Thread: Weird track???

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default Weird track???

So haven't thrown my Conspiracy in awhile but started the night with it. Noticed the track was around the bottom of the ball about 4-5" from the thumbhole and around the bottom 1/3 of the ball (if the finger holes are at the top). Never saw that before and when I switched balls it was a normal track. I only used the Conspiracy for a few frames and didn't like it so put it away for the night.

Any thoughts on the weird track? The flare was about 2"
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I know the track is sometimes different from ball to ball (assuming the same drill). I have a full roller and my track is always between fingers and thumb and usually has the same angle through the T line. A track that is closer to fingers tends to go long and flip harder, closer to the thumb is early reading and gives more of a rounded shape. Maybe the pin to CG distance is a factor too.
    Recently retired and returning to bowing after a 12 year break
    Slower ball speed with dominate revs, prefer strait at the pocket but deep is fine too
    In my bag... Storm Phase 3, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Storm IQ Tour Emerald, 900 Global White Hot Badger, Motiv Venom Recoil, and Motiv Supra Enzo

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by six6guy View Post
    I know the track is sometimes different from ball to ball (assuming the same drill). I have a full roller and my track is always between fingers and thumb and usually has the same angle through the T line. A track that is closer to fingers tends to go long and flip harder, closer to the thumb is early reading and gives more of a rounded shape. Maybe the pin to CG distance is a factor too.
    Not sure. All of mine are drilled very close to the same. I just have never seen a track in this area before. Imagine the ball setting in a cup with the fingers/thumbhole facing up towards the ceiling. The track was about 2" up from the bottom of the ball the whole way around. Really nowhere near the finger or thumbholes. I threw the ball 3 times in warmups and it went right to the pocket and struck so nothing looked odd about it. Being all black it is hard to tell exactly what it is doing going down the lane.

Just watched Mo's video here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPwD...ature=youtu.be

And it looked sort of close to where he drew the line for the track at the pins but it had some flare to it. That might have been the track I was seeing but I could not see any other track. It didn't look like there was oil on the track, just kind of like a wear mark with barely visible oil on it but no other tracks anywhere. So that mystery might have been solved...lol. Either way the ball stopped working after warmups so I switched to the Squatch.

Here is the ball when I bought it just for layout reference
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    So haven't thrown my Conspiracy in awhile but started the night with it. Noticed the track was around the bottom of the ball about 4-5" from the thumbhole and around the bottom 1/3 of the ball (if the finger holes are at the top). Never saw that before and when I switched balls it was a normal track. I only used the Conspiracy for a few frames and didn't like it so put it away for the night.

Any thoughts on the weird track? The flare was about 2"
    If the track on the Conspiracy is on a different part of the ball than it was before, Then you were most likely releasing it differently than you were before when you used it for some reason Or you miss read where the track actually was on the ball now or then.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

You can put a small piece of bright colored tape onto the ball so you can see it reacting to the lane better. I use electrical tape from Pep Boys. For a full roller I put the tape near the thumb but for a 3/4 roller it might be better closer to fingers. Anyway, mark the ball in question and also mark a ball with a normal track, then give them each a few rolls and watch. Maybe a friend can help video tape the balls travel down the lane for you.

If it really is a weird track then I suspect a difference in the core flip area. Not that that is a bad thing, just different.
    Slower ball speed with dominate revs, prefer strait at the pocket but deep is fine too
    In my bag... Storm Phase 3, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Storm IQ Tour Emerald, 900 Global White Hot Badger, Motiv Venom Recoil, and Motiv Supra Enzo

Quote Originally Posted by six6guy View Post
    If it really is a weird track then I suspect a difference in the core flip area. Not that that is a bad thing, just different.
    What in the world is "the core flip area"?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I don't know if he means this, But I seen the term "flip area" in regard to a ball once or twice before. It was referring to the mass bias (MB) placement in relation to the track and VAL

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller

I saw the same track last night on one of my other balls. Pretty sure it's what Mo described in the video I linked. It looks like the track at the pins. Lanes were really dry again last night so hard to see the 'normal' track
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Maybe not the best description, sorry about that. The portion or segment of the balls path down the lane when the core flips and changes (or hooks) the path. I've heard the segments of the path referred to as skid and flip. At the point where the ball starts hooking...

I have a couple balls that have one track during the skid portion and the flare bow tie is a few inches off that track. Most of my balls have the flare bow tie on the same track as the skid track. I don't know why some are different, but they are.

So, going back to the weird track thought, the mass bias that is in asymmetrical balls does not cause the ball to hook, it simply accentuates the hook. This is the reason that bowlers who are not adept at releasing the ball constantly should stick with symmetrical balls. I have one student who has raised his average significantly just by staying away from asymmetrical balls. There is no way that the core of a ball will suddenly cause a ball to track almost at the bottom of the ball (spinner). What will cause the ball to track low, is a release that is coming over the top of the ball rather than out through it.