Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini Bowling for Practice?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    It just seems everybody has been pushing me to get a coach, even after I said I couldn't.
    Well you just got to realize you see the suggestion so much because The number of people on the bowling forums have dropped over the years and a big part of the ones left are the ones who are long time dedicated bowlers and/or coaches themselves.

So they tend to always include the suggestion to get coaching because it can give you more direct targeted help than you might be able to get from a online source, Plus it helps to promote coaching. So it's just become kind of a "matter of form" to include suggesting someone get a coach, So there's no reason to feel pushed.

I guess I'm just getting a little tired of it, y'know?.
    Certainly, I've been on the bowling forums for IDK 30 years now and I myself at one point got sick of seeing the "You need to get a coach...." reply given to people for even the simplest of questions. (I've even seen it drive newcomers off the boards, They ask a simple question and that's the only response they got and they didn't come back.)

Just to note: I think coaching is a valuable resource and if a player has the means to avail themselves of it they should, Even if it's a small one day bowling camp. It can help you in ways you may never have guessed.

But if you can't don't feel bad, Many can't. Use the resources you have available, Talk to the pro in the shop, other players, the internet (Youtube, Forums like this one etc.) just double check the information.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Well you just got to realize you see the suggestion so much because The number of people on the bowling forums have dropped over the years and a big part of the ones left are the ones who are long time dedicated bowlers and/or coaches themselves.

So they tend to always include the suggestion to get coaching because it can give you more direct targeted help than you might be able to get from a online source, Plus it helps to promote coaching. So it's just become kind of a "matter of form" to include suggesting someone get a coach, So there's no reason to feel pushed.

Certainly, I've been on the bowling forums for IDK 30 years now and I myself at one point got sick of seeing the "You need to get a coach...." reply given to people for even the simplest of questions. (I've even seen it drive newcomers off the boards, They ask a simple question and that's the only response they got and they didn't come back.)

Just to note: I think coaching is a valuable resource and if a player has the means to avail themselves of it they should, Even if it's a small one day bowling camp. It can help you in ways you may never have guessed.

But if you can't don't feel bad, Many can't. Use the resources you have available, Talk to the pro in the shop, other players, the internet (Youtube, Forums like this one etc.) just double check the information.
    Thank you for all the help. I've never heard of “one day bowling camp”... Hmm, thanks, I may have to look into that!

I have tried getting help from several of the high-score holders at my bowling alley, and they have been able to assist me a lot. I think that practice and building muscle memory for what works may be what I need most of all right now. That, and to get my reactive ball drilled and start using it.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Thank you for all the help. I've never heard of “one day bowling camp”... Hmm, thanks, I may have to look into that!
    Yeah a lot of houses have bowling camps/clinics etc. They are usually one day group coaching sessions with a coach or Pro and are usually pretty cheap.

They are not like a full one on one coaching session, but the coach will come around give each bowler some type of tips etc.

Another thing to watch out for are Demo days, During demo days, they bring in several models of balls, in several different weights for people to try out.

The demo balls are drilled with several different spans (they might not be a perfect fit ,but should be close.) and use interchangeable thumb and finger grips in the hole.

So when you come in you get fitted for your grips, you pick out the ball you want to try, with a span close to yours. Put the grips in and try it, when your done. You take it back, take the grips out and try another one.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Yeah a lot of houses have bowling camps/clinics etc. They are usually one day group coaching sessions with a coach or Pro and are usually pretty cheap.

They are not like a full one on one coaching session, but the coach will come around give each bowler some type of tips etc.

Another thing to watch out for are Demo days, During demo days, they bring in several models of balls, in several different weights for people to try out.

The demo balls are drilled with several different spans (they might not be a perfect fit ,but should be close.) and use interchangeable thumb and finger grips in the hole.

So when you come in you get fitted for your grips, you pick out the ball you want to try, with a span close to yours. Put the grips in and try it, when your done. You take it back, take the grips out and try another one.
    I know my bowling alley does demo days, but I never knew what it was. Is it open to anybody? Is it expensive?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I know my bowling alley does demo days, but I never knew what it was. Is it open to anybody? Is it expensive?
    Demo days are usually open to anyone, the cost can vary. We had a 900 Global Demo a few months back, The cost was $10 which if you purchase a ball within 30 days $10 will be taken off price of the ball.

The ProShop here hosted a Motiv Test Drive, it was $20 plus you got $20 off any Motiv ball purchased before a certain date and if you signed up early you got a Tshirt.

Demo days are usually open to anyone, the cost can vary. We had a 900 Global Demo a few months back, The cost was $10 which if you purchase a ball within 30 days $10 will be taken off price of the ball.

The ProShop here hosted a Motiv Test Drive, it was $20 plus you got $20 off any Motiv ball purchased before a certain date and if you signed up early you got a Tshirt.
    Sounds really neat. I'm going to look into when the next time my bowling alley has a demo day. It sounds like a great opportunity to see how throwing a heavier ball or a ball with fingertips feels. Never used fingertips before.

Chats: 32

Demo days are good for experiments like that. Do be aware at most Demo days I've been to locally the ball/weight selection is somewhat limited. It's not hard to find a 15 lbs. in a the right size 14 lbs. a little less selection trying to find below that will be difficult. Maybe the selection is larger in other areas but here if your looking a 13 lbs. small you'll be lucky if they have one and you may find that you have to try a 12lbs or 14lbs. Just trying to make sure you understand before you get there
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Demo days are good for experiments like that. Do be aware at most Demo days I've been to locally the ball/weight selection is somewhat limited. It's not hard to find a 15 lbs. in a the right size 14 lbs. a little less selection trying to find below that will be difficult. Maybe the selection is larger in other areas but here if your looking a 13 lbs. small you'll be lucky if they have one and you may find that you have to try a 12lbs or 14lbs. Just trying to make sure you understand before you get there
    Thanks for the tips. I think I'd still like to give it a try, just to see what it's like. :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12