Thread: make sense to drill an earlier hooking ball to go longer or vice-versa?

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Default make sense to drill an earlier hooking ball to go longer or vice-versa?

So just wondering and trying to understand ball physics here. So let's say a Kingpin OOB reads earlier than a Black Widow Gold. Would it make sense to drill a Kingpin to read later and the Black Widow Gold to read sooner? Would that be counter productive? Or are there logical reasons to do that. Understanding surface plays a major role too but aside from that. Just been watching alot of Mo's videos and seeing how my balls are all drilled similarly. Just wondering if I buy a new ball that I want to read earlier would it make sense to by a stronger ball and drill it to read later or buy a weaker ball and drill it to read earlier?

I guess in a nutshell if you wanted a ball that reads earlier why wouldn't you just buy that ball rather than try to accomplish it through layout?

Not planning om doing this just thinking of 'extremes' to get a better understanding.
    Arsenal "15# Radical Squatch Pearl" "15# Radical Conspiracy" "15# Brunswick Kingpin (at home on the shelf now)" "15# Hammer Black Widow Gold" "15# Brunswick Rhino Black Pearl"
    Rev Rate about 325 @ about 17.5 MPH * High Game: 267 - High Series: 657
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I guess in a nutshell if you wanted a ball that reads earlier why wouldn't you just buy that ball rather than try to accomplish it through layout?
    Duh! Ya think?

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Duh! Ya think?
    And that's why I was asking. If I bought a ball and needed a strong layout why wouldn't I have just bought a stronger ball in the first place? Which has me wondering why do they offer different layouts? Unless you need an extreme so go strong ball with strong layout?
    Arsenal "15# Radical Squatch Pearl" "15# Radical Conspiracy" "15# Brunswick Kingpin (at home on the shelf now)" "15# Hammer Black Widow Gold" "15# Brunswick Rhino Black Pearl"
    Rev Rate about 325 @ about 17.5 MPH * High Game: 267 - High Series: 657
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Typically you wouldn't want to do this, as Rob and you said it just doesn't make sense to fight the characteristics of a ball when you can compliment them. Now, I can't say that there isn't some combination that would provide a benefit, but my thought would be that you would have to drill up A LOT of equipment to find this magical combination, you would likely wind up with a lot of poorly rolling equipment, and likely the magical combination wouldn't be so spectacular that it would be worth the effort or significantly better than following the standards. With the amount of equipment that professionals and those under contract drill up, if there was some benefit you would likely have heard something about it and I personally have yet to hear about it.

In all honesty this is the problem I have seen with some ball raffles locally, someone wins one and tries to force the ball into a part of their bag that doesn't make sense (and they get a pro shop guy or gal to agree to put some funky drilling on it to try and make it happen).
    Currently in the bag: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird