Thread: Decided to do my own resurfacing by hand......

Chats: 0

Default Decided to do my own resurfacing by hand......

I got some 400, 600 and 800 grit sandpaper. I used 800 grit on my Blue Hammer urethane ball but it didn't have the action I was looking for with my release. Tonight I changed it to a 400 grit surface to see how it will work tomorrow at practice. My pro shop put a 600 grit surface on my Columbia yellow dot ball but it wasn't working right for me. So I changed it to a 400 grit surface and it is working great with the release I have. I know that I should get a ball spinner but I wanted to see how doing it by hand would work for me. So far it works fine. I have seen videos on how to do it by hand. I want to do it on my own because then I will save money instead of having the pro shop do it. Sometimes they don't have the time to do it on the day you want it or you have to leave your ball there and pick it up later. So now if I need to change a surface or redo a surface I can get the grit I want and have at it.

I found a real good sandpaper at Home Depot.It is 3M pro grade precision sandpaper. The grit on this cuts easily so you don't need a lot of pressure. It doesn't get all clogged up either. If you want to clear it you just tap it with your fingers and the residue comes off with no problem. It is great stuff if you are sanding by hand like me. I am glad I decided to do this. I am liking the money I save and it doesn't take that long to do. Try it and you will probably like it. I know I do.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Ringer

This will sound like the craziest question ever but do you have a top load washing machine?

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    This will sound like the craziest question ever but do you have a top load washing machine?
    Yes.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Yes.
    Ok, so do I. Mine has like a cone on the top of the agitator and a bowling ball will balance there. I put the thumb hole either straight up or straight down because that helps with initial balance. Then I jimmy the lid latch with a screwdriver so that it will run on the spin cycle with the lid open. And like magic, we have an instant ball spinner! I have sanded or polished many balls this way. If the ball is too far out of balance it will fall off, so be careful. But thumb up is usually pretty safe.
    Last edited by sprocket; 01-15-2020 at 10:29 PM.