Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Bowling for Practice?

Default Mini Bowling for Practice?

Recently I picked up a mini bowling set for $2 in Christmas clearance. The pins are cheap plastic and hollow, 3.25 inches tall, and there's only six of them. The ball is made of somewhat hard rubber, about 1.5 inches tall, and weighs 1.77 ounces. I've been playing around with this set in my spare time, setting up the pins across the room (12.7 feet of lane with extra room to approach) and treating it as though it's an actual lane.

It's harmless fun, but beyond that, I'm wondering if using it as practice can help me improve things like stance, approach, aim, etc. What do you think? Do other people here use mini bowling as practice? Is the idea a sound one?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    Is the idea a sound one?
    NO, Basically your just rolling a big rubber marble across the floor, if anything it would probably promote some bad habits.

There are better at home practice drills, Doing a little research in the forum and Google and youtube will reveal them.

Example:
    This has been around for years as a way to practice release, just rolling your ball into the couch.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-03-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Example: Release and Finish Drills To Do At Home | USBC Bowling Academy

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Thanks for the videos. I just figured I'd get y'all's opinions; I'm mainly just mini bowling for fun, anyway. I was wondering if I could use it for practice, but even if I could, it would just be a side-benefit anyway, haha. The main goal is fun.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I agree. No benefit at all and maybe even hurt your game. But 'A' for thinking outside the box.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I agree. No benefit at all and maybe even hurt your game. But 'A' for thinking outside the box.
    Haha, thanks.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Forgot to add the caveat "If really what to learn to or improve your bowling, You should look into getting a certified coach. "

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Forgot to add the caveat "If really what to learn to or improve your bowling, You should look into getting a certified coach. "
    Thank you, but I've been told that before. I am not going to, at least not right now. I want to improve, but I don't plan on ever going pro or making money off the hobby, so I need to limit the amount of money I put into it. It already costs a very minimum of $20 for 3 games and the gas to drive there and back, not counting anything extra. Multiply that by every week, and it adds up. I don't feel right about splurging the large amount of money it takes for a coach. I know I might improve with a coach, but for me it's only a fun hobby, and if you put that much money into something it ceases to be fun.

I didn't think I needed to get into all that, but ever since I joined several members have really been on me about getting a coach. I really don't mean to be rude, as I think you mean well, but sometimes it is just not in the budget. At least, not for me.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    I didn't think I needed to get into all that, but ever since I joined several members have really been on me about getting a coach. I really don't mean to be rude, as I think you mean well, but sometimes it is just not in the budget. At least, not for me.
    Don't worry I don't think your being rude, I understand the strain on the budget and time getting coaching can be. The caveat was just a rubber stamp post to give options and cover the bases.

Don't worry I don't think your being rude, I understand the strain on the budget and time getting coaching can be. The caveat was just a rubber stamp post to give options and cover the bases.
    Thank you for understanding.

It just seems everybody has been pushing me to get a coach, even after I said I couldn't. I guess I'm just getting a little tired of it, y'know? I didn't think I needed to explain myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast