Thread: Please HELP with new ball selection!

Exclamation Please HELP with new ball selection!

Hi all...

I am currently throwing a 16lb Ebonite Blue Wolf that is 25+ years old.
    However, due to a forearm injury that recently ended my season, I will be dropping to 14lbs in the future.

I LOVE the control of the smooth arcing motion of the Blue Wolf, but since I am completely uneducated on ball dynamics I have NO IDEA
    what newer ball I could replace it with that would have similar motion.

I would prefer something with a LOWER Rg (easier to rotate) than the Wolf, which is listed as "Medium" Rg with "High" differential.

ANY/ALL SUGGESTIONS will be appreciated!

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I'm not the ball expert here but will say that a 25 year old ball is completely different than todays equipment. I'm sure the pros here can get you close but there are huge differences today.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 221

The Blue Wolf would probably equate to today's lower mid to mid priced range equipment
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    The Blue Wolf would probably equate to today's lower mid to mid priced range equipment
    Anything specific? Can you provide even a ballpark suggestion? I need a starting point.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

This is difficult without watching you bowl, but here are some guidelines (and assumptions) -

Since the drop is due to an injury I'm assuming that we will be looking at a lower ball speed and decreased revs; this still does not answer how the two match up in your game - going to assume neutral. Also, with how the post is going assuming you are going to only carry one ball so we need something in the middle.

I would start with something that is symmetrical and polished. Since you want a smooth ball motion you would likely want a symmetrical ball and polished due to the assumption of reduced ball speed (now, the benefit of surface is if you find the ball going too long you can always knock the polish off). So essentially to go online, using bowlingball.com, you can start filtering on core, cover, etc. to narrow the search down and have an idea. With all of that being said, the ball is going to need to be drilled and you are going to go to a pro shop to have that done so you will have a resource who will be able to watch you bowl and make recommendations accordingly - before you would have to make a purchase. Asking for specific recommendations is probably not the best course of action (especially on a board with people who don't know your game - in all honesty my polished symmetrical recommendation could be going to far since I have no idea of your game and the lanes you are encountering).
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    This is difficult without watching you bowl,
    Don't know how much this helps, but here's a video of me bowling... (will post another in next post)

RECENT:

Since the drop is due to an injury I'm assuming that we will be looking at a lower ball speed and decreased revs;
    I'm not sure, yet. I'm mainly dropping weight to reduce the chances of re-injury - hoping that I can maintain same speed and revs.

Also, with how the post is going assuming you are going to only carry one ball so we need something in the middle.
    That's a good assumption. I'm just a league bowler, so I don't really need (or have the money for) an "arsenal."
    Last edited by Tomkat; 10-31-2019 at 01:10 PM.