Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High RG balls

Chats: 0

Default High RG balls

Roto Grip has a new ball coming out, the Wild Streak in their HP3 line. It is a 3000 grit solid cover with a 2.60 RG and 0.048 Diff. Under what conditions or during league on THS will a high RG ball fit?
    Current Arsenal: Storm Phaze 3, RotoGrip Hypercell Fused, Storm Soniq, Storm Timeless, Storm Punch Out

It all depends on your speed/rev rate ratio. If you are speed dominant, it will probably be useless for you. If, however, you have a slower ball speed and a decent rev rate, it could be a very good fit for you, especially if you like to stay around the track area rather than making lateral moves inward.

Pin Crusher

All of the most productive stuff I own has been around the 2.48 area. Used to think a higher RG was for me. Evidence suggests otherwise.....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

High Roller

I saw a video on youtube a few weeks back (maybe bowler x?). Anyway, whoever it was had a general rule of thumb. Take the RG and subtract the diff. So say the RG is 2.60 and the diff is .048 take 260-48=212. Then look at the coverstock. Can't remember the exact numbers they gave but pretty sure this was it. If it is a solid then subtract 6. If it is a hybrid subtract 3. If it is a pearl add 3. So if this was a pearl ball then the total would be 215. It's more a way to compare balls. So I checked all of mine and the Kingpin and Conspiracy were both around 185 (very aggressive/early reading). My BWG and Squatch were closer to 200 (further downlane). My Rhino is about 225 and barely hooks. Of course surface plays a big part but this was more about comparing one ball to another.
    For the ball it would score about a 206. I'll let those with more knowledge talk more about that ball with those specs though.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I saw a video on youtube a few weeks back (maybe bowler x?). Anyway, whoever it was had a general rule of thumb. Take the RG and subtract the diff. So say the RG is 2.60 and the diff is .048 take 260-48=212. Then look at the coverstock. Can't remember the exact numbers they gave but pretty sure this was it. If it is a solid then subtract 6. If it is a hybrid subtract 3. If it is a pearl add 3. So if this was a pearl ball then the total would be 215. It's more a way to compare balls. So I checked all of mine and the Kingpin and Conspiracy were both around 185 (very aggressive/early reading). My BWG and Squatch were closer to 200 (further downlane). My Rhino is about 225 and barely hooks. Of course surface plays a big part but this was more about comparing one ball to another.
    For the ball it would score about a 206. I'll let those with more knowledge talk more about that ball with those specs though.
    Say what?

Okay here's the video your referring too:

"How to choose what balls to drill for the next league season" BowlerX

What you have there is a (very Simplified) version of something like Bowlingball.com's Perfect Scale rating, That he's came up with.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by skfboiler View Post
    Roto Grip has a new ball coming out, the Wild Streak in their HP3 line. It is a 3000 grit solid cover with a 2.60 RG and 0.048 Diff. Under what conditions or during league on THS will a high RG ball fit?
    Very dry conditions, playing around the one arrow 'up and in', something for slower speed bowlers.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Very dry conditions, playing around the one arrow 'up and in', something for slower speed bowlers.
    If your playing the outside the saying is "Down and In", Because a ball goes down the lane not up it.

Looking at the Rotogrip site for the Wild Streak it say's "This ball will excel on medium to medium heavy conditions" so I wouldn't say it's particularly for "Very dry conditions"

According to their lane comparison chart to play a outside down and in line a stroker would have to be on heavy oil. For light oil they'd have to be playing inside more and pitching it out to about the first arrow.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Looking at the Rotogrip site for the Wild Streak it say's "This ball will excel on medium to medium heavy conditions" so I wouldn't say it's particularly for "Very dry conditions"
    I'm pretty sure that they're talking about the OOB finish. Ball companies hate to admit that their products can actually be tailored to an individual bowler's needs by customizing the surface prep. The surface can always be changed. The core specs, not so much!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    If your playing the outside the saying is "Down and In", Because a ball goes down the lane not up it.

According to their lane comparison chart to play a outside down and in line a stroker would have to be on heavy oil. For light oil they'd have to be playing inside more and pitching it out to about the first arrow.
    While “down and in” is used more often, at least it’s what I hear most often, “up and in” is also used. I tend to use the two words interchangeably. For example, I will suggest that a bowler try throwing the ball “straight up 25” to make the washout. Even in that sentence there’s another poor choice of words, “throwing”. We all know, or should know by now, that bowling balls are rolled, and that throwing them is reserved for Osku Palermo doing trick shots, and yet you will hear throw used every bit as much as roll among bowlers.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    While “down and in” is used more often, at least it’s what I hear most often, “up and in” is also used. I tend to use the two words interchangeably. For example, I will suggest that a bowler try throwing the ball “straight up 25” to make the washout. Even in that sentence there’s another poor choice of words, “throwing”. We all know, or should know by now, that bowling balls are rolled, and that throwing them is reserved for Osku Palermo doing trick shots, and yet you will hear throw used every bit as much as roll among bowlers.
    "Down and In" or "Up and IN" it's mainly a matter of the context it's used in. In this case IMO the context was wrong, but it doesn't really matter as long as the listener understands whats being talked about..

As for "throw", Throw means to propel a object usually through the air. How players release a bowling ball on to the lane qualifies as a throw.

Throw really is more accurate than "Roll", When players first release the ball onto the lane. The ball is in a skid, it's not rolling on the first part of the lane (Unless of course the player actually rolled the ball for some reason). The ball doesn't "roll" until farther down the lane.

Sorry for derailing the thread, lets get back to RG!
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-28-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast