Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found a hole in my arsenal

Chats: 32

Their are plenty of easy solutions if you feel you need 4 balls. A joey added to the bag takes care of it generally. Sorry to hear about the job situation that sucks we all go through it from time to time. I think the point of the comments here you don't feel like a spare ball is the problem because your missing left not the ball over hooking. Our point is more that trying to use a release that is different will degrade your accuracy and the fact your not throwing a straight line at the spare is causing you to make mental mistakes in your aim.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Part of the reason is if I buy a plastic ball I need to get rid of one. No more room in my bag.
    No you don't need to get rid of one, You just don't bring one. If your bowling the same league week after week and bring four strike balls, Most likely there's one ball you don't really need to bring all the time.

Now if you "Want" to bring every ball and have a spare, you get a "Joey Bowling Bag" it's less than $20. You slip it on your bags handle, it holds one ball.

My Rhino goes perfectly straight when I throw at the 7 but my targeting is off. A plastic ball won't fix my aiming issues.
    Your right a new ball doesn't fix physical issues with your game.

If your rolling a "perfectly" straight ball and your targeting (Accuracy) is off then there's only one fix, It's called practice. You need to go down to the lanes and shoot 7 (or 10's as the case maybe) pins, Lane conditions won't matter if your rolling a perfectly straight ball.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    If your rolling a "perfectly" straight ball and your targeting (Accuracy) is off then there's only one fix, It's called practice. You need to go down to the lanes and shoot 7 (or 10's as the case maybe) pins, Lane conditions won't matter if your rolling a perfectly straight ball.
    Gotta disagree here. If your aiming accuracy is off, there's only one fix; it's called timing. Find a qualified coach and get your timing fixed. The most common timing problem is called "late timing trying to be early." It happens when the bowler gets to the line in front of the bowling ball and tries to compensate by pulling the bowling shoulder forward to try to compensate. For a lefty, this means that when the should doesn't quite get the ball to where it should be, the miss will be to the left, and when the shoulder over compensates and gets the ball there too early, the miss will be to the right.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Find a qualified coach
    Yes getting a coach is the best course of action if you truly want to improve Boatman. A good coach helps determines what's wrong and guides you on how to fix the problem. Now once the coach determines that problem and he tells you how to fix it, You'll still have to go to the lanes and practice that. Remember good practice is what helps you develop good muscle memory and habits for what your trying to do when the lights come on.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I'm thinking my form/timing is pretty good when I'm going more or less straight but when trying to get my ball out to the left I'm getting out of whack. Found out a couple weeks ago there is a girl that works with my wife that is a certified coach. It's not through USBC though. Forget who it is but I mentioned it on here a couple of weeks ago. Thought about seeing if she might want to work with me. Her mother bowls with us Tuesday nights but in the womens league at the other end of our center.

This would all have to wait until the job thing is sorted out. I work for a company that does federal contracting and my company lost the contract. I have signed an offer letter from the new company but no dates are set and there may be a gap in my employment for who knows how long. Hopefully no gap at all but right now nobody knows for sure.

I have noticed that on nights I'm not striking good my spare conversion is pretty good but on nights my strikes are on I struggle with spares. Lately my strike % has been between 50-60% but my spare conversion is about 65-70%.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

High Roller

Sanded the Rhino to 3000 matte today. Tonight I was 5/6 on 7 pins (missed the first one then made the next 5), and was 92% on single pins (12/13) and 4/4 on multi pins. Can't say for sure the new surface was the reason but it worked for tonight.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Sanded the Rhino to 3000 matte today. Tonight I was 5/6 on 7 pins (missed the first one then made the next 5), and was 92% on single pins (12/13) and 4/4 on multi pins. Can't say for sure the new surface was the reason but it worked for tonight.
    I must say that I am rarely surprised by any posting I see here, but you did it with this one. Mostly I hear from long time bowlers things that indicate that they think that their physical abilities, or lack there of, are totally responsible for their bowling successes and failures. They disregard the differences between bowling balls, changing lane conditions, topography, and effects of other bowlers in favor of how they throw each shot. You've gone totally in the other direction. Spare shooting does not take power, it does not take ball speed, it does not take hook, it simply takes accuracy. Accuracy is tied to timing. When your accuracy is lacking, it's usually because your timing is off. How is it that you think that changing the surface on your bowling ball will have any effect on your accuracy? Sometimes it's O.K. to take credit for your own bowling ability rather than your ability to use sandpaper! LOL

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I must say that I am rarely surprised by any posting I see here, but you did it with this one. Mostly I hear from long time bowlers things that indicate that they think that their physical abilities, or lack there of, are totally responsible for their bowling successes and failures. They disregard the differences between bowling balls, changing lane conditions, topography, and effects of other bowlers in favor of how they throw each shot. You've gone totally in the other direction. Spare shooting does not take power, it does not take ball speed, it does not take hook, it simply takes accuracy. Accuracy is tied to timing. When your accuracy is lacking, it's usually because your timing is off. How is it that you think that changing the surface on your bowling ball will have any effect on your accuracy? Sometimes it's O.K. to take credit for your own bowling ability rather than your ability to use sandpaper! LOL
    Pretty sure my accuracy had something to do with it but have to say my accuracy on my strike balls was off last night. But by adding a little surface I'm sure I saved a couple of potential missed 7's last night. A couple of them got to the edge of the gutter a little early but hung on where in the last few weeks it slid right off with the polished surface. A few of my 7's were dead on last night but at least 2 rode the ledge for a few feet. Just wish I could put a night together where both are working, strikes and spares. Seems I can get one or the other but not both.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

It just so happens that this year I am bowling in an almost-scratch trios league with a bowler who also insists on using a non-aggressive reactive ball to shoot at ten pins (he's a righty). He's pretty good at riding the friction and picking them up most of the time EXCEPT when he comes up in the tenth frame of a close game (he's the lead-off bowler) where we need a mark. If he happens to leave a ten, he will miss it for the simple reason that to pick it up, he has to be perfect, and the more pressure, the harder it is to be perfect. If you are ever in Vegas, let me know and I'll introduce you to him.

High Roller

I usually do better under pressure. Back in the early 90's I was anchor and when it was down to the 10th and a tight game I would walk up and say 'Hamma Time' (I was using a Brunswick back then...lol). But I enjoyed being the one the team relied on at the end. But back then I was one of the top 5 or so in our league. But for me it seems I have to be a little more perfect with less traction. I'm sure there is some mental aspect to that too but I know if I miss outside with a little friction it is more likely to hold on but if I miss outside with no friction it will drop off. I have a teammate that uses his strikeball for 7's (he is a lefty too). He doesn't even go cross alley. His ball turns hard right at the breakpoint but somehow he can keep it on that edge most of the time. It does break and catch the inside of the 7 but he also misses it quite a bit too. He is even more stubborn that me about it...lol. I mentioned to him about trying a different ball for 7s but he has a DV8 Pitbull with a 1000 matte finish and uses it for every ball he throws. He stands slightly left of center and throws right down about the 1st arrow.

On my first 7 pin last night I missed my mark at the arrows to the outside by a board or 2. The next few were right on it. Overall last night was a struggle with consistency but seems like I was good when it came to spare shooting. But I did use my normal release for the 7 pin instead of trying to flatten out my hand so I'm sure that helped.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12