Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I call bulls**t

I don't really see an issue either. As sponsor, they want to get people interested in their houses/leagues/etc and this is a good way for exposure and some incentive.

Chats: 256

My Wednesday league is in an AMF center. I am going to enter for the next event, if there is a next one.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I think that it should be open to those who don't use their bowling centers, because I'm sure there are many bowlers out there who do not even live near one. However, I think they have the right to make rules like that if they want to, and people who don't like it need not take part.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

So here is my question to those saying it should be open to all bowlers.

My local house offers up a end of the season tournament for teams that place in the top 2 to 4 places in their league (number of entries are dependent on size of the league) that has some decent size prizes for a 6 game tournament ($5,000 for first, $2,500 for second, etc.) - this is obviously limited to teams/bowlers that bowl in a league at the house and you have to establish a set number of games in the league to be a qualifying bowler. Should this be open to all teams/bowlers in the area to participate in regardless of what house their respective team participated in league?
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post

My local house offers up a end of the season tournament for teams that place in the top 2 to 4 places in their league (number of entries are dependent on size of the league) that has some decent size prizes for a 6 game tournament ($5,000 for first, $2,500 for second, etc.) - this is obviously limited to teams/bowlers that bowl in a league at the house and you have to establish a set number of games in the league to be a qualifying bowler. Should this be open to all teams/bowlers in the area to participate in regardless of what house their respective team participated in league?
    Since I would guess that the house is putting up a substantial part of the prize money, the tournament should be limited to teams that bowl at that center.
    If it were the case that the prize money were entirely from entry fees or a combination of entry fees and sponsors other than the bowling center it would make sense to open it to the top teams from other centers as well.
    John

I think that however they do it is up to them. If people don't like it, then the don't need to go.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

My argument to this is that this is a local tournament being offered by a local house. The Bowlero tourney is nation wide, being used to possible pull in new league bowlers, most of which would come from where? Small local houses. Bowlero wants to be the face of bowling in this country, which is why they bought the PBA. I hate to say that the rules apply differently here, but they do. We have a tough enough time keeping the smaller house open now.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

High Roller

I see valid points on both sides but my thoughts are if you want the best of the best you have to open it up to anyone that wants to enter. An example is let's say my league. We have a few very good league bowlers averaging 230's. If Bowlero has a tournament at the house an hour away why not try to attract the best of the best? I guess I'm looking at it as a competition where they are looking at it as a way to grow their company.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Cranker

You have to remember Bowlero is putting up 100% of the money so why should they open it to all bowlers? Just for being selected I believe you get $2000 and for each round you advanced was another $3000 I think. This isn't a normal tournament where bowlers pay an entrance fee and the prize fund is derived from the fees. As for the bowler's skill level, I actually thought the bowlers were all pretty solid, most of them had multiple 300s and 800 series. Elizabeth Jones was the only bowler who didn't really belong.

Did anyone watch all the rounds of the tournament? Greg Thompson impressed the heck out of me, I know he only bowled a 172 and lost his first match but if you watch closely, he hurt his hand or finger in the 1st or 2nd frame. He then bowled with only his thumb and middle finger the rest of the match, that was pretty impressive.

High Roller

If they put up all of the prize money then like I said in my first post, their sandbox, their rules. If the bowlers paid entry fees then maybe they should open it up to more but I wasn't aware of the format or where the prize fund came from.
    Unfortunately I only saw the final game. Didn't know anything about it and just happened to catch it while flipping through the channels.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast