a world of trouble!
    Oh...the wife...hmmmm. Gonna have to remember that one...lol. And yes I agree about the right line and not being perfect. I have been telling my teammates that and have actually pointed out to them when they find it and miss by a board or two and still carry pocket strikes. But I didn't move because I was inconsistent (or I thought it was me being inconsistent). One ball would be light, the next high so I wasn't sure where to move to and thought I just needed to be more consistent with my release.

You know, I have learned alot on here and tell my teammates when they need to make a move but struggle to follow my own advice alot of the time. I'm always telling my one teammate to move into the oil in the 3rd game when he starts leaving corner pins (the one mentioned earlier that struggled in game 2 last night then moved in in the last game and got it back). He says he isn't comfortable there and I tell him to get comfortable there. Then I don't listen to myself when I should...lol. But I have been trying the Rhino in warmups as a strike ball cause we have had a few nights where by the end of the 3rd game my BWG is a little too much. Haven't used the Rhino in a game yet. It seems to be about 4 or 5 boards weaker than the BWG. Funny thing is the Squatch and BWG are very similar and I stand in the same spot for both but the BWG reads a little further down lane, which works much better late in the night
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

I know I have shared this on another post here, but my comment when I hear that someone doesn't move because they are not executing is as follows. I understand that you do not (typically) move off of a poorly executed shot, but when this is starting to happen repeatedly and you cannot carry my advice is to throw it bad somewhere else.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    I know I have shared this on another post here, but my comment when I hear that someone doesn't move because they are not executing is as follows. I understand that you do not (typically) move off of a poorly executed shot, but when this is starting to happen repeatedly and you cannot carry my advice is to throw it bad somewhere else.
    Good point
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast